Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Shuddering Motorhome at shifts

Hi, I have a 2015 Thor 31 W..It has 3000 miles on it..I am having a engine or transmission problem..V 10 engine. When it hits a mountain in the tow mode it will start shuttering at the point it wants to shift up or down. In the drive mode it is there but not as prominent. There are no trouble codes showing up..I have an October appt at the Ford dealer. Has anyone else had this sort of problem..? Thanks
crh3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If it's shuddering under load, it could be a bad coil, spark plug, or plug wire. On the V 10 it's hard to hear or notice a miss because there are 9 more cylinders firing. It's under warranty, stop at a Ford dealer and see. Waiting another month, if you're using the RV, is too long to wait.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

The Triton engines don't really have plug wires because the coil sits on top of each plug.
However they are pretty famous for losing a coil and it does have one for each cylinder.
They will sometimes fire when not under load and sound fine. Our fleet shop had this same issue. Not 100% but a good place to start...
Ray in Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #4

Finally took motorhome to the dealers...Just what I knew was going to happen. (no codes showed up, no problems found). I said what now? Service writer said the motorhome was under powered for size...Going back today to take the tech for a ride..What a joke.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Your RV isn't underpowered unless you have a special lead-lined walls option. Thousands of RVs, bigger than yours, are based on the Ford chassis with V-10 engine. I'd call the service writer's bluff on that one. The fact that no codes are found is actually a good thing, it means it's not the things monitored by the ECU. How about if you step on the brake and rev the engine in gear? A shudder in that condition could be a transmission problem.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #6

If the coil is intermittent often there will not be a code stored.
It has happened to me...
Ray in Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club

I agree on the no code but bad coil pack on the plug issue. I had 3 that were bad on my 2005 V10 on my prior RV. I could replicate the problem while under load on certain hills and at lower RPMs before it downshifted. There are also issues that can happen with the boots on the plug itself.

I realize that your rig is quite new, but there still could be a defect on one or more of these. Don't let Ford weasel out of fixing it, especially while it is free under warranty. If the tech is too lazy to take it out for a road test under load (any hills nearby), find a different dealer. Plugging in an OBD reader and saying "nope, no trouble codes" isn't sufficient. Also, saying it is underpowered is also an indication that they don't have a clue. He's just hoping you will go away.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #8

Ford COP failure

Those coils are notorious for failing and hardly ever set a check engine light. The tech needs access to the mode 6 data to check the misfire rates for each cylinder. Ask him to do so and see what he's got to say.

Anthony
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #9

Did you ever get the problem diagnosed and repaired? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:05 AM   #10

Well the motorhome spent a week at the Ford dealers..They road tested twice and could not recreate the condition..No codes showed up anywhere with any of the systems. I went there and took the technician for a ride. They did not have time for me to come back home and hook up the dolly and car. Needless to say the engine ran fine.. But the week before I took it to the dealers I was out getting gas and washing motorhome, while driving I smelled something burning., radio was cutting off and on, camers stopped working..I pulled over and had to cut wiring to cameras where Thor did such a terrible job of running wiring under the dash..they were burning up. Its at the dealers now.. we'll see...

Tags
motorhome