Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #1

Roof Leak Help

Well another weekend in the RV, and another problem. :( After sitting through a deluge for a few days, when I was packing up the RV I found some moisture. I had noticed the moisture damage before but thought it was from the original owner as I never found moisture there, even after rain. This weekend we were stuck in the rain all weekend and it was pretty evident.

This also explains why I can't get that plastic strip to stick either.

Here is the moisture:

So I went up on the roof and could not find any obvious area where it would be leaking. So I started pressing on the sealant and it looks like it is cracking? For the time being I just put some packing tape over it to try and keep water from seeping in there, but could this be the problem? How do I fix? Can I just buy some more sealer and goop it on there? Or do I need to start stripping it down (that seems like a lot of work and I hate heights lol).

Here are some cracks:

Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #2

Those cracks aren't there unless you press on the roof a bit, but I know how insidious water can be. I am really hoping this seems like the likely problem so I can start the repair.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Dicor sealant works well , use a putty knife and scrap off the old cracked stuff , I’m sure there plenty of good videos on YouTube about resealing Dicor , also works very well is Eternabond roof tape
toyotech358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Get some mineral spirits and clean it up good. Look for soft spots in the caulk and cracks. Use the Dicor to seal any cracks. Soft spots you may want to remove caulk around it and investigate further.
Lights are also a weak point and leaks show up there regularly.
An oscillating tool works great with a putty knife attachment. You can remove a lot of soft caulk really fast.
I am sure you will also hear many recommend Eternabond as the solution and it is a good product. But proper preparation is key or you only mask and hide the problems. I like to apply Eternabond over a joint that is already water tight and clean.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Thanks! Of course, it looks like the forecast is for rain every day now. Hopefully my packing tape does the job until I can get up there.

With Dicor how level does the RV have to be? Is it super runny or if it is on a driveway with 10-15 degree angle will it be fine?
Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie71 View Post
Thanks! Of course, it looks like the forecast is for rain every day now. Hopefully my packing tape does the job until I can get up there.

With Dicor how level does the RV have to be? Is it super runny or if it is on a driveway with 10-15 degree angle will it be fine?

You should be fine. The self leveling levels out but does not really run like you may think. Cannot be used on horizontal surfaces though.
Good luck.
Water intrusion is one of my biggest worries, so I make several trips a season top side to look for problems along with keeping a close look inside. Water can do a lot of damage before you realize a problem may exist.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 PM   #7

Thanks. From researching it seems pretty likely this cracking is my problem. I only have a couple of dry days this week so trying to find somewhere I can order from with quick shipping. Camping World is too far away from my house.

I just stuck some packing tape over the cracks to try and keep water out until then, I also parked it so water will flow away from the leaky area lol.

I was going to put that flex seal tape on there and realized what a mess that made last time I did that on something and had to remove it.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My concern with the cracks is that they flex when driving down the road. That will eventually cause any repair to fail. An old trick that has been around for years is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Judging by the photos, I think an 1/8" bit would do the job. Then seal over the crack and holes at each end. As suggested above, clean the area before applying the Dicor. Mineral Spirits works well for this. No concerns if your roof is fiberglass, but it it's not fiberglass don't let the mineral spirits stay on too long. The self leveling Dicor slowly levels out. Took a day or so when I replaced a broken vent cap on my roof, and that was in direct sun. You can't put too much Dicor on it, so put more than you think you need. I don't have any experience with Eternabond tape, but that stuff is supposed to be fantastic.
Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant is available on Amazon if that's an easier way for you to get it.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #9

I would put Eternabond in the entire joint. Prep is important. You can order it from Amazon.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #10

Resealing roof

Dicor probably has a good website/tutioral. Externabond also has a website. Check out utube for how to videos.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #11

Thanks all. Now the bigger worry is how much damage has been done since it has been leaking since at least April (when we bought it). Which of course says something about the "seal" check that the dealership did before they sold it to us.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #12

Unfortunately, this issue on the roof is considered maintenance. You need to get to it as soon as possible.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
My concern with the cracks is that they flex when driving down the road. That will eventually cause any repair to fail. An old trick that has been around for years is to drill a small hole at each end of the crack. Judging by the photos, I think an 1/8" bit would do the job. Then seal over the crack and holes at each end. As suggested above, clean the area before applying the Dicor. Mineral Spirits works well for this. No concerns if your roof is fiberglass, but it it's not fiberglass don't let the mineral spirits stay on too long. The self leveling Dicor slowly levels out. Took a day or so when I replaced a broken vent cap on my roof, and that was in direct sun. You can't put too much Dicor on it, so put more than you think you need. I don't have any experience with Eternabond tape, but that stuff is supposed to be fantastic.
Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant is available on Amazon if that's an easier way for you to get it.
The crack that I see is in the old sealant. If the roof surface beneath it is cracked, then yes, the drilled holes at the ends of the crack may help. If not, then don't go to drillin any holes up there.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The crack that I see is in the old sealant. If the roof surface beneath it is cracked, then yes, the drilled holes at the ends of the crack may help. If not, then don't go to drillin any holes up there.

Tags
leak, roof