Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV length issues

Like to hear views on motorhome length issues. Have heard that many are moving away from the 45'ers and reducing to around 38' due to camp ground availability, handling, parking, fuel stop entry, and related length related issues. Is it really becoming tough to find a good camp spot without reserving well in advance? Thanks for sharing.
dakotaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

In popular places it is tough to find camp sites without advance planning in either a 45 or 38. Summer in Phoenix, no problem with either. Winter in Michigan, no problem with either. So you are asking two different questions. I have a 38 but seldom see private campgrounds that cannot accomodate 45s.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #3
tcg

We have an older 28' class C. We can afford to go much bigger but...

We've talked about it and we wouldn't go much bigger because of the way we use it. I like being able to go pretty much anywhere, whether for fuel, groceries, campgrounds, etc.. without giving much thought to getting in or out of some place. Some places I have to give it some thought but for the most part I don't.

We've lived in our 28 footer for several weeks at a time and it's still plenty for us.

I think even if we were to win the lottery I'd get a state of the art 30 footer but that's about it. Although I might consider a super C just because I think they're cool and if I'm a gabillionaire why not.

All depends on how you want to use your rig and what your lifestyle is.

We moistly use state parks and I've seen plenty of big rigs in those parks.

Most campgrounds, state or private, have online reservation systems. Go online and check out what those places can accommodate and how available they are for times you're likely to want to travel.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #4

We are in a 33' Class C towing a Honda CR-V. We had limited experience towing with a rig this size when we bought it in Oct 16. We camped for 12 weeks this past Fall. This setup is easy to drive, park and set up. We have more than enough of everything...not sure why so many folks go bigger. The rear overhang in the C allows us to back in almost anywhere when we need to.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
40' plus toad here.. no issues at all, but then again I DO research where we set up camp..(Mostly puckerbrush boondock anyways)
Looking forward to heading to Quartzite in a couple of years.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:02 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
40' here. Sure there are places we can't put it. But there is always entirely satisfactory available. We dry camp in the southwest deserts, use state parks, private parks, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #7

I think the size of the unit depends a lot on what type of activity you like and where you prefer to do them at. Case in point, we really like the national forest campgrounds and BLM. However, they (generally) have a size restriction around 27'. If you prefer staying in RV Parks, or similar privately owned spaces, then size really does not make a lot of difference. We started out RV'ing with a tent trailer, and went up in size from there and dropped at a 31' 5th wheel unit when we figured out that where we really like to go - we can't, because of size. So, we downsized to a 24' MBS Sprinter. This unit is the perfect size as we can go anywhere we like, assuming roads are accessible. Hope this helps.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Minnie Winnie 28 foot motorhome. Two aging adults and two mini-Dachshunds. Just right for us. And, never a problem finding a campground space.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #9

We currently have a 27’ class C, we downsized from a 40’ diesel pusher. We were full-timing with the 40’ and did have to research where we could stay. Private RV parks were no problem but state parks sometimes didn’t have room for a 40’ rig. Now we don’t full-time our 27’ class C works well and we can get into just about any camp grounds. Plenty of room with 2 slides for the 2 of us and our golden retriever. Chose to fit your life style. Happy RVing all!
Jackhal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #10

Actually a tough question, we started out RVing in a 32’ Class C, really hated it after I had it a while after I got tired of the creak and moan of it swaying down the road. From that we went to a 28 Dynamax Dynaquest, loved how it drove but it was a mite small for our needs. (No bedroom) From there we went to a small 33’ class A (Thor Pallazio) it was still small enough to get into almost any state campground and a fair amount of room. It had enough power but again I hated how it handled after a while. Actually a battle to keep it in a lane with trucks around. I got a wild hair and said go bigger and went to a 44’ foot Class A tag axle. (Thor Tuscany) Great handling go down the road, easy to drive but we lost the use of most state campgrounds. The wife saw a 5th wheel toy hauler and wanted that. Actually more living space and it was huge and heavy but I had a truck that could handle it. The more I hauled it around the country and having to be real careful about where we went the less I liked it and the wife noticed it. I found a bargain on a 36’ Dynamax Grand Sport and snapped it up. We have never looked back. I can drive it 12 hours and not be worn out, easy to handle, looks great and just enough room for the two of us. We can go anywhere without much worry at all. After all that I would say if you satay between 32- 38’ feet max you will have a good blend of room and handling.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #11

I have a 43'. As far as class A's go, I don't think there is much difference in the handling or mpg, once you get it heading down the highway.

So far, I have not had any issue with camping sites... as least where I have been. I am sure there are a some older parks that are limited on the length of RV that they can accommodate. Overall, I think most will accommodate up to 45' RV's.

As far as maneuverability, it only makes sense that a shorter RV is going to be easier to maneuver through parking lots or around really tight turns, where the streets are narrow.
I don't have too much trouble, however, I have made a few turns that I refer to par 2 or par 3 turns. With regard to length and height, you have to be aware and look ahead of where you are to avoid turns that could be a problem and/or height restrictions (tree limbs and low hanging utility lines, for example).
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #12

Anne and I are new to RV ownership, bought a 2011 CountryCoach in Nov,2017, we have been all over florida for the past two months running from cold weather, we live in southeast Georgia where it doesnt get too cold but tonight will be the coldest of the year at 27 degrees, brrrr. I'm wondering if it will freeze my pipes, I might spend the night in the darned thing with the heat on!
My SportsCoach is 40ft and we haven't had any problems getting a site at any of the florida state parks and a few private campgrounds we've visited, the problem I have is the price difference's, $22 for state parks, $57 for the others.
We love our Country coach except for the poorly designed septic tank, it is so easy to clog and back up, the dealership actually agreed to install a maserater toilet free of charge, they say its a design flaw in the tank that allows solids to build up right under the commode, If you have one that gives you problems now you know it isn't anything you do that causes it.
VernonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We are in the process of going from a 24 foot to 39ft and that is plenty for the two of us
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #14

I have a kind of opposite answer, which is figure out what floor plan features you must have, and what are additional desirable features, and then find a coach that gives you that, whatever Class & length that turns into.

In our case the critical features were an island bed in a separate bedroom, and dinner seating for 4 adults. That turned into a 33' Class C (Coachmen 319MB). Once you know what you want inside, the rest is easy.