Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 04:39 PM   #1

Repeat blowing rear tire question

have a 2001 Fleetwood tiago 31 class c.

3rd owner from new, we put 10,000 miles on it no issues since bought 3 years ago. now move forward to a recent trip of 2500 miles and we blew or tread worn off to the dangerous level 4 tires, 3 on same side in back and 1 front, 3 in back (dually) all happened to be on drivers side. I don't think im over weight, or that would even be the problem since it was tread wearing out badly and UNEVEN WEAR.. any suggestions.

since coming home we have had it aligned, wheel bearings checked/ front end rods.etc checked by rv dealer, all was fine, and repacked bearings, all new tires all the way around. old tires were under 15000 and less than 4 years old by the way, one tire wore out and it was new!

any suggestions or things I missed. I have had it 2 places, alignment center and rv dealership for inspection, no issues, except the front end was way out of alignment
bulldogs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 04:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post

3rd owner from new, we put 10,000 miles on it no issues since bought 3 years ago. now move forward to a recent trip of 2500 miles and we blew or tread worn off to the dangerous level 4 tires, 3 on same side in back and 1 front, 3 in back (dually) all happened to be on drivers side. I don't think im over weight, or that would even be the problem since it was tread wearing out badly and UNEVEN WEAR.. any suggestions.

since coming home we have had it aligned, wheel bearings checked/ front end rods.etc checked by rv dealer, all was fine, and repacked bearings, all new tires all the way around. old tires were under 15000 and less than 4 years old by the way, one tire wore out and it was new!

any suggestions or things I missed. I have had it 2 places, alignment center and rv dealership for inspection, no issues, except the front end was way out of alignment
what air pressure did you run... did you check before driving
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogs101 View Post

is this right??? you bought it never changed the tires, had it for 3 years,
put 12500 miles..how many miles on the tires before you got it???

what was the date code on the tires?
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

date codes were just about 3 1/2 years old and 4 years old, they did not have many miles on them as stated, air pressure was put to factory max, as stated inside door and yes checked it every few days. what bothered me is the tread wear was way off to, inside and outside of tire was nearly bald, yet center had decent tread on 1 tire, rear and front also. its weird, not sure what is going on
Old 02-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

tires had about 8000 miles on them when purchased, tread depth was great also, even before I took off on trip the tread depth was great
Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #6

In my basic suspension class we teach wear on outsides of tread is from low inflation. Have you checked to see if your gauge is accurate? I don"t generally trust the one on the end of station hoses, most are not very accurate. I would also play with inflation pressures using what tire is rated at ( on tire sidewall), not the tire pressure label on the unit.Yours would not be the first that the manufacturer pressure recommendation is too low-remember the Firestone/Ford Explorer tire issue. Quick and dirty way to see what is contact patch like-wet down pavement in front of tires being looked at, drive through slowly and inspect tracks. If light in center tire is under-inflated. Can you post a picture of worn tire as I can be off base without seeing the wear.

Next step would be to measure setback ( wheelbase on both sides from center to center of axles ). Plain old tape measure will do. If different tire wear will be accelerated. Usually results from rear axle shifting . 1/4 inch is a huge difference without being readily apparent to the eye. Alignment shop should have done this but too many are of the "set the toe and let it go" variety. Check for yourself. Causes could be from bent/damaged suspension components to loose u-bolts on rear axle. If u-bolts are the cause they must be replaced not simply tightened.

Please post what you find as I am now officially curious and others may benefit from your findings.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Did you need to add air, often. Could be leaky valves.

Check for shifted rear axle, centerbolt broken.

Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #8

Commercial Member

Have any pictures of the worn tires?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #9

First off are you running the correct size tire as in width and correct PSI? With width you might feel to be more stable but also if someone never knew duel tires must (MUST) have space between them as they will rub together and blow out because even with correct pressure it the tires touch at the point of contact (road) and rub causing over heated sidewalls.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have a friend who blew a tire and after replacing it, blew the new tire before going 100 miles. Turns out the screws from clearance lights were never trimmed and when bouncing down the bumpy road, the exposed screws cut and punctured the tire. So check your fender-well's all over for protruding objects.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Have a friend who blew a tire and after replacing it, blew the new tire before going 100 miles. Turns out the screws from clearance lights were never trimmed and when bouncing down the bumpy road, the exposed screws cut and punctured the tire. So check your fender-well's all over for protruding objects.
This would be a step in the right direction because he states the tires where 4 years old and properly inflated, wheel bearings checked, suspension parts checked. It really points to something abnormal.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
what tire brand .pressure frt & rear? only allowed 14.050 k total if u look at door jam, should say 65 max frt 80 rear. that 65 is based on 4600 allowered on frt, & 80 is for 9450 0n rear. also need to get it weighed
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
This would be a step in the right direction because he states the tires where 4 years old and properly inflated, wheel bearings checked, suspension parts checked. It really points to something abnormal.
It is sad to say about the industry that has fed my family for a career but just because it was checked by a shop does not mean it was done properly. Too many poor excuses for technicians are looking for an easy fix, either from greed or ignorance. Suspension is hard to diagnose long distance. If you know anyone trusted in the trucking industry to recommend a good truck alignment shop you will get a tech much better at diagnosing what is essentially a commercial truck chassis.The really good ones will not hesitate to tell you if your rig is not in their area of expertise (most automotive shops).Try contacting truck fleet operators in your area for their recommendations. You will find that the truly skilled truck alignment shops will be used by most.
Again please keep us in the loop. You don't mention what area you are in but if you are in my area we could possibly look at it in one of my classes weather permitting. (my lab is too small for rv)
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #14

Commercial Member

The alignment may just have been a front end check. Did you get a Before & after printout?

"Thrust Angle
" is what some call the alignment of the rear axle with the centerline of the vehicle.

If the tires were OK before your trip and wore out in one trip then something mechanical changed.