Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 04:03 PM   #1

Running generator - Not powering the coach?

Hello, The RV is a 2018 Thor 22E class c with the Onan 4kw gas generator.
The generator will run fine but not power anything in the RV. When plugged in to a regular outlet all 120V stuff in the RV works fine so I think there is some kind of electrical break between the RV and the generator. This just started out of the blue when I tried to use the generator for the first time in a couple of months.

I have many years mechanical experience but none with situations like this.
I would really appreciate thoughts of people experienced with working on these type of problems.
There are no tripped breakers or blown fuses in the panel.
Thanks very much for your help!

Ralt
ralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralt View Post
Hello, The RV is a 2018 Thor 22E class c with the Onan 4kw gas generator.
The generator will run fine but not power anything in the RV. When plugged in to a regular outlet all 120V stuff in the RV works fine so I think there is some kind of electrical break between the RV and the generator. This just started out of the blue when I tried to use the generator for the first time in a couple of months.

I have many years mechanical experience but none with situations like this.
I would really appreciate thoughts of people experienced with working on these type of problems.
There are no tripped breakers or blown fuses in the panel.
Thanks very much for your help!

Ralt
There should be breakers on the generator itself. If they have tripped, no AC to the panel, let alone to the interior outlets. Check the generator first.

Without knowing how comfortable you are with a voltmeter and AC current, I will offer no more suggestions until you report back your findings, but essentially, you will need to trace the flow from the generator onward if you find the breakers are set.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

Do you know if it has an automatic transfer switch or is it manual power transfer between shore and generator? I have to manually plug my shore power cord into the generator outlet in the rear external storage compartment in my Navion, to use my generator.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Do you know if it has an automatic transfer switch or is it manual power transfer between shore and generator? I have to manually plug my shore power cord into the generator outlet in the rear external storage compartment in my Navion, to use my generator.
Same here with my Winnebago.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #5

generator

It must be automatic because I have never had to plug the shore power cord into anything.
Thank you for taking the time to bring that up.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #6

Get into the transfer switch and see if there is power getting to that point.
Old 06-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
1st.. I would give the gen set a good look over.. there are resets that are kinda hidden behind other comonents of the gennie...
I had to really look at a 4000 that was "down and no power" next door this last winter during the "cold spell" in south Tx.. finally found the little breaker and the slide switch... keep looking .. they are there.
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 07:52 PM   #8

I have to manually plug it, too. If not, I would only have the generator running but no power to the unit.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:52 AM   #9

Success! Thanks to you guys for making me think and giving me pointers. The CB which looks and feels like a light switch was a little out of sight and tripped. runs everything just fine now.

What kind of engine oil do you like for really hot summers? I run Mobil one synthetic in everything else i own.
Thanks again!!
Old 06-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #10

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralt View Post
Success! Thanks to you guys for making me think and giving me pointers. The CB which looks and feels like a light switch was a little out of sight and tripped. runs everything just fine now.

What kind of engine oil do you like for really hot summers? I run Mobil one synthetic in everything else i own.
Thanks again!!
WOOT WOOT !!!!! Glad that We could Help..
And Your synthetic oil is just fine to use..
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power