Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 AM   #1

Sitting on the roof

I have a trackside campsite at Pocono race track for a NASCAR race. In the fall, I downsized from my class A to a 2018 Winnebago Spirit class C. I sat so high in the drivers seat in the Class A I didn’t feel the need to go up on the roof. The Spirit is much lower. My question is, other than the safety factor of falling, can 2-3 guys take camp chairs up there to watch the race without doing damage to the roof or structure? I would definitely not let anyone go on the cap in the front.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You might want to give Winnebago a call and ask them. The roofs are backed with plywood and can support at least one person but 3-4, I don't know.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

Think about it. 3 or 4 guys and same number of chairs. 450 plus weight on the roof concentrated on the contact patch of those chairs! No way would I do it! I have seen trailers with a deck, but they looked like they were designed for it. Your unit your call! Just my take on it.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Having sat on mine for racing I think you may be pushing it with three people. Two tops in my opinion. Even with my son and I, we space ourselves far apart, never close together. I have heard and seen people place extra plywood up there to help in spreading the load....

Is that roof fiberglass? You would need to apply something to the feet of chairs to protect that I believe. The same actually if it was rubber....

Best bet is to get in touch with manufacturer as suggested as to what load they believe the roof can take.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #5

I doubt Winnebago would approve. My MH has a sticker on the ladder with a 225# weight limit for the ladder. When you get to the top of the ladder there is another sticker on the roof that says, stay off the roof, it can be slippery and lead to death or serious injury.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #6

Get a couple of 4x4 sheets of plywood to lay on the roof to distribute the weight then, here hold my beer!
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

If you call Winnebago, I'm sure they will tell you not to do it. Four guys, with lawn chairs, cooler, and plywood to protect the roof is way too much load.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #8

I’m sorry, it’s too early on a Sunday for sarcasm!
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh2obury View Post
I’m sorry, it’s too early on a Sunday for sarcasm!
I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't take your comment as sarcasm. I assumed it was, but wasn't sure. Probably be a good idea to use some type of smilie for posts like that.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't take your comment as sarcasm. I assumed it was, but wasn't sure. Probably be a good idea to use some type of smilie for posts like that.

Good idea, I will remember that in the future.

Tags
roof