Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Researching Small C's Making My Head Spin!

Good day all.

First off, we are finally starting to put together a short list of what 25ftish motorhome(s) we are targeting. Since we want a small enough motorhome to fit in our back driveway, our choices are somewhat limited. We initially thought about the B+ due to minimal risk of cab leaks...but now are wanting a bunk cab for guests.

But here is the concern and confusion. So far Thor is the only company that sells it's structural integrity. And for the others, such as Coachmen...they all seem to sell eye candy without mentioning much about the engineering. Our main concern is leaks! I understand that Thor uses a one piece membrane over their cabs...but for the others, who also? And for structural frame and anchors...I can not find much else. I understand that Winnebago also takes pride in some of their engineering, but not as much in detail as Thor relays. As for Coachmen, it all feels like eye candy and not much more.

Which brings me to ask, am I the only one that thinks that manufactures or dealerships focus to much on the eye candy? Since many such as myself are noobs and wont ask a lot of engineering questions...it's all about first impressions?

Anyways, so far on the short list...

Thor Chateau 22E & Coachmen Leprechaun 21QB w/cab cover.

We are are not interested in the slide out...there are only two of us with small dogs. And we rather minimize the risk of leaks without one. Even though Thor claims to have the best slide out system to prevent such.

Even though the Thor seems to lack in quality interior trims, our gut is telling us to go with the Chateau for better integrity and deal or modify the aesthetics ourselves after.

Our head is spinning. Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated. Trying to find reviews and info on the engineering aspect has been quite the challenge last couple months.

And no thank you to diesel. We dont like the floor plans on the diesel B+'s and most feel cramped and limited....and of course comes with a slide out.

Cheers.
Josewales is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Josewales,

I'd go with a front runner in the rv world- Winnebago or Fleetwood. You'll be "head spinning" less if you limit the # of manufacturers you compare. Between the two you should be able to find a floor plan that suits you both. I wouldn't be afraid of buying a unit with a slide or two- with a little care and maint. the benefits far out weigh any disadvantage.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My 25 footer is made by Forest River. I went RV shopping with a friend who was looking at Winnebagos. If I knew then what I know now, I'd be driving a Winnebago.

If you are making your decision on what you read, especially when written by the sellers, you might be disappointed with your choice. I was very impressed by what I could and could not feel when sitting inside.

Winnebago has a special deal on their 28' Class A, the Vista 26HE. If you can handle a little extra length.

I have no connection to Winnebago, but I'd gladly test drive one for say... Oh, about the next 10 years.

Good hunting!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have a 24ft Forest River Solera on a Sprinter chassis. It is extremely well made, if you ask me. We have had it for one year (next week!) and have 17,000 miles on her. I wouldn't change ours for a Winnabago.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #5

Consider Lazydaze. This company has made class C products for 57 years, and has a loyal following Motorhome Dealer | Low Profile Motorhome | RV Manufacturer | Quality Motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josewales View Post
Good day all.

First off, we are finally starting to put together a short list of what 25ftish motorhome(s) we are targeting. Since we want a small enough motorhome to fit in our back driveway, our choices are somewhat limited. We initially thought about the B+ due to minimal risk of cab leaks...but now are wanting a bunk cab for guests.

But here is the concern and confusion. So far Thor is the only company that sells it's structural integrity. And for the others, such as Coachmen...they all seem to sell eye candy without mentioning much about the engineering. Our main concern is leaks! I understand that Thor uses a one piece membrane over their cabs...but for the others, who also? And for structural frame and anchors...I can not find much else. I understand that Winnebago also takes pride in some of their engineering, but not as much in detail as Thor relays. As for Coachmen, it all feels like eye candy and not much more.

Which brings me to ask, am I the only one that thinks that manufactures or dealerships focus to much on the eye candy? Since many such as myself are noobs and wont ask a lot of engineering questions...it's all about first impressions?

Anyways, so far on the short list...

Thor Chateau 22E & Coachmen Leprechaun 21QB w/cab cover.

We are are not interested in the slide out...there are only two of us with small dogs. And we rather minimize the risk of leaks without one. Even though Thor claims to have the best slide out system to prevent such.

Even though the Thor seems to lack in quality interior trims, our gut is telling us to go with the Chateau for better integrity and deal or modify the aesthetics ourselves after.

Our head is spinning. Any opinions or info are greatly appreciated. Trying to find reviews and info on the engineering aspect has been quite the challenge last couple months.

And no thank you to diesel. We dont like the floor plans on the diesel B+'s and most feel cramped and limited....and of course comes with a slide out.

Cheers.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #6

I've owned 3 Born Free class C units. You get what you pay for. No leaks, no rattles and 3 roll bars. My resale on the used Born Free's were noticealby higher than other brands with comparable mileage and age.
richf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #7

Thanx for the input folks.

For the hell of it, I contacted Nexus and asked them what kind of support is here in western Canada for their product. Our main service concerns regarding factory direct vs. Canada...the salesperson said, what they will do is assign and work with a local dealership to look after warranty and needs. Plus their 24/7 support will hold our hand technically and guide us to service while on the road. Initially we weren't interested due to this factor...only real concern now if this service is true, is that Nexus continues to grow and stay in business for future needs. They only sell around 150 units a year at this point after 3 years in business.

So far I don't see any red flags when it comes to engineering and structural on the Nexus product. For a few extra grand compared to Thor as example is no big deal..if it means we will not be throw fbombs at the MH in a few years time.

The Nexus 23B just made our short list.

Karen was the sales lady I talked over the phone. Great info and very easy to talk to without all the cheesy sales tactics.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only concern I have with the Nexus Class Cs is the small holding tanks. If you always park it in a campground, that's not an issue, but 20 gallons of grey water can happen quicker than you think.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #9

I am currently going thru the same research, so far Jayco and Thor have a floorplan I really like (31DS, Jayco). According to the RV Group Research Data; the Jayco edges out the others score wise, but barely. So I'm thinking does it really matter? Is this like arguing Fords and Chevrolets?
SWDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

I feel that more importantly over brand is be absolutely positive on the floor plan. Get one you are comfortable with. If you can find one with the Nexus, go for it. They seem to do a quality coach. As far as leaks, just about any RV can get a leak.... Good luck.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #11

We downsized from a 40ft 2 bedroom Travel Trailer, right after I happened to stumble onto a 22 ft Winnebago Chalet ford chassy with no slides. Hubby and I have 3 kids and always taking an extra one along. I love the size, due to I can park it anywhere, turning around is a breeze. If it's to cramped in the camper we go outside , that is what camping is all about. Being in the great outdoors. We can all sit here and tell you what to get but what it comes down to is what works best for you! Good luck with your search.
HethaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #12

My wife and I decided on a game plan. Since it's quite the commitment to throw down a 10% nonrefundable deposit, without seeing a Nexus product in real....and the great distance between Calgary, Canada and Indiana...we will wait until late winter to fly down and look at existing inventory first. If we walk away not pleased, we can least say 'hey we been to Indiana' haha. Then go to plan B, which probably will be a Thor product....since they at least uses structural integrity in their sales pitches, even though their QC is basically nonexistent from the reviews I read. Winnebago is also considered, but lack in some areas of our concerns or preferences.

One of the deciding factors why we now have Nexus top of our short list is customer service and quality control. The local dealerships in our area are a complete turn off. Every visit feels like a 'used car salesman' is trying to feed us bullcrap...where we want a honest relationship to go with the MH. It's pretty sad that in the MH industry, one has to travel across the continent for such. It is what it is.

For the product itself, the Nexus 23P is our target. So far we have no alarm bells going off besides trusting the fact that Nexus will have to find a service center near us to work with. For our budget based on use (6 to 8 weeks a year), the Nexus 23P fits the bill. Sure we can can afford a more expensive luxary unit, which such choices our limited in our size. We only have 27' in our back driveway to park one and rather not park in storage during cold months. And sure it's going to have limitations and problems like any other motorhome since it's a home /w earthquakes. But after a couple months of research, we came to realize that minimizing potential major problems is key in our decision. Best bang...er lack of bang for the buck! And Nexus we feel addressed such with their focus on structural and engineering.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you are in western Canada .. and since you did not SPECIFY new .. have you
considered a used rental? I rented from Great Alaskan in Anchorage last summer
and at one point in a casual conversation with the owner, he said lots of folks
like to rent the small C's but then he can't sell them easily. Since it's got to be
end of season up there ... well ... they ONLY buy Winnebagos

I have no financial interest in this .. I own a 2004 Itasca C and love it

Allan
Old 09-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #14

I agree with 04Sundancer...the used bargains are too good to pass up in C's. I looked high and lo in western Canada too (including Calgary), but the used rentals were just too high milers. Also wanted diesel and a walk around queen, so that meant about 27 feet and a Ford F-450. The best deals I found were in the southern states, typically where many vacationeers end up, and some have to sell their rigs early due to health reasons (not meaning that to sound predatory, its just a fact with several I called on). Was lotsa selection in southern Arizona, so I made a private deal with a fellow in Tucson (you can have the rig checked out at an RV place prior to travelling down also if you like) and I probably saved about 50% over new, and got the low mileage I wanted). We've been very happy with our Four Winds Siesta (Thor bought Four Winds)...and the fit and finish is above average with fibreglass end caps front and back, and good rubber roof, but maybe not Winnebago level in the final analysis. Good luck, fellow Canuck!
Siesta is offline   Reply With Quote