Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 06:56 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
We spent our first overnight at a Walmart in Wyoming recently, heading across country. Lovely weather with a temp of around 70 by 9:00 pm and a low of 60. One of the RVs was running their generator when we got there, ran it all night, and it was still running when we left the next morning. I felt sorry for them - no open windows in what was actually a lovely place!
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on two things.. one is the Wal*mart/FlyingJ/Etc you are stopped at (some may object to all night generator usage most will not)

The other is if how good your CO detector is and/or if you have a Gen-Turi.

No gen-turi and poor CO-Detctor you stand a chance of not waking up in the morning.. GOOD Co Detector will wake you up if needed, Gen-Turi will prevent the need in most cases (All of ;'em far as I know but I do admit there may be special cases I do not know of )(

Have done a few 25 hour runs with the Gen-Turi in place.. Always woke up in the morning.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #17

The manual for my 4K Onan recommends that you exercise the generator under a load for at least 2 hours a month. That means that if yours is 3 years old, it should have about 72 hours on it if you are exercising it properly. Exercise not only keeps the engine running but under a load keeps the slip rings from corroding. The more you use it, the better it will run and last. Hours meters are not like an odometer on a car.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Run it. We use to tailgate at football games, for years there was zero electrical hookups. Early season games temp could be 100. Generator would run from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. And lots of them in the lot. Now we have electrical service.....our membership fee went from $150 a season to $1100. Wish we were back to the old days!

Tags
generator