Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2023, 10:41 PM   #1

Replacing vs repairing seat belted jacknife sofa

We have bought a 2007 Forest River Sunseeker Class C with a seat belted jacknife sofa (in a slide) in pretty rough shape... We're considering reupholstering vs replacing, but both seem fairly complicated and potentially expensive.

The seatbelts are attached to the floor of the slide, and not sure if sofa replacement is even an option since the jacknife is bolted to the ground. Would we need to replace with one from the exact make and model of RV, or is there a "universal style" jacknife?

Any info or tips on repairing vs replacing would be awesome!
mutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2023, 05:08 AM   #2
YC1

A couple of pictures would really help.

We just replaced our sofa, (not jackknife), with a couple of pieces from LoveSac.

The bottom components have a couple of holes that we run the existing seat belts through to hold the pieces in place. It is highly unlikely we will ever tool down the road with passengers but if needed we could reroute the belts easily.

The LoveSac pieces can have the bottom parts as storage. The web site is lousy if you try to design your own setup but go very slow and it does work.

This stuff is not cheap. The covers are removable so you can clean them or even change them completely.

Thinking out of the box you might not even need the back or end pieces. Take a look and let your imagination work.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #3

I replaced my terrible jack knife sofa with recliners in the slide of my Forester. Removal was really straightforward, the couch disassembles pretty easily and unscrews from the floor. You could take the cushions in to be recovered or replace it with one the same width.
I left the seatbelts bolted to the floor and strapped them around the frame of my recliners.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:20 PM   #4

I've attached the only pic I have so far (don't mind my kid being weird). It doesn't show very well in the photo how worn and crappy the couch is. We had considered just replacing it with another couch because it would be reasonably easy to just pass the seatbelts through. But then the couch would have to be properly bolted to the floor, and I read somewhere that it would have to be approved by some sort of transportation board (?) in order to be considered legal for seatbelts. Which sounded like a long drawn out process...
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacknife.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	462.9 KB
ID:	387580  
Old 03-05-2023, 02:50 PM   #5
YC1

What is the width of it?

Old 03-05-2023, 03:01 PM   #6

About 66"
Old 03-06-2023, 05:49 AM   #7
YC1

Not trying to sell you anything.

The lovesac pieces are 29x35". They can be turned either way. There are arm rests to match for either way. They clamp together easily. Ten seconds and you're done.

The arm rests are 6" wide. You may not really even want the arm rests.

We bought two bottoms and one foot stool. It is the same dimensions as the base parts. It makes a fine long foot rest and can be stacked on top for traveling.

Old 03-06-2023, 09:56 AM   #8

Do you know if you can legally seat belt people to the Love Sac though? I feel like you can't, because they wouldn't be bolted to the ground... I guess that's my bigger question. How can we replace (or fix) the jackknife sofa while LEGALLY keeping it safe for seatbelts?
Old 03-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #9

Just a thought I’ve had for a very long time on this topic…….

Anyone know the survival statistics for anyone WITH ONLY A LAP BELT SEATED SIDEWAYS?

Today’s laws state people MUST wear seatbelts. I’ve never seen the words changed to a 3 point harness, which is what you’ll find in the front and rear seats of regular vehicles today. Motorhome seat belt assemblies aren’t even tested such as in regular vehicles.

Law says everyone must wear seatbelts……no one says you’ll survive.

Change out your furniture and secure it whatever way works for you with your seat belts whatever way works for you.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:50 AM   #10

Valid point. My kids won't be seatbelted there anyways, so maybe I need to stop overthinking it...

Tags
couch, jackknife, repair, seat, seatbelt, sofa