Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

Run without catalytic converter?

So, I went to exercise my RV Sunday. It sounded like a dragster!. Shut it down and crawled underneath and found a 3 ft section of exhaust missing.

Some time in the last few weeks my C C was stolen. Haven't driven it for a month or so.'

Neighbor has a similar RV. His was probably stolen at the same time.

Question. Is going to cause problems to drive it 5 miles to the muffler shop or should I have it towed?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobReab View Post
So, I went to exercise my RV Sunday. It sounded like a dragster!. Shut it down and crawled underneath and found a 3 ft section of exhaust missing.

Some time in the last few weeks my C C was stolen. Haven't driven it for a month or so.'

Neighbor has a similar RV. His was probably stolen at the same time.

Question. Is going to cause problems to drive it 5 miles to the muffler shop or should I have it towed?
Measure the diameter of your exhaust pipe , then Hit a parts house and get a exhaust "turn down tip", bolt/clamp it on and head for the shop..[Let the exhaust shop know ahead of time what you have so they can order a Cat if they don''t have one in stock]
NOTE! the reason for the turndown tip is to direct the exhaust downward away from anything that could be harmed by heat or sparks...
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #3

Drive it to the shop. CC is for emissions and won’t hurt. It is louder but that’s all. Not sure exactly what sparks will be flying or where they might be coming from, maybe if your burning Nitro you’d get a flame.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You can run without, if you need a shop can put a temp pipe in place..

local emmision laws require one usually so, order one or an aftermarket hi flow cat and have it put on..

Mine was clogged and I got lucky as my GVWR and year of RV does not require the cat.. So I new 3" hi flow exhaust was added.. Runs better IMO, fuel MPG maybe .5 more,,

Good luck
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy666 View Post
Drive it to the shop. CC is for emissions and won’t hurt. It is louder but that’s all. Not sure exactly what sparks will be flying or where they might be coming from, maybe if your burning Nitro you’d get a flame.
With these chassis and everything the RV mfg tacks on, never know which way the exhaust will be pointed at, but yes a temporary connecting pipe to replace the "Cat" will work..may confuse the engine electronics but what the hey..
[I have seen one that the pipe to the cat connection was aimed up toward the floorboards]
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 05:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Paint the cat with hi temp spray paint so thieves may not steal.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #7

If the pre-cat O2 sensor is still attached upstream of the cat, it should be OK to drive it. The advice you have gotten about a downturned exhaust tip is also good. The Check Engine light will be on no matter what, because the post-cat sensor (if present) won't be seeing what it ought to see.

If the pre-cat O2 sensor is gone with the cat, the system will not enter closed loop mode. It might just work in "limp home" mode, which can be nearly unusable. (Some manufacturers should call it "crawl home" mode.)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:08 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can be $1,000+, easy temporary w/ 18" tailpipe extension and 18" FLEX Pipe and clamps/ adapters
Old 06-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #9

Had mine stolen while at repair shop. Total cost to replace was ~$1700, cat was right around $1000, O2 sensor was $60, labor, gaskets, blah blah blah...

Here's a video of me giving it the beans. Was hilariously loud. I drove it 65 miles to the permanent site while the part came in (6 weeks) and then 65 miles back to the shop for repair. Idling once warmed up it just sounded nice and throaty. Any blip of the throttle and it got rowdy. Driving it post-repair it's like a luxury cruise.

Thankfully nothing really was near the exhaust output, so I just drove it. Wasn't worth dealing with towing and storage for weeks.

Jchaase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Measure the diameter of your exhaust pipe , then Hit a parts house and get a exhaust "turn down tip", bolt/clamp it on and head for the shop..[Let the exhaust shop know ahead of time what you have so they can order a Cat if they don''t have one in stock]
NOTE! the reason for the turndown tip is to direct the exhaust downward away from anything that could be harmed by heat or sparks...
Good advice. Spending a few dollars could save thousands.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaase View Post
Had mine stolen while at repair shop. Total cost to replace was ~$1700, cat was right around $1000, O2 sensor was $60, labor, gaskets, blah blah blah...

Here's a video of me giving it the beans. Was hilariously loud. I drove it 65 miles to the permanent site while the part came in (6 weeks) and then 65 miles back to the shop for repair. Idling once warmed up it just sounded nice and throaty. Any blip of the throttle and it got rowdy. Driving it post-repair it's like a luxury cruise.

Thankfully nothing really was near the exhaust output, so I just drove it. Wasn't worth dealing with towing and storage for weeks.

That’s some race car sounding noise.
SergioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easiest temporary is 3"-dia.x 18" tailpipe entension w/ 18" flex pipe, a couple of connectors and 3-5 U-bolt exhaust clamps? $50-$75?
Old 06-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
Dom

There are youtube vids on running without your CC. Mine clogged up and I just put a straight piece of pipe in it, had muffler shop weld in fitting of the 02 downstream sensor, can't remember but I think you just need to space out sensor a bit. I have no codes
Old 06-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Dom

Tags
cat, converter