Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #1

RV roof sealing project...

RV roof sealing project

I finally got around to my RV roof sealing project. This is for a 2015 Thor Majestic 28a (Cruise America purchase). The roof itself didn’t really seem like it needed to be resealed, but all the vents and seams in front, back, and the sides were starting to have some cracking. I actually had several gallons of Dicor Roof Sealant (and the Step 1 agitator) so I decided to do the complete job. I’m also planning on putting up some solar panels on this RV soon, so I figured now was a good time to redo the roof so that I wouldn’t need to worry about it for a very long time (and would likely never need to remove the solar panels later.

Note: There is a broken trickle charge solar panel on top of the AC that will be removed when I put on my solar soon.

Here are some “before” pictures…

I started with Step 1 in the Dicor process…the cleaner/agitator. I thought this was going to be a PITA to do properly (taping off and plastic around the entire RV), but it ended up not being too bad. I actually did this at a local self-serve car wash with their high pressure sprayer. Took me about 2 hours to complete.

The cleaner/agitator and the pressure washer did a great job.

There were a few days in between cleaning/agitating and when I could actually apply the roof sealant, but the RV was covered during that time. When I finally had time (and the weather cooperated), I taped off the edges of the RV and got started. I called and spoke with someone at Dicor to ask if I should first use lap sealant to cover the cracks. They told me that the roof coating will fill in all the cracks nicely (it is kind of like a thick paint) and if the final result looked good then no additional lap sealant would be needed. I first put a thick coat around all the edges and existing Dicor on the vents/etc.

Then I applied the Dicor to the entire roof with a roller. I let it dry to the touch (about 1.5 hours) and then I put on a 2nd coat, and then eventually a 3rd coat. In the end, it came out really nicely and I feel completely confident that the cracks are 100% sealed and my roof is good to go.

Here are some “after” pics.

I was trying to lay it on pretty thick, but the total job only used 2 gallons of roof sealant. I even had a little left over so I touched up all my vents/etc on another RV that I have with one coat just for extra protection.

There is something strangely satisfying to have a “new” white, clean roof. It will make installing the solar more enjoyable too.

Happy RVing!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 08:06 PM   #2

Looks good!
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal