RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Does it need a "ground plane"?
Seems like tap4152 has the perfect solution.
I ran mine out my drivers door and up to the old sat dish that I don't use as my magnetic mount. I have a portable sat receiver that I can move from one vehicle to the next and just plug in to the aux jack. So I only have one Sirius account.
According to the instructions that came with mine they recommend having at least a 6" radius of metal around it if mounted on a car roof. I'm a non-active Ham and know a bit about antennas and ground planes (forgot a lot of it) but I've also read conflicting conclusions about whether the high frequencies XM operates at really needs a ground plane. Some say just one the size of the base of the egg is enough, which is basically what I ran with.

However, I'm open to other opinions. I could easily get a larger mending plate and shape it the same way, and it would still be up out of the way. I picked that location because nothing is on the roof above it, and it's forward of the large awning tube and supports on that side.

tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 08:29 AM   #16

What is the easiest way to get to the back of the radio to plug in the satellite module? Does the dash need to come off or can I get to it by removing the engine cover?

thanks,

Craig

Old 01-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I ran mine inside the windshield post to the bottom of the fiberglass roof and attached it there with strong Velcro. Fiberglass is transparent to the signals, so no need to penetrate the roof. Just place it where it wonít be blocked by any metal structure. Worked well.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
What is the easiest way to get to the back of the radio to plug in the satellite module? Does the dash need to come off or can I get to it by removing the engine cover?

thanks,

Craig
On my 2018 Freedom Elite (E450 chassis) I replaced the Axerra radio with a Kenwood unit capable of receiving XM radio.
To do this, I had to disassemble the dash to be able to get the old radio out and the new one in. I ran the coax for the magnetic mount XM antenna out around the passenger door and put the antenna on the front fender about three inches in front of the existing whip radio antenna.
Weíve been on trips (Arkansas to S Dakota and back, to Michigan and back) and have had zero problems with satellite reception.
It was much easier placing the antenna on the fender vs. trying to put it on the roof.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:

thanks,

Craig
If you remove the doghouse and know where the tuner cable receptacle is on the back of the radio, and how it's oriented, you can reach it under the dash and connect it (working by feel). Otherwise just pull the radio out of the dash. In my case my old Magnadyne has 2 holes on each side of the faceplate that you can use removal tools to push in, and release the clips. I didn't have those tools so just bent some bailing wire into a U shape (made two of them) and by inserting them, wigging, and pulling on the radio it came right out. The radio just pushes in, then the side spring clips lock it in place.

But other radios may be different. Just find the manual online, if you don't have it.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #20

Carolina Campers
Quote:
I've heard of this method but have also read that many loose the signal when driving in a northerly direction due to the MH blocking the signal.

I'm going to keep going forward with the effort to get it on the roof.

Thanks,

cb
I understand you would like it on the roof, but wanted to let you know I have my magnetic antenna mounted on the driver side fender almost to the front and do not lose reception when traveling. I leave it there permanently and just hook it up to received when traveling. Never lost it either through slippage.. hope you are able to install this as you would like.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My roof antenna gave up the ghost. Got another with a magnetic base and installed it in the cabinet above the driver's seat just below the roofline on my 09 Journey. Used a sheet of metal about 6 inches square mounted to the sidewall structure about 12 inches back from the front where the structure is mostly fiberglass. Works great!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #22

My XM/Ser. receiver connects to my original dash radio. Thus I ran the ant. wire under the dash, over to the left pillar cover, over the driver door cover, then 'white' taped it across the front bunk ceiling to the ceiling vent, out the vent and joined it outside on the vent protective 'cover'. Easy enough and no problems. They do give/include enough antenna wire to reach that far. Good luck.
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #23

Installing XM/Ser. radio

My XM radio connects to my regular in dash radio. Thus I ran the antenna wire under the dash and over to the left pillar cover. From there over the driver's door cover and up to the front bunk ceiling. Now I 'white' taped it over to the ceiling vent. Out there, and fastened it to the outside vent protective cover. The antenna wire they give you is just long enough. Easy enough-good luck. Greg
Greg O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 PM   #24

From what I can tell, mine is under the plastic dash cover, facing upward. Can't see it, of course, but that's what I was able to find online for Sprinter van retrofits. Seems to work OK, though I know it's less than ideal.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:22 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A suggestion. With an XM radio subscription there is an App you can add to your phone. With this APP you can stream on your phone. With a USB connection or Bluetooth you may be able to then push the sounds out to the coach. Worked for me

Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, roof, satellite