Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

RV buying questions

Hello again!
I have a couple questions guys! The first one is:
-The dealer said us, the class of the RV doesn't matter if the size is under 40"ft (I'm not really sure 40/45) the think is we are looking for sizes between 34/38 and I have just a regular license class C.
And the last thing that I want is problems with cups!

-okey, here is the next one. It's anybody around Vegas? Someone who knows about RV enough to tip my wife and me to chose one? We have a couple RV in mind. We don't want to spend more than 10k, we know is possible, but also we know too that we can not get a palace for this price. We know we should check leaks, moths, and a couple things more, but like we are gonna get a really old one, we want to know if we should check something more. One of the RVs that different places has in common it's the Peace Arrow 92/93, what do you think about this one?
Dealer or owner?

Thanks a lot!
JuLGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi and welcome JuLGi!

If you are asking about the length (or class) of an RV and how it relates to your driver's license, no worries - there is no relationship. An RV is for recreational use so you don't need any type of special driver's license (in any state that I am aware).

That is pretty old and pretty low cost. I think I would work to get a mechanically sound rig for that price and expect that most systems and furniture will need some work (that means time and/or money). A check out of the engine, transmission, and rear end by a mechanic would be a good investment. Check the roof is in reasonable shape and has no leaks. It would be great if the batteries were in good shape and the charger a modern 3-4 stage charger but that is unlikely - plan to replace them. Unless you want to replace the tires immediately, make sure they are within their 7 year lifespan by checking the codes on each tire.

Most of interior/house original equipment is probably not in great shape. A twenty year old refrigerator is living on borrowed time. TV's and VCR's that old are terribly heavy, power hungry, and just not great things.

A rig that old is always a gamble, IMO. I had a twenty year old Pace Arrow and she was very good to me. I have heard stories with the opposite outcome.

Best of luck!!
Old 08-21-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
oh... dealer or owner question.

I suspect you'd have more options and better luck with a private seller for this age range. I don't think many dealers keep these older rigs around but I'm not sure what they do with them.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #4

There's a couple things to consider while looking.
1. Most campgrounds have length limits. State parks too. You're going to run into limitations after 35 ft.
2. Old rigs have old fixtures, old wiring, old plumbing, etc. I hope you're handy with a set of tools and wiring.
3. Personally, I'd try "smaller and newer" over "larger and older". Unless you have a fleet of children/pets, smaller rigs are just as enjoyable for short time runs (days, not months)
4. If older units is where your heart lies, look for leaks (discoloration on interior) and if you find some.. you've probably found some wood rot too.
5. Look for any varmint traces. rat poop, chewed wires, etc. They LOVE hanging out in RVs and if there's any trace of them... RUN!!!
Good luck with your search. Take your time, nice rigs are out there.. cheap.
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #5

Thank you so much! I didn't expect all this full answers!!
We finally chose a "Damon challenger 1996" 84k
We check everything inside, and no rats no buggies no leaks. The dealer is doing a PDI and a full clean(carpet, trunks and everything) I hope everything goes right and can meet people as nice that you guys are on the road!!
JuLGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
If you are asking about the length (or class) of an RV and how it relates to your driver's license, no worries - there is no relationship. An RV is for recreational use so you don't need any type of special driver's license (in any state that I am aware).
Lots of states require a special license to drive a large RV. CA and TX are two that I know of right off hand. In fact CA even goes so far as to restrict RV's over 40' to certain routes and rigs like ours (45') cant go more than one mile off the allowed roads.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote