RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2020, 03:28 PM   #1

Satellite Radio Antenna wire to Roof Top, How To

Iím looking for a simple way to run a XM-Sirius satellite radio antenna to the top of our motorhome. I donít know if thatís possible but thought someone might know of a wire way that runs from the bottom underside of the motorhome to the roof. Maybe? Iíd really like to keep the antenna wire hidden and I do want it on the top of the MH. I donít mind drilling holes through the floor or the roof and taking the time to get them 100% sealed back up afterwards. So does anyone have any experience with this?
We have a 2014, Jamboree sport 31M on an E450 chassis.

Thanks for any input,

Craig

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #2

Craig,

In most motorhomes with Sirius Radio, the antenna cable is run up to the roof inside the drivers pillar molding along the windshield.

Of course, depending on the antenna, you may have to work from the roof down for installation fishing the antenna cable down the pillar and under the dash where the Sirius tuner is usually mounted.

Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #3

Just buy a portable magneting mount antenna and plade it on the front fender. Thats what most folks do.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
Craig,

In most motorhomes with Sirius Radio, the antenna cable is run up to the roof inside the drivers pillar molding along the windshield.

Of course, depending on the antenna, you may have to work from the roof down for installation fishing the antenna cable down the pillar and under the dash where the Sirius tuner is usually mounted.

Yes, Getting it up some of the way using the door pillar would be the easy part and actually to the over cab bunk base. But on up to the roof is the hard part as I see it now. Maybe through the back of cabinets?

thanks,

cb
Old 01-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

The refrigerator is often one of the easier routes for running wiring from inside at the floor to roof. Many solar and other installs use the area behind the fridges, as it can usually be accessed through the exterior side and roof vents, if it's a 2 way or 3 way fridge.

I like the magnetic mount idea.
Winterbagoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Just buy a portable magneting mount antenna and plade it on the front fender. Thats what most folks do.
I've heard of this method but have also read that many loose the signal when driving in a northerly direction due to the MH blocking the signal.

I'm going to keep going forward with the effort to get it on the roof.

Thanks,

cb
Old 01-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The refrigerator is often one of the easier routes for running wiring from inside at the floor to roof. Many solar and other installs use the area behind the fridges, as it can usually be accessed through the exterior side and roof vents, if it's a 2 way or 3 way fridge.

I like the magnetic mount idea.

Our MH has the refrigerator in a slide out. I'm not sure how this would work for this set up as the vent doesn't go to the roof.
I need to go look at this. Our MH is in a storage garage right now.

thanks,

cb
Old 01-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Our MH has the refrigerator in a slide out. I'm not sure how this would work for this set up as the vent doesn't go to the roof.
I need to go look at this. Our MH is in a storage garage right now.

thanks,

cb
Yes, it doesn't work for every make/model.
Maybe there's another existing roof vent that could be the terminus of the wiring run. Galley vent? Bathroom? Rooftop AC?
Good luck.
Winterbagoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had my C i ran the wire through a vent, then over to a cupboard under a trip piece that hid the joint in the roof panels.

Stuck the magnetic mouse antenna on the roof with a piece of double-sided tape.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #10

Since the roof is only styrofoam and a vinyl-like cloth covering, which is transparent to satellite signals, I put the antenna inside in the cabover as high as I could. Routed the wire up the passenger side A pillar, over the passenger door weather seal and up to the roof, tucking it out of sight in crevices. Really worked out nice.

Then I made Z-shape bracket out of a steel mending plate, slipped it between the ceiling and the cabinet that runs over the entry door to the cabover, and stuck the magnetic antenna onto that. No holes drilled, no mounting screws used. Have taken a couple trips since and it works fine. Just like with my truck, it cuts out when blocked by mountains, overpasses, large trees etc, but that's normal.

I looked at the other options... front fender, refrigerator vent (too far away) or through the slideout gasket, and think this was the best option for my MH. Front fender would be fine and very easy, but as others said, I think you'd lose the signal pretty often. Drilling the roof isn't a big deal, but if I upgrade my old radio and need to replace the antenna, doing it this way makes that very easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket Bed.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	273043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket on Cabinet.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	472.2 KB
ID:	273044  

Name:	Sirius Antenna Mounted.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	468.8 KB
ID:	273045  
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #11

This is a timely conversation, as I was about to add my van to my SiriusXM account, but I've been scratching my head as to where the antenna is. Magnetic mount 'mouse', which is part of the SXV300 system that's supposedly plugged into the Fusion RV-IN801 system.

I think it has a tuner and antenna, partly because I have documentation in the file for both parts, but also because it gets Channel 1, and Channel 0 with the SiriusXM radio ID code. I don't think it would get anything without all the bits in place. But I'd better verify that.

There is no antenna visible anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SiriusXM system.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	273047  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
This is a timely conversation, as I was about to add my van to my SiriusXM account, but I've been scratching my head as to where the antenna is. Magnetic mount 'mouse', which is part of the SXV300 system that's supposedly plugged into the Fusion RV-IN801 system.

I think it has a tuner and antenna, partly because I have documentation in the file for both parts, but also because it gets Channel 1, and Channel 0 with the SiriusXM radio ID code. I don't think it would get anything without all the bits in place. But I'd better verify that.

There is no antenna visible anywhere.
If it's all wired up for XM you should have a black hump or mini "shark fin" on the roof. Maybe your radio is just "Sirius ready" but doesn't have the tuner and antenna installed? That was the case with my MH. I was under the impression that it had the tuner and antenna because the radio was "sirius ready", but it didn't have either.

By the time I decided to activate Sirius in it the receiver kit the 2010 Magnadyne radio required was obsolete (current kits would not work, I tried), so I had to search ebay etc, and found a refurbished kit for it.

However when I bought my Ram truck a couple years ago, it had everything ready to go, with the antenna on the cab roof. Just had to activate it. In fact it came with a year free trial, which got me hooked, of course...

BTW, if you do have a tuner ID code, try calling Sirius and see if they can activate. That's how I knew I didn't have the tuner, I couldn't access an ID code. Maybe they have a new hidden antenna?
tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #13

Rather than add a a hole in the roof I went with an old trick from CB radio days. I placed a 8" square 1/4" thick steel plate in the overhead cabinet above and behind the drivers seat in my C Class Minnie. This "Ground Plane" effect works great for me. The only time I lose signal is when very tall trees are on both sides of the highway (think Georgia pines). Give it a try and see if it woks for you, mine will work without the plate but not nearly as well.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #14

Does it need a "ground plane"?
Seems like tap4152 has the perfect solution.
I ran mine out my drivers door and up to the old sat dish that I don't use as my magnetic mount. I have a portable sat receiver that I can move from one vehicle to the next and just plug in to the aux jack. So I only have one Sirius account.

Tags
antenna, radio, roof, satellite