Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 08:25 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
Same exact Class C / Different engine miles per gallon

So I’m sure these questions have been asked, but maybe not quite in the same way. There are a few class C motorhome is now available that have exactly the same set up, tank sizes, dimensions, shape, and for all intents and purposes- weight on the back of two different cutaway chassis with two different engines.

So for example, if you wanted a Caoachmen Freelander with the Chevy 6.0 6 speed automatic, And you compared it to the same coachman free lander on the new Ford 7.3 also with a six speed automatic… Aside from obvious power differences, which one is going to deliver better gas mileage?

I ask because coachman offers their smallest unit, at 24 feet long, with a choice of either chassis/engine setup. I would think that a coach that small would benefit from having a bit of a smaller engine from the Chevy… But maybe the fuel management system is more advanced on the much larger Ford engine. I really can’t find a fair comparison online, not even pick up truck to pick up truck because the 6.0 hasn’t been in Chevy/GMC line of pick up trucks in many years.

Keep in mind, the only weight difference in both of these identical coaches would be the difference in weight starting with the original stripped down cut away chassis that it is built on. But that’s it. Everything else, weights/dimensions/capacities are the same. And yes, I am aware that the Chevy has a 57 gallon gas tank and the Ford has a 55 gallon gas tank. But that, And the cutaway chassis weight differences are the only differences.

Any thoughts or info?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #2

Neither one will get anything to brag about. If you are sweating tenths of an mpg, RVing is going to be a miserable experience. I would focus on the unit that had enough power to handle your payload over your preferred terrain and its dependability to get you there. Enjoy the trip, the gas card won't be in the mailbox till the next month.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #3

Any minimal difference in mpg between the two would not be worth worrying about. It's is a motorhome, after all.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #4

While the easy answer is all fuel economy in an RV is bad so you don't purchase an RV for fuel economy, doesn't really address the issue. I to have been wondering about the 7.3L Ford vs the Chevy...and actually vs the Sprinter. The problem is that the 7.3 is so new that there is no real world feedback. Will it match the V-10 or will it improve to at least the Chevy? From prior posts the V-10 averaging 6 to 8 mpg - but a lot of Class A's also reporting. Chevy averaging 9 to 11. While all nothing to brag about, the Chevy had a 15 to 25% over the V-10. Now if the 7.3 matched the Chevy, but had the performance increase, it would really be interesting.

Now take it a step further with the Sprinter which typically averages 15mpg. Obviously, neither are going to approach that...or will it if you change the question from mpg to cost per mile equivalent OVER THE SAME DISTANCE. Currently, unleaded locally is $2.05 and diesel is $2.69, or 30% higher. Now equalize for the same fuel budget. 10 to 11 mpg of the Chevy plus the 30% fuel cost difference would be 13 to 14.3 which would make it very competitive with diesel 15mpg. But the V-10 doesn't stand a chance with a 7.8 to 10.4 mpg equivalent.

So the question remains...just where does the 7.3L stand? Frankly, I am leaning towards the Chevy, but open to the Ford as both have more power than the Mercedes and far better CCC. Ford has to convince me though.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #5

It takes X amount of HP to move a RV down the highway.

You need X amount of fuel to create X amount of HP, no matter who built the engine.

The loss in economy will happen when you call for more power while taking off or climbing hills.

That, you cintrol, with your foot on the gas pedal.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You don't buy an RV to get good gas mileage. The MPG you get will depend on how fast you drive and where you drive.

Overall it takes a fixed amount of HP to move the rig of a certain weight down the road at a given speed. The engine needs a fixed amount of power to accomplish this. To get this HP it requires a certain volume of gasoline.

The 6.0L GM engine will develop its power at a higher RPM than the 7.3L Ford engine. The Ford engine was developed as a truck engine and will have more torque at lower speeds.

A fixed volume of gasoline has a fixed heat content or available power. The difference in engine efficiency will be petty minimal and both engines will produce the power, so you will not see much difference in fuel usage over all.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
An RV is heavy and a huge block with not much wind cutting... Atleast many big rigs today have the technology edge to move thru Air (still a box) but motors have evolved and are dialed in with transmission so a 80000 load on the open road is getting better MPG than most RV.s..

The New ford 7.3 vs the Chev 6.0.. A lower RPM vs A higher RPM,.. normally when moving a load cubic inches or litres make the deal.. Voluemetric efficency of a bore/stroke combo can even the playing field at cruise and even make MPG better,, but once your foot needs to be in it,,, MPG is a fantasy.. Your are back to extracting X power from X fuel ...

Back in the Day I had a K5 Blazer, 410 rear 30in tires.. 350 4V. 11-12 MPG, no mater what..
I did a project and built a 250 inline 6 to a tune of 260hp..at 6200 rpm.. The 350 was rated at 250 at like 4500..
The Six was a fun project BUT it still got 12mpg.. maybe 12.6..
I remember talking with Crane Cams about a grind that would give MPG.. they said NOPE it is a block dragging down road, we could help you dial in the motor if you put in a camaro etc.. you may get 16-18 but not the power..

Blah
blah

Like said RVers should not worry about MPG.. it is about the fun and upgrades and tinkering and sitting by a fire, or just R&R on a lake...
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
While the easy answer is all fuel economy in an RV is bad so you don't purchase an RV for fuel economy, doesn't really address the issue. I to have been wondering about the 7.3L Ford vs the Chevy...and actually vs the Sprinter. The problem is that the 7.3 is so new that there is no real world feedback. Will it match the V-10 or will it improve to at least the Chevy? From prior posts the V-10 averaging 6 to 8 mpg - but a lot of Class A's also reporting. Chevy averaging 9 to 11. While all nothing to brag about, the Chevy had a 15 to 25% over the V-10. Now if the 7.3 matched the Chevy, but had the performance increase, it would really be interesting.

Now take it a step further with the Sprinter which typically averages 15mpg. Obviously, neither are going to approach that...or will it if you change the question from mpg to cost per mile equivalent OVER THE SAME DISTANCE. Currently, unleaded locally is $2.05 and diesel is $2.69, or 30% higher. Now equalize for the same fuel budget. 10 to 11 mpg of the Chevy plus the 30% fuel cost difference would be 13 to 14.3 which would make it very competitive with diesel 15mpg. But the V-10 doesn't stand a chance with a 7.8 to 10.4 mpg equivalent.

So the question remains...just where does the 7.3L stand? Frankly, I am leaning towards the Chevy, but open to the Ford as both have more power than the Mercedes and far better CCC. Ford has to convince me though.
Really good comparison of the 6.0 and the new 7.3. Wouldn’t that be great if orders able to match that little bit of better gas mileage than the 6.0 makes, but you have tons of extra power....
Old 08-02-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalVirgo View Post
Really good comparison of the 6.0 and the new 7.3. Wouldn’t that be great if orders able to match that little bit of better gas mileage than the 6.0 makes, but you have tons of extra power....
The question is if despite the 'disadvantage' of the larger block creating more horsepower, can the advantage of creating that power at lower RPM on the power curve than the relatively high RPM level of the Chevy create competitive mpg performance? The V-10, despite referred to as bulletproof, is known as a screamer developing the necessary power at higher RPMs to perform as expected. All the more reason we need real world feedback on the 7.3 engine. That may be the positive impact of the current retail environment where dealers don't have the inventory and where incoming are snapped up enroute or within a week of arrival. Unless have to place order now which would require an immediate decision for later delivery, or need an RV now and snap up incoming, can wait 6 months or so for inventory build-up and potentially have the performance feedback from current purchases.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
The question is if despite the 'disadvantage' of the larger block creating more horsepower, can the advantage of creating that power at lower RPM on the power curve than the relatively high RPM level of the Chevy create competitive mpg performance? The V-10, despite referred to as bulletproof, is known as a screamer developing the necessary power at higher RPMs to perform as expected. All the more reason we need real world feedback on the 7.3 engine. That may be the positive impact of the current retail environment where dealers don't have the inventory and where incoming are snapped up enroute or within a week of arrival. Unless have to place order now which would require an immediate decision for later delivery, or need an RV now and snap up incoming, can wait 6 months or so for inventory build-up and potentially have the performance feedback from current purchases.
Perfectly said. We won’t know until new owners start to share their feedback.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.C.Gray View Post
Neither one will get anything to brag about. If you are sweating tenths of an mpg, RVing is going to be a miserable experience. I would focus on the unit that had enough power to handle your payload over your preferred terrain and its dependability to get you there. Enjoy the trip, the gas card won't be in the mailbox till the next month.
X2
Your mileage will be between 7-9 on both units. Look hard at layout of rig. If you plan on towing a car then do yourself a a favor and get the larger engine. You will need it in the mountain states regardless of rig length. If you drive 10,000. Miles a year that comes out to around $800 in additional gas cost. If you can’t afford that for the better performance don’t get into rving. It will break you.

Enjoy the journey
Old 08-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #12

We have 2018 Coachmen 21RS with Chevy package. Roomier cab than Ford, backup camera can be left on to use as a rear mirror, includes an excellent tow assist package. We have been happy with performance and handling.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #13

This always puzzles me. Someone asks a perfectly reasonable question about relative fuel economy numbers and responders post telling him or her that if they are concerned about this they should not buy an RV. Yet when someone posts about the fuel reimbursement program they always get responsive replies. Both questions are about saving money on fuel but the first is ridiculed and the second is respected. As I said, it always puzzles me.

Do I think about how much fuel is going to cost me? Sure. Do I take it into account when looking at new RVs? Sure. My wife and I have been RVing for perhaps 20 years now and I always think about fuel costs. Does it mean we should not have been RVing for the past 20 years? I don't think so.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to be thinking about fuel costs when you plan to buy an RV. It is probably the largest monthly budget item for your RV so unless you don't care about your money you have every reason to think about it and plan accordingly.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Coachman Concord

Can't give info on the Ford Version.

We travel with a Concord Coachman model 300TS 30 ft 2013 Class C towing a 2012 Chevy Captiva.

The Coachman sits on a Chevy Express Cutout 6.0 L GAS. We typical get 9.8 - 10 mpg. Our recent trip to Ocean City Md, we got 9.86 mpg.

Were happy with it.
dmorgan64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, engine