Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Shopping For Class C

Looking at the Thor Delano, Winnebago View and Tiffin Wayfarer. Any feedback from actual customers would be great please.
JHEALY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 01:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHEALY View Post
Looking at the Thor Delano, Winnebago View and Tiffin Wayfarer. Any feedback from actual customers would be great please.
You must be my twin!
We just started out two-year journey to purchase.
We like the floor plans with both a dinette + recliner in front and walk-around queen bed in back. The Delano 24RW is perfect. Similar plans include the Synergy/Siesta/Citation 24SK.
We also just discovered the Leisure Travel Vans Unity series. The new Unity 25RL really stands out with a unique layout and high end features.
I hope your choice works out for you!

Jean & Larry
MyUrchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyUrchins View Post
You must be my twin!
We just started out two-year journey to purchase.
We like the floor plans with both a dinette + recliner in front and walk-around queen bed in back. The Delano 24RW is perfect. Similar plans include the Synergy/Siesta/Citation 24SK.
We also just discovered the Leisure Travel Vans Unity series. The new Unity 25RL really stands out with a unique layout and high end features.
I hope your choice works out for you!

Jean & Larry
You might want to look at the leprechaun 260ds on a Ford or chevy chassis. Yes they are gas but there are more places to get them serviced on the road. And the ford has a 7500 lb towing. Chevy is 6000 lb I believe. Not to mention the price difference. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #4

Another twin looking at the Sprinter options. Also looking at the Thor Delano, Winnebago View/Navion, and Tiffen Wayfarer. You may also want to include the Entegra Quest. Each have similar floor plans that I like. Also they tend to be a little more upscale than their corporate cousins with cabinets really standing out (clean Euro curve vs traditional cabinets), but also other features cut in the lower priced corporate cousins. Of them, I virtually ruled out the Tiffen with the abnormally low OCCC as 700lbs is just WAY TO LOW! Suggestion, as you are shopping, take a picture of the yellow tag on each model - and is helpful to hold a piece of paper below it where you wrote the manufacture/model for later comparison. Haven't seen the OCCC on the Delano as introduced last month and none locally in stock yet. The OCCC on the Winnebago and Entegra typically above 1000 lbs which makes a huge difference compared to the Tiffen which I otherwise like. The really weird setup on the Entegra/Jayco are the drain lines for the black/gray tanks. While most have valves and a "Y" connector to attach the hose compactly there in front of you, for some reason Entegra put the valves on one side then ran a straight pipe under the coach to attach the drain hose on the other side. Biggest issue with Winnebago is price, a significant premium to the others (around $20K "out the door" price for similar equip) and way overpriced options that don't appear to give credit the standard equipment replaced. An example is $5500 for the diesel generator which is a new replacement cost rather than the approx. $1700 difference from the standard LP version. Also all 4 models are built on the newer 2019 Mercedes Chassis with 7sp transmission and most marketing touts the advanced safety features. However, don't assume that it is included on all 2019 chassis. Some manufacturers have economized by deleting features - first noted when looking at a Thor Siesta with 2019 chassis. Look for the 10" LCD display, where the stripped one have a much smaller 7" display, and 2018 chassis have the 5sp gear shift lever attached to the front dash panel. Also be aware the Winnibago has a $7500 credit option that downgrades the front dash.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
You might want to look at the leprechaun 260ds on a Ford or chevy chassis. Yes they are gas but there are more places to get them serviced on the road. And the ford has a 7500 lb towing. Chevy is 6000 lb I believe. Not to mention the price difference. Good luck with what ever you decide on.
Quote:
You might want to look at the leprechaun 260ds on a Ford or chevy chassis. Yes they are gas but there are more places to get them serviced on the road. And the ford has a 7500 lb towing. Chevy is 6000 lb I believe
We really liked the 260DS and 26DS models. Ultimately, we fell back to the Sprinter chassis to keep our length under 26’. We also like the sleeker cab-over design of the smaller rigs.
Service options will definitely come into play, but since we’re not towing, there won’t be any issues on that regard.
Thanks for the feedback.
Jean & Larry
Old 01-27-2020, 11:46 PM   #6

We discussed our plans and options today, and finalized a one year buying timeframe. Ultimately, we decided to go with the Compass/Gemini 24SX floorplan. Thor has the identical floorplan with these models: Delano/Tiburon 24RW and Synergy/Citation/Siesta 24SK. The appeal of the Gemini/Compass is (1) No cab-over sleeping compartment. This will help on gas mileage, travel noise and it just looks sleeker, and (2) It comes in much cheaper than the other models. New I have seen the new 2020 chassis models on the 24SX around the $90K range. The Tiburons around $113k and the Synergy style around $100K.
This floorplan works for us because is gives us both a recliner and table. We will be working full time on computers, so having a desk/table area is a must. I just wish the Compass color scheme was something other than pale Khaki.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyUrchins View Post
We discussed our plans and options today, and finalized a one year buying timeframe. Ultimately, we decided to go with the Compass/Gemini 24SX floorplan. Thor has the identical floorplan with these models: Delano/Tiburon 24RW and Synergy/Citation/Siesta 24SK. The appeal of the Gemini/Compass is (1) No cab-over sleeping compartment. This will help on gas mileage, travel noise and it just looks sleeker, and (2) It comes in much cheaper than the other models. New I have seen the new 2020 chassis models on the 24SX around the $90K range. The Tiburons around $113k and the Synergy style around $100K.
This floorplan works for us because is gives us both a recliner and table. We will be working full time on computers, so having a desk/table area is a must. I just wish the Compass color scheme was something other than pale Khaki.
The BIG thing to look at with that price disparity is what version of the same 2019 chassis using in the 2020 model. There is the fully loaded version which people typically think of as that is what is in all the articles touting the advanced electronics, and then there is the stripped version taking many of the electronics (Navigation, lane change, advanced emergency braking, etc) off. Most manufacturers don't note the version and simply note it in the price. Winnebago may be an exception with an itemized option on the sticker "Chassis Exchange Package" and a credit of $8700 applied reducing the price. The dead giveaway when looking (or viewing photos online) pay attention to the LCD screen. If it is the wide 10" spanning across the mid dash, it is the chassis equipped with the advanced features, however, it it is the smaller 7" LCD with dash fill (light dash stands out more than dark) on either side, it is the chassis without the features and thus the lower cost.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We do not own either one. However we do roll in a Tiffin coach and I will tell you that you will never find another manufacturer with better customer service or relations.

BTW we started in a Class C...Dynamax Isata3 and loved this rig as well.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #9

I have also narrowed it down to the View. I discount the Wayfarer due to the silly-low OCCC. I discounted the Isata because they are now Thor and the original Isata executive team is slowly being pushed out or departing. I'm still waffling between new or used and debating the floor plan- D vs J. Since I have a new baby, I am taking my time.
Chandne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:31 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I believe Isata is a brand of Dynamax which is owned by Forest River
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
I have also narrowed it down to the View. I discount the Wayfarer due to the silly-low OCCC. I discounted the Isata because they are now Thor and the original Isata executive team is slowly being pushed out or departing. I'm still waffling between new or used and debating the floor plan- D vs J. Since I have a new baby, I am taking my time.
Isata is Dynamax bought by Forest River, not Thor, several years ago. I don't know about the executive team being pushed aside, but I do know that the Dynamax GM is a regular participant of their forums; interacting daily with customers, answering questions, advising, troubleshooting, expediting, and taking suggestions. I wish more manufacturers were as involved. His presence on the forum moves them up several notches in my estimation. I'd put the Dynamax division up there with Tiffin and Winnegago for quality, in spite of the mediocre reputation of the Forest River parent. Those issues, widely toted on RV Horror Stories, might be primarily with the trailer division.

I'm currently trying to decide between the Dynamax Isata 3, Winnebago View, and Tiffin Wayfarer. They are all good quality vehicles built on Sprinters. Comes down to floor plan, options, and OCCC. Winnebago wins in that last category, but Tiffin and Isata are improving. I am not in a rush, gathering information and waiting to see what the 2021 model year looks like.
shassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #12

My mistake. It was Forest River that bought Isata/Dynamax. I was on their forum and reading about the recent quality issues with the Isata and executives departing. I was considering one at a local RV store (Lazy Days) maybe 6-7 months ago but balked after I read several recent threads there and on irv. With Forest River or Thor as parent companies, I don't play, with the possible exception of Airtream trailers which seem to have remained solid. Even then, the customer service worries me when buying new from them.

The Class Bs like the Serenity are fantastic but ultimately not enough sleeping areas with no cabover bunk. I think the Tiffin quality is great but the OCCC too low for me. 600-700 lbs leaves hardly anything for gear and water with two people + Baby + bikes/gear on board. I'm a cyclist and we have bikes plus trailer and joggers for the baby. That really leaves me with the View and I am trying to decide on floor plans (D vs J) and am also in no rush anymore. I could easily wait for the 2021 models and I may just do that unless I run across a really good deal on a used one.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandne View Post
My mistake. It was Forest River that bought Isata/Dynamax. I was on their forum and reading about the recent quality issues with the Isata and executives departing. I was considering one at a local RV store (Lazy Days) maybe 6-7 months ago but balked after I read several recent threads there and on irv. With Forest River or Thor as parent companies, I don't play, with the possible exception of Airtream trailers which seem to have remained solid. Even then, the customer service worries me when buying new from them.

The Class Bs like the Serenity are fantastic but ultimately not enough sleeping areas with no cabover bunk. I think the Tiffin quality is great but the OCCC too low for me. 600-700 lbs leaves hardly anything for gear and water with two people + Baby + bikes/gear on board. I'm a cyclist and we have bikes plus trailer and joggers for the baby. That really leaves me with the View and I am trying to decide on floor plans (D vs J) and am also in no rush anymore. I could easily wait for the 2021 models and I may just do that unless I run across a really good deal on a used one.
I just looked at a Wayfarer 25RW, and I'm looking at another tomorrow. They are 750 and 770 lbs OCCC even with levelers. They do not have aluminum wheels or lithium batteries (which Trent Tiffin says in an unlisted option). I'm hoping if I add those it will get to 850 which I consider to be about the minimum. I've also heard rumblings about the possibility of a composite floor next year to save weight.

I like the View for OCCC, but their Murphy bed model doesn't have theater seats, and I don't like the compressor fridge and smaller propane tank.
shassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #14

Tiffin certainly makes a quality motorhome. I don't think you will be disappointed at all as long as you are okay with the weight thing. It must be very exciting to be this close to getting one. All the best with the decision. Keep us posted.

The day I went to Lazy Days RV (Denver area) and saw that Dynamax Isata 3, I was VERY tempted to just get it. The salesmen was a bit arrogant and my wife could tell that I was going to get annoyed, so she smartly whispered to me to get on my phone and at least check out the recent reviews. Anyway, that flipped the switch for me, and I decided we did not need to deal with that salesman anyway. He really was acting like he was doing us a favor and seemed uninterested in showing us any other models or floorplans in the couple of Cs we were initially looking at. He also preferred appointments, apparently. We wandered off on our own and eventually left. It is not our kind of place anyway.

I still have not decided if I'll go with the Navion D or J and propane or diesel generator...I need to see what the diesel fumes are like. I go back and forth and will keep looking into it while I save a few extra bucks each month.