Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #1

Septic smell! Peeeew!

Septic smell! Peeeew!

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF326A

It started slowly, but now it is pretty strong, especially if the black tank is full. Last year I replaced the Thetford toilet, and of course replaced the seal. Looking at it lately, I pulled the toilet again and installed another seal. I saw there is a hairline crack in the toilet closet flange, the part that screws to the floor. This installation also has a 1” riser that the toilet and flange sits on.

I called Winnebago customer support to find out how the flange ports into the tank. He looked at the drawings, probably the same one I have, and couldn’t really be sure. One type of flange screws into the black tank. Another type is a slip fit, which is probably what I have. Another type is glued to the tank, which I hope I don’t have. The closet flange has a short pipe glued to it and I guess this slides into some type of grommet at the top of the tank. I tried removing the flange, but there was so much resistance I didn’t want to push my luck. All the support rep could recommend, is I take my rig to a Winnebago dealer.

So, I reinstalled the toilet with the new seal, but we still get odor. Being the brave soul I am, I stuck my nose where it doesn't really belong. Inside the bowl – nothing. Sniffing the opening under the foot pedal – nothing. Sniffing at the very rear of the toilet – there it was!

One other thing, don't know if it’s relevant the bathroom sink drains into the black water vent line with it’s own port into the black tank. And regarding venting, I did install a couple of the Camco shark fin vent covers.

Anybody had any direct experience with this? I suspect it has something to do with the way the flange connects to the tank, maybe there is a leak there? I did crawl under Squeaky and sniffed around down there – nothing, so I don’t think anything is leaking. There are a hundred YouTube videos on replacing the toilet, but hardly anything regarding this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_133524288.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	325138   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_133837109.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	325139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210415_215941663.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	325142  
MurphyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

I am a great believer in Dollar Store Caulk. I would caulk the S---t out of it and hope that solved the problem. Cheap if it works, no big deal if it does not. To be clear- I have NO experience with this sort of problem.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure it is the black tank you smell? The gray tank can smell worse than the black tank. Check the air admittance valve under in the bathroom sink. You can tape it for a short time to see if that is the issue. Easy to unscrew and replace at most hardware stores.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 AM   #4

When we had a smell problem, treating the black tank didn't solve the problem. However we now treat both tanks and problem solved.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:29 AM   #5

This comes up every now and then. Many things are suggested from bakers yeast and Himalayan salt crystals to fan systems. All well intentioned but not fixing the problem

The venting system and tanks are a sealed system, for the odor to get in the RV there is a leak in the system. Once the easy ones are checked by following your nose, toilet seal, no water in a trap etc.

the way to find the leak is to do a plumbing smoke test. Google plumbing smoke test, can pay to have it done or DIY.

My opinion and worth what you are paying for it.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
This comes up every now and then. Many things are suggested from bakers yeast and Himalayan salt crystals to fan systems. All well intentioned but not fixing the problem

The venting system and tanks are a sealed system, for the odor to get in the RV there is a leak in the system. Once the easy ones are checked by following your nose, toilet seal, no water in a trap etc.

the way to find the leak is to do a plumbing smoke test. Google plumbing smoke test, can pay to have it done or DIY.
Yes, it is supposed to be a sealed system, something is leaking somewhere. I really like the idea of the smoke test, I'll have to look it up. Sounds fun too!
Old 04-16-2021, 05:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyMan View Post
Yes, it is supposed to be a sealed system, something is leaking somewhere. I really like the idea of the smoke test, I'll have to look it up. Sounds fun too!

Pretty simple actually, done on houses all the time. Can also do a water test. seal everything off inside and fill system from roof. Likely a good idea to clean the black tank first
Old 04-19-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
Commercial Member

when you dump your tanks, it vacuums the fluid out of the p traps. i found that if i fill the p traps, the smell dissipates. when dumping, leaving the faucets slightly running in the sinks helps us greatly.
the grey water tank smells awful in hot weather. a little dawn helps keep both tanks clean when added to both tanks.
we also add toilet chemical to both tanks.
we learned a few things like this in our 8 years of full time.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

No Roof vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
when you dump your tanks, it vacuums the fluid out of the p traps. i found that if i fill the p traps, the smell dissipates. when dumping, leaving the faucets slightly running in the sinks helps us greatly.
If the tanks are properly vented through the coach roof, there should be no “vacuuming” of the p-traps.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Septic smell! Peeeew!

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF326A

It started slowly, but now it is pretty strong, especially if the black tank is full. Last year I replaced the Thetford toilet, and of course replaced the seal. Looking at it lately, I pulled the toilet again and installed another seal. I saw there is a hairline crack in the toilet closet flange, the part that screws to the floor. This installation also has a 1” riser that the toilet and flange sits on.

I called Winnebago customer support to find out how the flange ports into the tank. He looked at the drawings, probably the same one I have, and couldn’t really be sure. One type of flange screws into the black tank. Another type is a slip fit, which is probably what I have. Another type is glued to the tank, which I hope I don’t have. The closet flange has a short pipe glued to it and I guess this slides into some type of grommet at the top of the tank. I tried removing the flange, but there was so much resistance I didn’t want to push my luck. All the support rep could recommend, is I take my rig to a Winnebago dealer.

So, I reinstalled the toilet with the new seal, but we still get odor. Being the brave soul I am, I stuck my nose where it doesn't really belong. Inside the bowl – nothing. Sniffing the opening under the foot pedal – nothing. Sniffing at the very rear of the toilet – there it was!

One other thing, don't know if it’s relevant the bathroom sink drains into the black water vent line with it’s own port into the black tank. And regarding venting, I did install a couple of the Camco shark fin vent covers.

Anybody had any direct experience with this? I suspect it has something to do with the way the flange connects to the tank, maybe there is a leak there? I did crawl under Squeaky and sniffed around down there – nothing, so I don’t think anything is leaking. There are a hundred YouTube videos on replacing the toilet, but hardly anything regarding this issue.
Did you check your roof vent to see if it is obstructed?

Do you travel with the bath ceiling fan open?

Can you see/check your black tank to see if it is level?

If you fill your black tank to full before dumping you might be blocking the vent.
PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:26 AM   #11

I just wanted to point out that we are not RV newbies. We have had Squeaky for five years and have put on 30,000 miles, all over the USA.

This smell stuff can still be a mystery. We have been using a variety of tank treatments over the years and prompted by this latest go-around, we tried some Happy Camper. I have to say, we seemed to have some instant good results. We added 1-1/2 scoops into the grey and black water thanks, then filled them 2/3 full with fresh water and let it sit overnight in our driveway. I was really surprised the next morning when I went in and the smell was barely noticeable. Wow.

We then drove a few miles and dumped the tanks at a local campground. Added in some more HK and a couple gallons of water, then drove to our storage location.

So, it may be a couple of weeks before we take Squeaky out again and give it the real acid test. I'll try and report back.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
I just wanted to point out that we are not RV newbies. We have had Squeaky for five years and have put on 30,000 miles, all over the USA.

This smell stuff can still be a mystery. We have been using a variety of tank treatments over the years and prompted by this latest go-around, we tried some Happy Camper. I have to say, we seemed to have some instant good results. We added 1-1/2 scoops into the grey and black water thanks, then filled them 2/3 full with fresh water and let it sit overnight in our driveway. I was really surprised the next morning when I went in and the smell was barely noticeable. Wow.

We then drove a few miles and dumped the tanks at a local campground. Added in some more HK and a couple gallons of water, then drove to our storage location.

So, it may be a couple of weeks before we take Squeaky out again and give it the real acid test. I'll try and report back.

Thanks.

Before the smoke test I used various chemicals and fans. After the smoke test I used nothing and did not need anything. That is one person full timing with a 100 gallon black and grey tank.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Before the smoke test I used various chemicals and fans. After the smoke test I used nothing and did not need anything. That is one person full timing with a 100 gallon black and grey tank.
This is really interesting. Can you give us a few details how you did your test? Special hardware used, etc?
Old 04-22-2021, 11:45 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have any outside hatch doors to INSPECT/ work thru? My BIL (a few years back) had a toilet room w/ water damage evident on garage wall baseboard; finally determined TOILET SEAL leaking nasty water UNDER the ceramic tile/ thru the tile mastic trowel grooves to the opposing wall. gOOD NEWS IT was NOT plumbing leaking UNDER the slab :-)

Tags
smell