Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #1

Sanitizing a 2016 Jayco Redhawk 29 XK

We have a sewer smell from the faucets so I want to sanitize the rig. I have the manual and I understand the steps pretty much. I need to add a determined amount of bleach to the fresh water tank, pump it through the lines and let it come out the faucets and shower heads. I wait for four hours and then I flush it with freshwater until I can't smell chlorine anymore. Here are my questions. Do I do the first part, with the bleach, with only the required 2 gallons each containing 1/4 cup of bleach? That is, I have a 32 gallon fresh water tank. That's the way it seems from the Jayco manual but other videos seem to recommend filling the fresh water tank (which, by the way, would dilute the bleach by a lot). The second question I have is whether someone on this forum has a similar Redhawk model who could offer me some advice. The steps in the manual are not altogether clear so any step by step description would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
When I purchased my previous camper, it was 20 years old and the water that came out of the plumbing smelled horrible. Smelled up the whole place. Couldn’t even wash my hands with it. I flushed it twice with Spring Fresh and that took away the smell. We didn’t drink from the faucet so I can’t comment on if it took away the taste. I just poured some in the fresh water tank and topped it off with water. Then ran it through the lines and let it sit. Then dumped it all and did it again.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

It's not rocket science in my opinion.

I have done Airstream trailers and motorhome s.

I have done many boats over the years with similar water system s.

Sometimes you need to go through the process 2 or three times.

As long as you flush with fresh water until the bleach odor is minimal.

The bleach concentrate is not as critical.

I always figured that treating a full tank of water would treat the tank sides and roof of tank.

I have put in 2 cups to a quart , even a half gallon of bleach and filled the tank.

Then I have driven the coach or pulled the trailer for a half hour or so.

Then turned on all faucet's, I did remove the water filters. Replaced with new after I was satisfied with the results,
And run all faucet's until the tank is Empty.

Then fill and flush.

If you're not satisfied.

Repeat until you are.

Good luck.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Bleacj

What John said with the addition of fill it until it literally comes out the fill tube. Sometimes the fill tube is gunked up
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
From my owner's manual:

"Prepare a solution of 1⁄4-cup household liquid chlorine bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) to one gallon of water. Use one gallon solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity."

For your 32 gal. tank you would want to put 1/4 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and pour it in. Do this twice. You might want a bit more bleach since you're tank is 32 gallons. Then fill the tank to the top with plain water.

Agitate the tank by driving or just pull up and back a few times. Turn on the water pump (not city water) Then run all faucets one at a time (hot then cold) until you smell the chlorine. Do the indoor and outdoor showers and the toilet too.

Let sit for at least 4 hours. Then open the fresh water tank drain and empty the tank.

Close the drain valve and refill with fresh water and flush all the lines again.

Be sure to use plain old bleach - not concentrated - not "splash proof" - not "pleasant smelling".

Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:00 AM   #6

Thanks for your response. I think I can do the actual sanitization. Looks very straightforward. However, from what I've read and from what a Jayco tech told me over the phone, I should also remove the water filter prior to adding bleach. For my 2016, the water filter housing is in the middle of a bunch of water hoses and hard to get to with the "wrench" that comes with the unit. I'll do it if I have to but I'll first check to see if Camping World or some other RV place will do the removal of the filter and sanitization for me at a reasonable price. If not, I'll give it a go.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:08 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
Thanks for your response. I think I can do the actual sanitization. Looks very straightforward. However, from what I've read and from what a Jayco tech told me over the phone, I should also remove the water filter prior to adding bleach. For my 2016, the water filter housing is in the middle of a bunch of water hoses and hard to get to with the "wrench" that comes with the unit. I'll do it if I have to but I'll first check to see if Camping World or some other RV place will do the removal of the filter and sanitization for me at a reasonable price. If not, I'll give it a go.
Didn't think about the filter. Mine does not have any built in.
You could just remove the filter medium if its the replaceable kind.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:26 AM   #8

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post

I wouldn’t waste your money by taking it to a dealer, open up the panel that’s covering it, use the wrench to loosen it, then throw it away, you can buy a new one at Walmart for less than half the price the dealer charges, they are in the Hardware section by the small faucet filters
gesteff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #10

I'm trying to sanitize the RV this morning. Following the steps but when I turn on the pump with a short hose in the bleach solution, I can't get it into the fresh water tank. I have the gallon of bleach solution at the level of the "intake" but still nothing really going into the fresh tank. I can feel a little bit of vacuum at the end of the hose but maybe not enough to pull bleach solution through hose. Any suggestions. It's a Jayco 2016 Redhawk.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #11

Figured it out or, more accurately, wife did. We used a funnel and poured the bleach solution in while the pump was going. Went into the fresh tank easily and then I could pump it all around the system, let it sit for four hours, drain it and then fill fresh water tank, pump it through system and then drain everything. Mission accomplished. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:41 PM   #12

I have a 26' 2017 Redhawk. My water filter is under the bathroom vanity. No way to get the wrench on it with it mounted. The inlet and outlet hoses unscrew very easily. Then remove the two screws that mount the filter to the side of cabinet. After that it is easy-peasy. Dumb way to install it but you only have to deal with it once a year. I ordered replacement cartridges from Amazon.com. If you have all the faucets turned off and the valves set to "sanitize" in the water control panel, there should be plenty of suction to pull the liquid from your bucket.
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #13

Also, your water heater should be bypassed during this procedure.
Best of luck.
txhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jayco