Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #1

Satellite Recievers

I am considering a satellite reciever for my ride.

I have the Directv reciever for the house but need the “dome” for the top of the coach.

Do they operate on 12v DC or 110V AC or both?

I only want stationary not roaming capability.

My class C is not wired for the TV’s to operate on battery power only shore power or generator.

Another thing: I briefly looked at the “domes” at Camping World at $1,300 or so but on-line it looks like I can get them for around $600. What gives?

Any and all help is appreciated. Truly!

Scotty D
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #2

My dome for DirecTV was $450. Its a King Quest.
It uses a 120 volt power injector, inline with the cable to it, for power.

I take the reciever from the house, hook it to the TV and receiver side of the injector. Then I place the dome our where it can get a clear South West view.

Switch it all on with a power strip and wait 10 minutes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Satellite Recievers Follow-Up

I also forgot to mention that I am considering running this off of an inverter.

If I do this, what wattage will I be drawing and how long will I be able run the appliances - assuming that all that I am using is the TV(90w), cable box(?) or DVD player(9.2w DC) and satellite dome(Information not available on-line)?

I have a 750w inverter, already.

My new coach came with only one coach battery. I am going to add a second in the near future.

Scotty D
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #4

That inverter will work, but depends on how much battery you have...is your inverter a pure sign wave or a modified version? I've run mine when I had a single battery, group 27, for 6 hrs with no problems....could of run longer..better pic with pure sine wave type...you can buy a tripod mounted dish for $119 that with the right receiver will give you HD...With Directv going to make a change in near future, you're gonna need a H24 receiver or better.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #5

You will be fine with a 750 watt. inverter.

I run all of that, a sound bar, plus a 600 watt coffee maker, a bunch of times a day on a 1000 watt inverter.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That inverter will work, but depends on how much battery you have...is your inverter a pure sign wave or a modified version?
Doesn't matter. My HR-54 receiver works fine off my Xantrex Pro modified sign wave. After all, the receiver converts everything to 3.1 volts DC for the IC chips in the receiver and 21 volts DC for the LNB in the dish. The power draw is listed at 40 watts @ 120 volts. No power inserter needed with an HR-54 or HS-17.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
With DirecTV and a dome, you're limited to SD. If you want/need HD, you'll need to look at something like the Winegard Travl'r antenna. Dish Network can run HD with a dome if you're interested in looking at that option.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:05 AM   #8

Having only SD on DirecTV and dome may change soon.

The satellite rumer mill is saying changes are coming with DirecTV in April 2019.

Tags
satellite