Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Rear Ladder DEAD... Time to Replace. Any suggestions?

Hey all!

The ladder on the rear of my new to me 1993 Gulf Stream Ultra 29' c-class is dead. Three of the 4 supports are completely rusted away. Any suggestions as to what brand or where to look for my next ladder? I've seen a lot of universals online so far. Thanks

Sean
seanoliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
There was a RV salvage site someone posted a link to on here within the last month or so that had literally hundreds of ladders in a picture. If I can find it, I'll post it here, or maybe someone who bookmarked it will stop by and link it for you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seanoliveira, where are you located ? In Southern CA there is Walt's RV Supplies.
located in Rialto,CA. I have personally seen many mtr hm ladders in their inventory.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #4

Im located in Upstate NY so Cali might be a little out of the way for me but I've been doing a lot of shopping online for these. Any suggestions for a brand that may be better then others? Or is universal ok to? I prefer amazon so if you had a second, pop on there and search RV ladders. If someone see's one that's particularly "good" let me know. Thanks guys!

Sean

PS I really dont need to replace the whole ladder. It's the mounts that are shot. Anywhere to buy the mounts on their own? Maybe that salvage site? Seems like ladder kits are all that's available.
seanoliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When my dad died I inhearated (Among other things) a ladder, this is a convertable it is either a step ladder, (I have never actually measured it but it's about 8 or 9 feet) or an extension ladder. IT's a Crafstman product per the label.

I had my body man bend me a couple of "J" hooks, He made 'em out of diamond plate (The kind used to make bumpers for pick ups) and drilled 'em for me, I mounted them near the roofline (Just below it, within an inch) with the screws going into good wood (Well all but one, that one got a molly bolt).

Down around eye level I put a "Shower assist" bar (Bath isle in a hardware or home improvement store)

The ladder hangs on the J-hooks and is bungeed (and bicycle cable locked) to the shower assist bar down below.

Major advantage.. That OEM ladder scared me, I'm over 300 pounds and.. Well, that ladder I'd not trust at half that. The Sears job is rated 250 and has no problem with all 300 + of me plus tooles and parts for repair of the Air Conditoiner and such.

PLUS. I really do not like climbing a "Verticle ladder" (Wall mounted ladder) I"m much more comfortable clmibing a slanted ladder (Like a standard extension or step ladder)

And what's more.. This ladder will come in very handy, When I do the roof (Tomorrow) it will be used in extension mode as the roof ladder.. When I wash and wax (Following days) it's a step ladder for getting the sided done. Best of both worlds.

The only thing better would be one of the "Segmented" jobs where I could set it so it had a short "Scaffold" section But alas, My dad bought it before they became popular.

Tags
replace