Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

Satellite TV Antenna Install

I own a 2017 Coachman Freelander Micro. Want to use a satellite TV antenna.
Do I have to re-configure the interior coax junction box? Dish says, "no". Coachman says, I have to detach antenna booster face plate, remove one coax and replace with coax going to new receiver. Has anyone done this? All advice is appreciated!
BeckyFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #2

Your best bet is to run a dedicated cable. If your wanting a rooftop dish like a Travler then you will need two cables anyhow. If your looking to use a portable auto dome somply runa new coax from a comvienent place inside one of the compartments to a place behind the TV.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #3

Satellite TV Install

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you have had experience with this. By run a dedicated cable, do you mean all the way from the Satellite, to the receiver, and then to the TV? I was hopeful that I could use the cable port on the side of my RV. Oh well. Thanks anyway.
BeckyFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #4

If you are using the Winegard Travler, thennyes, it requires a dedicated 5 (I think) wife cable that supplies power and control for the dish. The automatic portable dishes also need a dedicated power to operate. All the coax does is supply power to and take the signal from the LNB. Which are you going to try and use? I would avoid a permanent roof top dish. If you camp in the trees the chances of getting a good signal go way down. With a portable dish you at least have a chance of finding a hole in the trees that you can get a signal.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyFe View Post
I own a 2017 Coachman Freelander Micro. Want to use a satellite TV antenna.

Do I have to re-configure the interior coax junction box? Dish says, "no". Coachman says, I have to detach antenna booster face plate, remove one coax and replace with coax going to new receiver. Has anyone done this? All advice is appreciated!

Yes, I have done it and dish is wrong and coachmen is correct, as stated I had to run a spectate decided coax to the dish playmaker. On the plus side if you use a new Winegard which is a playmaker you do not need a power injector like a king needs, it now gets its power over the coax cable
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #6

BeckyFe

Here's a link to a previous discussion about what you need for Dish.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/outsi...on-456113.html

It should answer all your questions and help you decide what to do.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your best bet is to read your Owners Manual. There should be a section on installing satellite equipment on your coach and indicating any prewired coaxial cable for the service. I highly doubt you could install a unit yourself based on your questions but you could purchase a receiver and a portable dish and use it in a clear spot outside the RV running cable inside to the receiver. Good luck.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
Your best bet is to read your Owners Manual. There should be a section on installing satellite equipment on your coach and indicating any prewired coaxial cable for the service. I highly doubt you could install a unit yourself based on your questions but you could purchase a receiver and a portable dish and use it in a clear spot outside the RV running cable inside to the receiver. Good luck.

There is nothing from Coachmen on the roof Satilight prep. All they do is run a coax wire to the roof location and then terminate it in the cabinet, in that cabinet where your receiver would go is another coax that is hooked to your TV. 1 with black tape going to the roof , 1 with orange tape connected to the TV, you have to run your own power wires. With a carry one , you have to run a home run coax from your Satellite to your box. All the units only come with 1 coax connector outside for cable.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, install, satellite, satellite tv