Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #15

Like others have said, the rentals are pretty basic. Usually no awnings or even rear bumpers. No TV, no antenna, nor music system.

Also the mattresses are vinyl covered and sticky and hard. Might not have a gas oven or even a microwave. The ones we rented had generators though.

Look closely and make a list of missing items or things you would want to upgrade and add the prices to overall cost. It might not end up being that good of a deal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My rental didn't come w TV but has a good sound system. MOST motorhomes don't come with a gas oven anymore. They put the convection/microwave combo in them. I do miss my truck campers gas oven sometimes.

My rental unit had everything I wanted. I did not want slides ...one more potential problem when on the road . I have a tv I can install but honestly I've never taken it out of the box in 2.5 yrs. I just dont watch it.

I loved the zero carpeting and mine came w a brand new queen mattress that isn't in vinyl.

So for my needs and wants saving thousands to get the year I wanted and the features I wanted made sense.

Even if you buy brand new you can be facing huge issues. A friend bought brand new then had huge issues. And no RV to use for several weeks costing her in hotel costs, van rental costs and dining out costs since she couldn't use it for a planned trip that had no ability to change dates.

Buying used is also a gamble . Spend some time searching and get what makes sense for your needs and budget.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #17

Red face I wouldn't

Every time we are cruising down the highway at 55-62 mph in our Class C and another Class C comes barreling by us at 70/75+ it is a rental, every time! The bare bones rental fleets are turned every few years for a reason. If they had lots of good, trouble free years left why would the companies fire sale price them just to make them go away?

Despite the relatively high cost of renting few renters get thoroughly checked out in operation of all of the onboard systems. We have encountered quite a few rentals in our travels, seen lots of smokers, multiple pets and a lot of felony stupid. Most renters have no clue about the importance of leveling the coach, how and when to utilize the Tow Haul, proper operation of the furnace, water heaters etc..

There is one and only one reason to buy a former rental and that is money. Yep, they are cheaper, often a lot cheaper and there are a number of very good reasons for that. Keep in mind that the people that know that coach the best want it gone. Lots of folks have a had good luck buying former rentals but at best it is a crapshoot. While not a fan of extended warranties I would not touch a rental without one. Like the man said.... "You pays your money and takes your chances". Good luck!

As always.... Opinions and YMMV

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #18

Well it looks like the OP bought a MH from a private party, a week or so ago, so I'd guess he's not interested in this thread any longer. Aside from that, with all the stories I've read, about the potential dangers or problems with buying a former rental, and how they've been mistreated/abused, I've yet to read of anyone that has bought one, having any problems.
On the other hand, there are all kinds of horror stories of problems, from people who have bought new units.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

I too, have not read one sad or horror story about a rental purchase.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Well it looks like the OP bought a MH from a private party, a week or so ago, so I'd guess he's not interested in this thread any longer. Aside from that, with all the stories I've read, about the potential dangers or problems with buying a former rental, and how they've been mistreated/abused, I've yet to read of anyone that has bought one, having any problems.
On the other hand, there are all kinds of horror stories of problems, from people who have bought new units.
You are correct sir! I made my purchase from a private party a week ago today. A very nice 05 Leprechaun with lower miles than the rental I was looking at.
I will say had not the wife been turned off by the floor plan I think I could have seen myself going this direction. This motorhome was no stripped down rental and it was from a very long standing and reputable dealer in the area.

Here is the link to the one I was looking at. The price showing is not what he quoted me. I could have got into this one for $49,500
Minnesota RV | 2013 CLASS C MOTOR HOME Winnebago Access 26Q

As it is I'm very pleased with the deal I made with the private party and spent almost exactly half of what I would have had I purchased the rental.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #21

UP North, congrats I was going to post but saw that one of the posters said you had already bought one. I was going to suggest that you buy from a private party or dealer rather than a Rental Return. My brother in law owns two shops where they buy/sell/remodel used MH's and he will never buy a Rental Return as he doesn't want any of his customers having problems down the road and he can't trace the ownership/use ect. He goes thru every MH and fixes any issues as well as puts new tires and brakes on them. He also give you a 90 day bumper to bumper warranty and sells extended warranties. He has all kinds of MH's you are looking for at the same or less price you would be looking at. Good luck with your new MH.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:23 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations Up North on finding a good deal that works for you! I hope you have as much enjoyment with it as I've had with mine
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
UP North, congrats I was going to post but saw that one of the posters said you had already bought one. I was going to suggest that you buy from a private party or dealer rather than a Rental Return. My brother in law owns two shops where they buy/sell/remodel used MH's and he will never buy a Rental Return as he doesn't want any of his customers having problems down the road and he can't trace the ownership/use ect. He goes thru every MH and fixes any issues as well as puts new tires and brakes on them. He also give you a 90 day bumper to bumper warranty and sells extended warranties. He has all kinds of MH's you are looking for at the same or less price you would be looking at. Good luck with your new MH.

I can't speak for any other company but I did get a 90 Day warranty AND the option to get an extended warranty even with the higher mileage on my unit from Cruise America (you usually can't get extended warranties for as high a mileage as our units from Cruise America come with). They have a dedicated Refurbish division that all of their retired rentals go through and have anything that needs replacing, replaced. Our unit came with brand new Fridge and all paperwork for said fridge, brand new tires and paperwork for those too.. Also a brand new mattress and brand new linoleum on the floor.

I've put a lot of miles on it in the past few years including a cross country trip this past spring and this rig doesn't burn a drop of oil nor does the oil ever get gunky looking between changes (which we have to do every 4,000 miles or 9 months per warranty requirements).

Unless you buy brand spanking new you can NEVER know how a rig was driven, nor cared for is the reality

My other half did go through the rig from top to bottom to check for any mechanical defects and if he wasn't a good mechanic in his own right, we'd have had an independent RV tech go through the unit prior to purchase but I'd do that with ANY used unit frankly it just makes sense (same thing when buying a used car).

Luckily there are tons of options for RV's out there so even those of us on a tight budget can usually find a safe, decent running rig to enjoy in a floor plan that works best for our needs