Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #1

Replacing scissor couch with reclining couch.

I have a 2003 class c rv. We want to replace the uncomfortable scissor couch with a reclining couch. Here is the link to the couch we want -
https://www.recpro.com/products/recp...oveseat-toffee

It is 58"L x 37"W x 39"H. The current scissor couch is on a slide with small step. The distance from the wall to the front of the step is 27". The couch we are looking at is 37" deep. So it seems we would have a 10" overhang. Is there a way to make this work or do I need to buy a less deep reclining couch?

Here is a couple of pictures of the current couch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170402_160811.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	156949

Name:	20170402_160919.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	156950

Name:	20170402_160901.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	156951
tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I just replaced mine last week with that same one. I wrote about in the winnebago owners forum in the mods and fixes thread. here Look at post #153.
My platform is 32 inches deep and the metal frame extends past that by 3 inches. Also keep in mind you must allow about 3 inches wall clearance. I called Recpro and they were very helpful. I would suggest you do the same.
I sure hope it works out for you, I think it is one of the best upgrades you can do.
Btw: how wide is that area? Yours look very similar to mine and I was able to get the one that had the console between the chairs. The specs says it is 67" wide but in reality is is more like 65.5". My space is exactly 67" and it fit perfectly.

Please let me know how it goes for you.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #3

We replaced scissor couch with recliners in Sunseeker 1300SS. All we did was make a stand by drywall screwing together 2 2x4's cut to length of new couch and wrapped them with carpet that was stapled to the 2x4's. Then we would place that beneath the frame extension when the slide was out. We would pick up the 2x4's when moving the slide to prevent the added friction from damaging slide mechanism.
Jeff24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I just replaced mine last week with that same one. I wrote about in the winnebago owners forum in the mods and fixes thread. here Look at post #153.
My platform is 32 inches deep and the metal frame extends past that by 3 inches. Also keep in mind you must allow about 3 inches wall clearance. I called Recpro and they were very helpful. I would suggest you do the same.
I sure hope it works out for you, I think it is one of the best upgrades you can do.
Btw: how wide is that area? Yours look very similar to mine and I was able to get the one that had the console between the chairs. The specs says it is 67" wide but in reality is is more like 65.5". My space is exactly 67" and it fit perfectly.

Please let me know how it goes for you.
I called recpro and they weren't much help. They just told me it wouldn't fit. I am thinking I have two options:
1) Build a 13" extension to my existing landing (10" difference between couch depth and existing landing + 3" for gap to wall) and sit the new couch on it.
2) Find a less deep reclining couch.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Tmaxx,
Mine extends past the platform about 3 inches with no problem, so maybe just extend yous 10 inches. Also, when the recliner is fully reclined it comes out about 64". You should probably check that you can accommodate that as well.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Tmaxx,
The math does not seem to add up right in my head. you say your platform is 27" (It looks more like 28 to me) Mine is 32, That is is a difference of only 5 inches (or maybe 4). I think the difference in your calculation is that you are wanting to extend all the way out to the outside edge of the recliner. I would think it would only need to extend to the end of the metal frame. This is just 35 inches, even when adding in the 3" gap from the wall. Things may not be as far off as you think.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
Tmaxx,
The math does not seem to add up right in my head. you say your platform is 27" (It looks more like 28 to me) Mine is 32, That is is a difference of only 5 inches (or maybe 4). I think the difference in your calculation is that you are wanting to extend all the way out to the outside edge of the recliner. I would think it would only need to extend to the end of the metal frame. This is just 35 inches, even when adding in the 3" gap from the wall. Things may not be as far off as you think.
So your platform is 32" deep and the metal frame overhangs by 3" for a total of 35" from the back wall to the front of the metal frame. If that is correct, then for me that would mean I have a 35"-27"= 8" overhang of the metal frame. I think 8" is a bit too much to leave suspended, so perhaps I could slide underneath an 8" wide piece of plywood to hold up the 8" overlap. I could even screw down the couch to the additional plywood to help secure. Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2017, 06:54 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
How about covering the entire area of the platform with plywood that extends 8 inches. It would raise the couch the thickness of the plywood, but you should be able to live with that. I think half inch would do it.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:01 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
From the picture, yours looks 28 not 27. Mine has a bull nose round over which I am including. It looks to me like you are excluding that bull nose. If that is true, then mine is actually 31 by your way of measuring.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #10

I pulled out the jack knife couch today and took a look at the flooring underneath. I pulled back the carpet and there is 27" from the wall to the front of the landing. There is a 3" step from the floor up to the landing. If I account for a 3" gap between the wall and the back of the couch, with the yet to be purchased couch being 37" deep, then the edge of the couch will be 40" from the wall. I show this in the picture. The edge of the 2x4 farthest from the wall is where the edge of the couch would be. Putting the 2x4 on it's side pretty much is level with the top of the landing.
It doesn't seem that I could let the couch hang over the landing by so much as you can see in the picture. One solution perhaps would be to run a 2x4 on it's side the length of the couch to give support for the portion of the metal railing which is hanging over the landing. I would have to remove the 2x4 when sliding in and out.
Any other suggestions? Are there recliners which are not so deep? I can't seem to find any. Is my slide out landing @ 27" just too shallow to fit a reclining couch? I would really like to figure out a way to make this work since my wife and I would like to be able to kick our feet up after a long day of hiking
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170408_151947.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	157670  
Old 04-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
tmaxx-

I installed a reclining loveseat in my class C, also. I only had 27 inches of depth, but I needed 36" because the Lazy Boy I installed was anything but the "hugger" they said it was (it needed almost 8" of wall clearance.) Anyway.....underneath the carpet on the deck was a very substantial welded-up square aluminum tubing base. So I screwed a piece of 3/4 inch veneered plywood to it using the same self-tapping screws that held the OEM couch down. It is cantilevered out there about 9 inches and there is no problem. I did design some other features that allow me to push the recliner back to the wall for travel; I manually slide it toward the center for full reclining (I sleep on it cuz beds and I don't get along anymore.)

The CG of the "people-loaded" recliner is, I believe, a long way back from the front edge so the cantilevering thing is really not a big deal IMHO.

I documented my install but it is a 5 MB file so I can't post it. I'll send you a PM and if you think my document would be of any help, I can send it regular email.....no sweat.

BTW- I wish I had seen the recliner LarryJB found (and you are considering.) I have a feeling it is a lot better overall quality than the Lazy Boy I installed. But then mine has worked well for a year now, so no real complaints. It's called a "Pinnacle Love Seat Recliner" and is shown on the Lazy Boy website.

Good luck with your project.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:43 PM   #12

Tmaxx
RecPro also sells a recliner, 30" Charles zero wall recliner, that is only 30" deep according to the website
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Tmaxx,
I just measured from the wall to the front edge of the metal frame. It is 36". The front edge of the frame is actually set back about 4" from the actual front of the recliner.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
tmaxx-

I installed a reclining loveseat in my class C, also. I only had 27 inches of depth, but I needed 36" because the Lazy Boy I installed was anything but the "hugger" they said it was (it needed almost 8" of wall clearance.) Anyway.....underneath the carpet on the deck was a very substantial welded-up square aluminum tubing base. So I screwed a piece of 3/4 inch veneered plywood to it using the same self-tapping screws that held the OEM couch down. It is cantilevered out there about 9 inches and there is no problem. I did design some other features that allow me to push the recliner back to the wall for travel; I manually slide it toward the center for full reclining (I sleep on it cuz beds and I don't get along anymore.)

The CG of the "people-loaded" recliner is, I believe, a long way back from the front edge so the cantilevering thing is really not a big deal IMHO.

I documented my install but it is a 5 MB file so I can't post it. I'll send you a PM and if you think my document would be of any help, I can send it regular email.....no sweat.

BTW- I wish I had seen the recliner LarryJB found (and you are considering.) I have a feeling it is a lot better overall quality than the Lazy Boy I installed. But then mine has worked well for a year now, so no real complaints. It's called a "Pinnacle Love Seat Recliner" and is shown on the Lazy Boy website.

Good luck with your project.
Youracman, I pm'd you my email. Please send me your file documenting your sofa replacement.
Thanks