Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Rubber valve stem stabilizer install difficulty

I have a 2017 Class C on a 2016 Ford e450 chassis. I just purchased VHRG4 valve stem stabilizers for the dually wheels. I am having a heck of a time getting them to fit into the hand holes. I measured them to make sure I was given the correct size and they seem to be. Does anyone have any tips as to how to get that rear lip over the opening. To me, the stabilizer seems too large. I tried to use a screwdriver the squish the lip through the hole, but it was too stiff. Would heating it up with a hairdryer help? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
shabti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #2

Since no one has responded, just checking... You are trying to install these in the wheel, not the wheel cover?
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:59 PM   #3

I never even knew there were such things so I searched online to see what they were. Looks like plastic or a piece of rubber, so I'd think maybe heating it with hot water to get it more pliable might be the way to go.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabti View Post
I have a 2017 Class C on a 2016 Ford e450 chassis. I just purchased VHRG4 valve stem stabilizers for the dually wheels. I am having a heck of a time getting them to fit into the hand holes. I measured them to make sure I was given the correct size and they seem to be. Does anyone have any tips as to how to get that rear lip over the opening. To me, the stabilizer seems too large. I tried to use a screwdriver the squish the lip through the hole, but it was too stiff. Would heating it up with a hairdryer help? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
CAN I SUGGEST that BEST PRACTICE is to get METAL VALVE STEMS installed on all RV tires because they run pressures OVER 60-PSI. Went to test mine just yesterday, found I had ONE rubber, (all others metal), and of course, the rubber one cracked and LEAKS when trying to inflate.... so I have spare parts ordered before removing for tire shop.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:20 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Since no one has responded, just checking... You are trying to install these in the wheel, not the wheel cover?
Yes, on the wheel. We took the cover off.
Old 01-09-2022, 07:25 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
CAN I SUGGEST that BEST PRACTICE is to get METAL VALVE STEMS installed on all RV tires because they run pressures OVER 60-PSI. Went to test mine just yesterday, found I had ONE rubber, (all others metal), and of course, the rubber one cracked and LEAKS when trying to inflate.... so I have spare parts ordered before removing for tire shop.
We have metal valve stems on the outer wheels and those longer flexible extenders on the inside duallys. I don't believe they are rubber, but they could be. Good luck with your spare parts. It's always something!!
Old 01-09-2022, 07:36 AM   #7

Since you say you've tried squishing them and used a screw driver to try and seat them, am I correct I assuming the wheel has been removed from the vehicle?

I aak because I just bought bolt in metal valve stems with 2" round hand hole rubber stabilizers to be installed when I get new tires installed this year after winter. My chassis tech or a truck tire installer will be doing it all for me.

I'll check the instructions if they offer any tips on installing the hand hole stabilizers but it is clear from the installation pictures both inner and outer duallys are dismounted at the time the inner valve stem gets positioned through the hand hole stabilizer because the valve stem may need to be bent slightly to align near the center of the hand hole stabilizer.

Here's the brand I bought for the duallys.
I went back to them to buy the front bolt in valve stems which are 2.25" long and pre bent 20 degrees. Attachment 353374
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:39 AM   #8
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Dish Soap
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #9

If these are the stabilizers you have I would try some rubber lubricant. Don't use dish soap, it will corrode aluminum wheels if you have them.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #10

Heres the instructions from my dually valve bolt in valve stems for the rubber stabilizers

I pulled them out of the pack and they are firm but pliable. I can compress them slightly. 72 degrees in the house, 10 degrees outside this morning Click image for larger version

Name:	20220109_085440.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	353375
Old 01-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabti View Post
We have metal valve stems on the outer wheels and those longer flexible extenders on the inside duallys. I don't believe they are rubber, but they could be. Good luck with your spare parts. It's always something!!
I have flexible extenders on mine as well, but the ends are secured to brackets on the center of the wheel cover, so I've never purchased the rubber stabilizers like you have. Because they're secured to the hub, they really don't need it IMHO.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
I have flexible extenders on mine as well, but the ends are secured to brackets on the center of the wheel cover, so I've never purchased the rubber stabilizers like you have. Because they're secured to the hub, they really don't need it IMHO.
There are wire stabilizer that go into the hand holes too
I've got them but they're going away with my new tires and new tpms hence my bolt in valve extenders w rubber hand hole stabilizers above.

I am not sure if the op has flexible extenders or is pursuing bolt in valve stem extenders.

I found out airless flexible extenders, which I suspect I have based on how they behave when checking pressure or adding air,, will not work with my new tpms so I'll be glad when they're gone..
Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDParise View Post
There are wire stabilizer that go into the hand holes too
I've got them but they're going away with my new tires and new tpms hence my bolt in valve extenders w rubber hand hole stabilizers above.

I am not sure if the op has flexible extenders or is pursuing bolt in valve stem extenders.

I found out airless flexible extenders, which I suspect I have based on how they behave when checking pressure or adding air,, will not work with my new tpms so I'll be glad when they're gone..
This is how mine is set up. There are metal stems coming out of the wheels, then the flexible extenders, and the end is secured to the hub with TPMS sensors. My first set of extensions lasted 10 years. One failed after I had the tires changed, I'm sure from the rubber cracking. This set seems better, but I'm just going to make it a practice to replace them every 4 to 5 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220109_084303.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	353400
Old 01-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #14

Quote:
This is how mine is set up. There are metal stems coming out of the wheels, then the flexible extenders, and the end is secured to the hub with TPMS sensors. My first set of extensions lasted 10 years. One failed after I had the tires changed, I'm sure from the rubber cracking. This set seems better, but I'm just going to make it a practice to replace them every 4 to 5 years.

Attachment 353400
Tap4154,

Nice.

What tpms are you using?

Thanks

Tags
install, valve