Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Seven Seas by Cobra

We just looked at a '92 Seven Seas by Cobra today and are seriously considering purchasing it the only problem I see is that the NADA value is a lot lower than the actual sale prices I'm seeing for them out there.

It's a 28' w/28 k miles and beautifully maintained. Newer tires, good generator & fridge and nice roof. $8k. I'm seeing them out there for $14k in similar condition... but NADA is less than $5 k and that's the "high"...

Would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks!
Taote is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've never bothered with the NADA guides. But in this case it sounds about right. Remember asking prices and selling prices are two different things.

I bought a '91 Laguna by Cobra for less than the NADA price you mentioned about 4 years ago. It is also 28' and the condition sounds similar. Mine had around 40,000 miles.

I bought mine in northern Ohio. Your profile doesn't list a gerneral location. It seems old RV prices go up as you go further south. Four years ago the south of I-40 asking prices were about $2000 higher than Ohio asking prices for similar units.

I still keep an eye on CraigsList and see people listing Class C's for unreal prices. Either ignore them or make an honest offer. In the rust belt at least, this time of year is a buyer's market.

mangy dog
mangy dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #3

I believe $8,000 is too much for a 1992 Motor home. It's hard to believe you're seeing a lot of 92's for $14,000. - way too much money.
Here's a list of Used Recreational Vehicles Sold or for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
that will give you an idea of what other RVs have actually sold for.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. Tough to hold off, will look for another week.

Seller won't take less than 8, he has too much into it, and seems content to head to Fl. for another winter.

So I'm just not seeing anything newer than the late 80s locally (or at PPL) for under $8k let alone the $6.5k I was hoping to see - unless it has 100k plus miles, active water damage in process (with or without the roof leak repaired), delam, 5 yr or older tires, missing generator, a non-functional fridge or says handyman special Every damn rig my husband and I go see has one of those flaws. And I'm in a power wheelchair, so driving all over the state to check them out is tough, especially now that the snow is flying (Northern Ohio)...

This Seven Seas unit is the most solid (passed the 5 page checklist) we've seen (actually laid eyes on) with a price tag under $10k. Also comes with a car dolly...

BUT the two of you have me convinced I should wait a little longer. Thanks for the advice. I'm on the edge of caving.

p.s. anything priced reasonably that looks like it's in decent shape turns out to be a scam (it's wrapped up, ready to ship...)
Old 11-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

You can't go by what people paid four years ago.

Four years ago the entire nation was in a deep recession. People were desperate to raise funds by selling whatever they could. This affected RV prices, even house prices.

But the recession is mostly over now. RV prices and house prices go back up.

My 1991 Lazy Daze cost me $8,000 a year ago but it is perfect. It even has solar and a generator. I've only had to change the tires.

Buy the RV that is in the best condition you can find. Save $3,000 buying a worse off unit and you'll pay another $5,000 for repairs to get it right. - plus down time and messing around with finding reliable repair places.

How much is your stress and worry worth?
Old 11-20-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Thanks for your response

We picked it up two days ago . My husband made the same argument, and it is a good one. We might have found something great for less if we waited, but we need to be on the road in 5 weeks so we need time to get to know the rig (we are newbies) and get her stocked and ready.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #7

Congratulations

now post pictures
Old 11-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #8

I'm fixing to pull the trigger on a 1991 30ft for $8,000 with low mileage. Has what we want so we are happy.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Nice! (And truly it does make me feel a little better!) We'll be taking some pics and posting in the next week or two, right now we're focused on outfitting her