Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2021, 09:44 AM   #1

Self-reliance and RV Tires - Questions

Along the lines of some of the discussion in my last thread I have been exploring and thinking about how to be more self-reliant when it comes to both breakdowns and maintenance. I've been pricing tools for changing my own tires, but I also want to be able to do my own maintenance.

Up to now I've been reliant on getting my tires aired up at gas stations or tire shops. Lately these locations have been a problem. Coin-operated units (even if they have a credit card module) are often missing the tire chuck or just don't have enough pressure. Tire shops that have automated systems can't compensate for tire temperatures. The bottom line is that the next morning my cold tires are *not* at the proper PSI.

The only solution is an air compressor. We have one, but I went cheap and while it works for car tires and bicycles, not so much on 80PSI duallys. So I'm looking at a 3-5gal pancake compressor. Here's my question:

If I get a dually tire chuck, can I just do away with the floppy extender hoses? I have two separate sets. The left side works fine, but the right side (bought them from an auto parts store) are problematic.

If I do away with the extenders, will I be able to get my TPMS caps on and off without too much of a headache?

I just want to take control of my tire maintenance and stop being at the mercy of other parties and their equipment.

Thanks in advance!
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2021, 01:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Along the lines of some of the discussion in my last thread I have been exploring and thinking about how to be more self-reliant when it comes to both breakdowns and maintenance. I've been pricing tools for changing my own tires, but I also want to be able to do my own maintenance.

Up to now I've been reliant on getting my tires aired up at gas stations or tire shops. Lately these locations have been a problem. Coin-operated units (even if they have a credit card module) are often missing the tire chuck or just don't have enough pressure. Tire shops that have automated systems can't compensate for tire temperatures. The bottom line is that the next morning my cold tires are *not* at the proper PSI.

The only solution is an air compressor. We have one, but I went cheap and while it works for car tires and bicycles, not so much on 80PSI duallys. So I'm looking at a 3-5gal pancake compressor. Here's my question:

If I get a dually tire chuck, can I just do away with the floppy extender hoses? I have two separate sets. The left side works fine, but the right side (bought them from an auto parts store) are problematic.

If I do away with the extenders, will I be able to get my TPMS caps on and off without too much of a headache?

I just want to take control of my tire maintenance and stop being at the mercy of other parties and their equipment.

Thanks in advance!

There are several schools of thought on dually valves .

Some swear by the flexible valve extensions , all I did when I had them on our coach was swear at them . That constantly leaked and I was always concerned they might fail completely while driving .

I finally went with the extended metal valves with the rubber grommets in the wheel hand holes to support the valves.

Our tires now hold pressure and the extended valves are easily accessed with a conventional air chuck and pressure gauge.

FWIW
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:19 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some suggestions

I went with the add on extenders and hand hole rubber stabilizer. The tpms sensor is stable and easy to add air. For a compressor I carry with me is small and portable. It runs on 120 volts so you will need to run your generator to get power if not plugged in. It has a 1.2 gallon tank, rated 135 psi max and weighs 26 lbs. Does well with class C 80 psi tires.
EXTENSIONS
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...d-stability-6/
RUBBER STABILIZER
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...-wheels-vhrg4/
TPMS FLOW THRU
https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...gh-sensor-1-ea
COMPRESSOR
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-FINI-1...essor/50192315
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
I went with the add on extenders and hand hole rubber stabilizer. The tpms sensor is stable and easy to add air. For a compressor I carry with me is small and portable. It runs on 120 volts so you will need to run your generator to get power if not plugged in. It has a 1.2 gallon tank, rated 135 psi max and weighs 26 lbs. Does well with class C 80 psi tires.
EXTENSIONS
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...d-stability-6/
RUBBER STABILIZER
https://www.shinyrv.com/product/valv...-wheels-vhrg4/
TPMS FLOW THRU
https://eezrvproducts.com/shop/ols/p...gh-sensor-1-ea
COMPRESSOR
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fini-FINI-1...essor/50192315
I've been looking at this type of compressor. I guess it's cheaper to get a small compressor and a cordless impact wrench instead of a pneumatic impact wrench w/ a larger compressor?
Old 12-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #5

For compressors, especially since you are in a Class C, if you budget allows for it I would consider the Viair over a pancake. Your storage will thank you. Also if you ever change rigs and need higher pressure. My inexpensive pancake is listed at 100psi but anything over 90 is a real challenge.

I can not speak to TMPS caps. I use air though caps on all of my TV and TH tires. Makes checking 14 tires way easier. While I do not check them every time, they get checked before every "long move".

It is never a bad idea to have stuff to change a tire. In the past I always have but with my new TV I do not. I keep good tires on my vehicles but I know things can happen. With this being such a rare event it makes more sense for me to rely on roadside assistance for this. The fact their is no practical spot for 2 spares as my front and rear are different adds to it.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:40 PM   #6

I have had a couple of sets of extenders. There always seems to be one that doesn’t work. I make a little disc to put between the valve and the extender to make them work. I drove for years without extenders. If you have the correct shape tire valve stem on the rim, you can get by with a long tire chuck.. The biggest problem then is getting the valve caps on and off.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #7

OK, first, I would NEVER use the coin op air compressors-- have not found one with a DRYER. Adding water to your tires negates the Ideal Gas Law (PSI change is no longer directly related to temperature change).

I have found absolutely no issue with either my car or RV when adding air at a commercial establishment.

In fact, did it a couple of weeks ago with our car. Door post called for 34 PSI. But, I had driven about 8 miles to their location. I merely told the tech I needed 37 PSI because I had driven. No problem. Got 37 PSI and the next morning, was right at 34 PSI.

Particularly with an RV, where the tech has no idea of your coach weights, I would be shocked if you were not able to dictate what you need.

Yes, either they don't know, or certainly aren't going to argue when you mention the Ideal Gas Law!!!

Your own air compressor? With or without an AIR DRYER??? Again, WATER is not what you want in your tires.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #8

I've tried using air impacts with smaller portable compressors and the combination just didn't work for me. About a three horsepower compressor with a twenty gallon tank I've found to be the very minimum to get a couple of tires off. And at that it will be loud and you have to wait between rounds for it to catch its breath. Plus tire shops run their air at 175 psi normally and such smaller compressors tend to only put out 150 psi. So you can use an air gun the the shop to install the wheels, then go home to your 150 psi and with the exact same gun not be able to remove the same lugs. I have 100% literally done this. P'd me off no end.

Portable battery powered electric impact to the rescue. I use a Milwaukee M18 impact that will outpower all three of my air impacts. In fact it has completely replaced them. A downside is it's pretty big and hefty. If you have issues with grip and/or wrist strength one may not be for you. Unfortunately the smaller version and easier to handle impacts generally can't cope with wheel lug nuts on fair sized RV's, you need a big one.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've tried using air impacts with smaller portable compressors and the combination just didn't work for me. About a three horsepower compressor with a twenty gallon tank I've found to be the very minimum to get a couple of tires off. And at that it will be loud and you have to wait between rounds for it to catch its breath. Plus tire shops run their air at 175 psi normally and such smaller compressors tend to only put out 150 psi. So you can use an air gun the the shop to install the wheels, then go home to your 150 psi and with the exact same gun not be able to remove the same lugs. I have 100% literally done this. P'd me off no end.

Portable battery powered electric impact to the rescue. I use a Milwaukee M18 impact that will outpower all three of my air impacts. In fact it has completely replaced them. A downside is it's pretty big and hefty. If you have issues with grip and/or wrist strength one may not be for you. Unfortunately the smaller version and easier to handle impacts generally can't cope with wheel lug nuts on fair sized RV's, you need a big one.
I reached the same conclusion, but mainly due to CFM - 1/2" impacts need 5-6, and most smaller compressors are closer to 1. By the time I finish, I could have bought 2-3 cordless impact wrenches.

If Discount Tire uses a torque wrench, theoretically set to the proper 140 lbs, wouldn't a 150lb torque cordless impact pull that back off?
Old 12-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #10

I second the motion on Viair compressors.
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-8...24739814&psc=1

They are light, powerful, fill our 33" tires quickly, and best of is quiet!

On valve extensions, I like Wheel Masters for the outer duals. You will need to determine which angle you need. These stems do not have air in them until they are depressed. So no chance of leaking.
FYI: We do not use a TPMS. We are old school and check pressure each morning we drive daily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the inner duals we use these awesome ones from Haltec. They make all the cheep ones on Amazon look and work like crap.

https://www.haltec.com/pc/Air-Flexx-...sions-c263.htm
Old 12-21-2021, 07:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
If Discount Tire uses a torque wrench, theoretically set to the proper 140 lbs, wouldn't a 150lb torque cordless impact pull that back off?
Not really "breakaway" torque is what's required to break a fastener loose and it's quite a bit higher than tightening torque and there aren't really any breakaway torque specs beyond manufacturers claiming what their guns will do. On the ground I find about triple is the minimum. So around 500 ft.lbs would be the minimum for knocking 140 lb. lug nuts off. I've no time for wimpy tools that may or may not do the job and the Milwaukee gun I use on basically everything is supposedly rated for 1400 ft.lbs of breakaway torque. If you buy your best guess of a closely matching sized impact be sure to keep the receipt as I suspect you might be needing to take it back in favor of the next size up.

If you go for the big gun like I have it has a REALLY nice added feature. On the highest torque rating once it breaks the fastener loose it slows down. This means you can hammer away happily on anything tight and when they break loose nothing goes flying anywhere like and air impact can do. I don't recall seeing the feature on smaller and other brand guns.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
I second the motion on Viair compressors.
https://www.amazon.com/Viair-00088-8...24739814&psc=1

They are light, powerful, fill our 33" tires quickly, and best of is quiet!

On valve extensions, I like Wheel Masters for the outer duals. You will need to determine which angle you need. These stems do not have air in them until they are depressed. So no chance of leaking.
FYI: We do not use a TPMS. We are old school and check pressure each morning we drive daily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the inner duals we use these awesome ones from Haltec. They make all the cheep ones on Amazon look and work like crap.

https://www.haltec.com/pc/Air-Flexx-...sions-c263.htm
My issue w/ Viair is the amp draw. They state that you have to run the engine. Plus you have to open the hood or go under the steps to get to the batteries. My existing little 12v compressor blew a fuse the last time we used it on the RV tires. The Porter-Cable I'm looking at is half the amps and 120v so I can run it off of my solar battery bank or the gennie. It's bigger, but not *that* much bigger.

I like those valve extenders, will definitely check those out!

RE: TPMS - we never had them until something cracked the valve stem on an outer dually and leaked out while driving. We noticed it looked different and manually checked it. The question is, how many miles did we drive on it like that? No idea, and that's the problem. And what if it had been the inner tire? We would have found out when it blew. All of this could still easily happen *after* a morning pressure check. And what if you drove 250 miles that day?

THAT is why we got TPMS and installed them ASAP.

As a comparison note, the wife drives our chase car. It has factory TPMS. Last time we were stuck in an RV park for a couple of months it managed to get two flats within a week. The first required the donut spare, it went flat overnight. The second was a slower leak that alerted on the dash. We were able to get it fixed without being broken down on the side of the road. That's the value of TPMS for me.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:34 PM   #13

This is one area where I prefer the "old school approach" .

A 1/2" drive breaker bar with cheater to break loose the lug nuts than use my cordless impact to speed up the removal . Then on reinstall , use the impact to snug up the lug nuts and do final torque with my torque wrench.

I don't trust the accuracy of the adjustable torque impact guns .

Rather than carry a compressor , I have a 5 gal. portable air tank rated for 150lb. . Weighes approx 15lb.

No compressor or power required until time for refill . I bleed off the tank pressure when storing the MH and refill before hitting the road .

FWIW
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
Rather than carry a compressor , I have a 5 gal. portable air tank rated for 150lb. . Weighes approx 15lb.

No compressor or power required until time for refill . I bleed off the tank pressure when storing the MH and refill before hitting the road .

FWIW
So how many times could you air up a tire from, say, 70 to 75, or from 80 to 85? We're on the road full-time so I guess we'd have to fill the tank at Love's?

Tags
tire, tires