Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #1

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Just finished out maiden voyage and wondering what the typical trouble spots are and how to fix them.

I think the screen door is probably the worst culprit, but didn't come up with a great solution (hand towel between it and the main door). Also the glass stove top cover was terrible but was pretty well solved by putting some clothing in-between to eliminate the "crickets" coming from it.

All but the worst I can deal with, but the SO is very sensitive to these kinds of sounds. So in the pursuit of "Happy Wife = Happy Life" any suggestions?

By the way, "ear plugs" is not a viable solution...

2021 Thor Quantum LH26
VH1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 05:30 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Invest in a good assortment of bungies and use them to take up the noise generating slack.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Velcro and duct tape are your friends.
Rubber mats in the cupboards' too.
Paper towels between the plates.

Ten trips and you'll figure it out.

Mike in Colorado
Old 07-06-2022, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VH1982 View Post
Just finished out maiden voyage and wondering what the typical trouble spots are and how to fix them.

I think the screen door is probably the worst culprit, but didn't come up with a great solution (hand towel between it and the main door). Also the glass stove top cover was terrible but was pretty well solved by putting some clothing in-between to eliminate the "crickets" coming from it.

All but the worst I can deal with, but the SO is very sensitive to these kinds of sounds. So in the pursuit of "Happy Wife = Happy Life" any suggestions?

By the way, "ear plugs" is not a viable solution...
Good luck, I spent a lot of time on mine, biggest culprit was cooktop which wasn't properly secured at manufacture, secured it properly and replaced rubber grommets where grates fit, quiet now. Don't forget to wrap microwave plate in a dish towel. Next was dash, spent about a week taking everything apart and cramming foam padding here and there and applying Dynamat like product to undersides of thin plastic parts to stop the vibration/telescoping of sound. I used a Chassis Ear to help pinpoint rattles and squeaks when they were elusive. One of the worst offenders was the big plastic A pillar cover, some padding where it fits into the dash and a bit of Dynamat fixed that one. Found a couple of loose relays dangling, wrapped them in padding and zip tied. Inserted 1/4" latex tubing into driver's door seal to eliminate thumping and wind noise, have to close it a bit harder now but stopped all the noise. That was a big one for highway noise.
It's still a truck and bumps in the road are going to make a lot of noise but my main goal was to be able to hear my music better which I achieved. The door seal was my biggest improvement in quieting the cab and the cooktop and A pillar were my biggest rattles.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:01 PM   #5

I use bags of plastic grocery bags In all of my drawers and cabinets and my refrigerator.
You can pack things real tight for pots and pans or loosely in refrigerator shelves.
Also, I think it helps keep the refrigerator colder longer with air space taken up with bags of bags.
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
On the screen: The PO of my rig had strategically placed some black foam tape between the screen door frame and the door. It got to looking pretty grungy so I took it out....not knowing what it was for. Put new tape back real quick.

Good times and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 08:42 PM   #7

Oh Yes, the challenge of silencing the thrashing. Been there, done that with great success. It takes a lot of determination, every rig with it's own unique culprits on top of common causes. Here is my list, what I can recall quickly, much addressed through the use of foam drawer/cabinet liner, and felt pads.

Foam Drawer Liner Sold At Menards
Hold it down using carpet tape, also sold at Menards

Felt Pads Sold At Dollar Tree

Drawer liner used in every cabinet, drawer, and utensil compartment.

Felt pads used on these items.........
- roof antenna wings
- inside TV between metal shields and such
- inside microwave cabinet
- flip-up counter hinges

Place paper towels between pots and such.

Use Corelle dishware because they stack very tightly (they don't rattle)

Place silicone pot holders on stove grates prior to placing stove cover on.

Do NOT over-inflate the tires. Weigh the rig during a trip (each axle) with everyone sitting in their typical seat, and set the tire pressure on each axle according to the tire manufacture, NOT the RV manufacture.

If applicable, replace over-rated front coil springs with softer ones. CLICK HERE for details.

It took a lot of determination and numerous trips chasing down sources of noise, but I finally got our rig riding quietly and also comfortably.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep, padded cabinet/drawer liners. I use old dishcloths or washcloths between anything that'd move or make noise. Wrapped the glass microwave turntable in a towel. Pack everything tight.

My worst noisemaker is the silverware drawer. I can't stand plastic utensils. I have to have Oneida flatware. Aside from wrapping each individual fork, spoon, knife to silence them from rattling at every expansion joint on the roads, I haven't figured out how to keep them quiet during the bouncing.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 09:47 PM   #9

All of the ideas suggested are tried and true and they make a huge difference .

Time and patience are the key . There will always be a new noise from somewhere , at some point .The trick is to not get discouraged .

For the flatware rattling issue I was able to mitigate it by grouping the flatware by type , spoons , forks , knives . The DW then placed a towel in the silverware tray , I then put rubber bands around each type and placed them on the towel in their respective trays .

No more flatware rattling noise .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 12:38 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stovetop, oven wire shelves, kitchen window blind, slatted style, ceramic dishes are common rattle points. Vent Hood flapper, many have a lock, but you have to lock, (some from outside?) and unlock to use? I changed my outside flapper to one with outside lock, but not used yet. The Inside lock still allowed some movement/ noise.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I might try your rubber band trick, Bill. I've already got them grouped by style in each cubby, but they still rattle around because they're loose in their individual sections. I also should be able to cut the foam shelf liners into little strips to go in the bottom of the plastic compartments to silence further.
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I also should be able to cut the foam shelf liners into little strips to go in the bottom of the plastic compartments to silence further.
Yep! We did that and it does help a lot. The flatware hitting the plastic trays is a lot louder than clanging to each other.

The funny thing about RV thrashing noises. The more you find and solve, the more get revealed. The louder ones drown out the lesser ones.