Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Short front overhang class C question

Hi folks,

Just spent some time in Zion and Bryce Canyon and saw a lot of short front overhangs MH'S such as the Winnebago View.

Besides the smaller overhang at the front and the diesel of the View what's the difference between these and class c's?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi folks,

Besides the smaller overhang at the front and the diesel of the View what's the difference between these and class c's?
The "full" Class C cabover is usually a sleeping area although folks have converted into storage and some are for entertainment centers. The shorter cabover is never for sleeping.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

Thanks Traxless,
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #4

Not sure what you are considering a "shorter" Extension over the cab, but my Thor Siesta on the MB chassis has a sleeping area over the cab, not sure about the view.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

Example - my Sunseeker has the bunk over the front seats. A same year Forester will not have the bunk / overhang, but will have cabinets for storage areas. I prefer the bunk setup as that allows for low wight, bulky items to go there (jackets, pillows, bedding, etc).
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The short overhang you see has storage rather than a bed over the cab. It makes for a cleaner look and give you more cabinet storage. We have that in our Isata 3 (Dynamax which is Forest river company) as we do not need the extra sleeping capacity we have this set up and love it. This is still considered a Class C.
I also think it gives a much cleaner look and also because of the aerodynamics my improve my gas mileage.
momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

The reason I asked is I much prefer the look of the models with a shorter overhang also.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:36 PM   #8

1stMH, The 'short overhang' Views are View Profile models. As above, they don't have a 'bunk' or 'storage area' over the cab. They do have easier access to the cab. And they DO LOOK much COOLER!!! Other mfgrs make similar models.

The down side is no 'bunk' bed. But not important if you don't "need" one.

The advantages are:

Easier access to and from the cab. It has a larger cut out and not blocked by the bed board.

There are (in a Profile) two large storage 'pockets' to the left and right side of the cut out with doors. Great for light stuff and all sorts of odds and ends. More space than we use.

Profiles have a smoother front and better penetration into the air than the 'brogan' fronted conventional models. Makes for slightly better MPG and reduced wind noise.

The 'snout' nose is heavier than the contoured Profile nose. Heavier because of more materials and the optional bunk bed. The newer 'snouters' may have a reduced Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) because of the extra weight of the 'snout.' And at least in a View 24G more weight due to the larger side slide. Couple hundred pounds, maybe.... but it may be important to you.

ALWAYS CHECK THE OCCC when looking for an RV.

Because that weight is high up and forward of the centerline of the RV, it's center of gravity is slightly higher and more forward. Does it make a difference. Likely not but it is a factor.

I hope this helps...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
The reason I asked is I much prefer the look of the models with a shorter overhang also.
That's great Old Crows, I do appreciate it.

I never liked the look of most class C's bit do like the look of the shorter over hang models, except for smaller ones such as the Minnie Winnie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
1stMH, The 'short overhang' Views are View Profile models. As above, they don't have a 'bunk' or 'storage area' over the cab. They do have easier access to the cab. And they DO LOOK much COOLER!!! Other mfgrs make similar models.

The down side is no 'bunk' bed. But not important if you don't "need" one.

The advantages are:

Easier access to and from the cab. It has a larger cut out and not blocked by the bed board.

There are (in a Profile) two large storage 'pockets' to the left and right side of the cut out with doors. Great for light stuff and all sorts of odds and ends. More space than we use.

Profiles have a smoother front and better penetration into the air than the 'brogan' fronted conventional models. Makes for slightly better MPG and reduced wind noise.

The 'snout' nose is heavier than the contoured Profile nose. Heavier because of more materials and the optional bunk bed. The newer 'snouters' may have a reduced Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity (OCCC) because of the extra weight of the 'snout.' Couple hundred pounds, maybe.... but it may be important to you.

Because that weight is high up and forward of the centerline of the RV, it's center of gravity is slightly higher and more forward. Does it make a difference. Likely not but it is a factor.

I hope this helps...
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #10

All,

How does one of these handle on the road compared to a conventional short class c or a?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I seriously doubt that you would notice any difference between the "profile" and the "cabover" models. My cabover bed area is used for storage - clothes, some food items, nothing heavy.

Sprinter based class Cs handle very well on the road. After driving all over the place in a 32000 lb class A, my Navion is a pleasure to drive. Very responsive Mercedes diesel has a lot to do with your perception of how it drives.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I seriously doubt that you would notice any difference between the "profile" and the "cabover" models. My cabover bed area is used for storage - clothes, some food items, nothing heavy.

Sprinter based class Cs handle very well on the road. After driving all over the place in a 32000 lb class A, my Navion is a pleasure to drive. Very responsive Mercedes diesel has a lot to do with your perception of how it drives.
Hi Luvlabs,

I bet the sprinter is great to drive.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:32 AM   #13

We're about to take our maiden voyage in our new class C, a 2017 Tiffin Wayfarer on a MBZ Sprinter chassis. It does have the sleeping area above the cab for either 2 children or 1 adult.
1KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KoolKat View Post
We're about to take our maiden voyage in our new class C, a 2017 Tiffin Wayfarer on a MBZ Sprinter chassis. It does have the sleeping area above the cab for either 2 children or 1 adult.
That's a nice looking coach.

Tags
class c