Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
I am a retired field service engineer for ford, I have been to michelin,goodyear, tire schools, bevervever rotate tires on a dually,reason being that the the duals on the right have to be the same diameter both inner and outer,same goes for the left side, if one of the tires is smaller diameter the tire with the larger diameter will be taking more of the load. You can measure the tire with a seamstress fabric tape,measure all the way around the tread.
So you are saying if the tires on the right side are different from the tires on the left side all is ok as far a wear? I would think not.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
So you are saying if the tires on the right side are different from the tires on the left side all is ok as far a wear? I would think not.

He is saying the tire that gets rotated-in to the dual location may not be exactly the same diameter as the tire right next to it — because of wear in its previous location. Different diameter tires spin at different rates. When mated in a dual setup, they of course spin the same. Seems like it would be a self-correcting issue in short notice. Any difference in diameter should be minimal if rotating on a regular basis.

Sounds like a big non-issue to me.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
So are you saying it's OK to rotate?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
So are you saying it's OK to rotate?
So what do you think?

It is wrong, inconsiderate or offensive to decide whether or not or how or when I would chose to rotate the tires on my motorhome? Do I need permission?.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
So what do you think?

It is wrong, inconsiderate or offensive to decide whether or not or how or when I would chose to rotate the tires on my motorhome? Do I need permission?.
1st off I don't quite your understand your reply which is fine cause I miss a lot of stuff. This is my 1st motorhome. I have owned 3 1 ton dually's in my ownership of trucks and have rotated the tires on all of them and because of the inner rim is usually only painted the tire must be removed and put on the pretty one. So if you choose to burn that bad boy down to the ground you damn sure don't need my permission.
Happy motoring.
Mike
Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #20

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
From my limited experience in life, cupping is caused by balance/ bouncing, aggravating wear in spots, making balance progressive worse with speed/ distance, sometimes loose suspension playing a role also.
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #21

When mine reach 6 years, (on the advice of my dealer) I replace them all. On my second set now, the tread still looked good , just started getting some spider cracks on the sidewalls even though I kept them covered, just don't want to take a chance.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #22

RTFM

As in Read The Fine Manual that came with your motorhome. While generally useless because they write them to cover many models mine is clear on how and when to rotate.

They recommend swapping sides; i.e. both right rear become left rear, right front to left front. I intend to introduce my spare into the front rotation.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:42 AM   #23

On my 2009 Navion on a 2008 Sprinter Chassis the stock tires on OEM wheels were Continental Vanco. I rotated them myself so that each tire saw service front and rear. I had to do this to even the wear as the front tires scrubbed on the outside tread. I got just over 40,000 miles on them. On the road 1,300 miles from home during the winter, I elected to replace the tires in anticipation of crossing mountain passes. I went with six Michelin LTX M/S tires. The new tires were superior in every respect: ride, traction handling and noise. I was advised to not bother with rotation and to just keep an eye on the pressure and how the tires were wearing. It would be cost efficient to replace tires in pairs as needed. After about 20,000 miles I noticed that the Michelin tires wore evenly and would likely get 60,000 at the rate of observed wear.

Our new 2018 Navion has it's own set of issues. Since the first day, the steering wheel shook side to side nearly 2 inches. Balancing the front wheels improved that to half that much. Still bad at 60 MPH to 80 MPH. At a tire shop in Albuquerque I had the wheels balanced again. There was an incremental improvement. Still bad, but good enough to get home. I then took the RV to Mercedes Benz where they have a top of the line Hunter machine with load force. They could not balance the tires. I directed the tech to order new Michelin tires similar to the ones I had on the 2009 Navion. Perfect. Apparently, those Continental tires are bad. Although there is only 6,500 miles on the new RV, I am going to have the folks at the Mercedes-Benz shop replace the rear tires as well. I might as well enjoy the improved ride from this point on rather than wait. Yes, this is an unnecessary expense after spending north of six figures on a new RV. Winnebago and the dealer have been pretty much useless on this issue. Now, the View/Navion 24G comes standard with Alcoa alloy wheels (front and outside rear) with the inside rear and full size spare being OEM steel wheels. With this arrangement, you can't rotate the tires. If that is necessary, it is advised to dismount the tires from the wheels. If the new Michelins perform as the first set, I will be leaving them alone. I did meet someone with a similar RV and he opted to put Michelin Rib tires on the front and traction tires on the rear. He claimed that it rode better on the highway where he does most of his driving three seasons. Something to think about: putting specialized steering tires on the front.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, tires