Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Slide brands ..what to stay away from

We are going to downsize to a class c. My current coach does not have any slides so I have no back round what so ever with slides. The DW says she wants slides so guess what. No tsure if we are going used or new if used not more than 3 yrs old . I guess what I am trying to find out is there a certain "brand" to stay away from. Which drive is best,gear or belt. Like I said before I know nothing when it comes to slides. Saw one that had Trac mounted top and bottom I think it was a Quantum by Thor. Is there a general brand that the builders use or are they..slides.. propryietary to the mfg.. I hear quite of bit of discussion on slides so I think I better get some back round.I am truly amazed at this site. The forums are a wealth of knowledge Thank you in advance for whatever advice you can give me.

Dave Madeira Beach Fl
gegetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

On our last long trip we saw 3 class C's with slides stuck out. All 3 were rentals and were leprechaun rv's. I don't know the brand of slide they use on those.
Lazy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

Winnebago uses power gear (Lippert). .we bought new in Oct 16 and haven't had any problems with the slides. This is our first RV w slides, we love them. Once you narrow down your search, scour the message boards and specific owner forums to get an idea of what issues owners are having and how the manufacturer and dealer deals with them. We have been to Forest City for warranty work (unrelated to slides) and are very satisfied. Dealer also made a few repairs. Expected to work out a few bugs on a new RV and weren't disappointed. Be careful of heavy full wall slides especially if the contain appliances.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #4

We have a 2017 Thor with a full wall slide. They went to the "triple trak" system a few years ago, and there has evidently been a large downturn in the complaints. My only issue was what seemed like a "catch" when starting to extend. I thought it was like a safety thing where the slide settled down just a tad when fully closed and had a little resistance when starting to open. I had it on the list of STD when I went to Wakarusa. They added two inches to the plate that the roller rides on and it has been great since (I wasn't complaining then). Mine has the dinette, sink, and stove on the slide. We love ours.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Slide mechanism are made by several vendors and all are equally good if used as intended. Small slides do fine with Schwintek, larger slides may use PowerGear, and the biggest slides seem to do better with hydraulic systems like HWH. I would pick the builder and the floorplan before I worried about who made the slides.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #6
LOG

We have owned three motorhomes. Two have had hydraulic slides and one has had an electric slide. I recommend the electric slides. A lot less complicated and work just as well. And, do not buy a motorhome with a slide that has an air bladder system unless you just cannot live without it. More trouble and expense for the benefits they provide.
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:50 PM   #7

I have owned two year 2000 class A coaches, both with hwh slides. Knock on wood, both never have given any trouble. If it is still working after 18 years, they must have done something right.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

Slides

I have not owned a coach w/slides, I've noticed some slides seem to 'expand' further then others, some slide out approx 1' and others more like 2' ? can someone explain ?
Bukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
May be due to weight requirements of the frame. Could also be a decision by the bean counters. Or due to the interior arrangement.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
I have not owned a coach w/slides, I've noticed some slides seem to 'expand' further then others, some slide out approx 1' and others more like 2' ? can someone explain ?
Our slide out is limited to the ability to retract. The bedroom storage drawers have about one inch of clearance to the bed when retracted, so it only needs to expand that far to be flush. Part of it may be weight as shorter (length) slides will probably extend further as they aren't as heavy.

Tags
slide