Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I think all RV's need to have the parking brake on in order to operate the slide outs. I know for sure that mine does.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #16

Hi Tom
That's sort of my point. And way off the point of this thread, I'll try not to say "all motorhomes" do anything. There is way to much stuff I don't know. I will stick with "in my experience" (kind of like you did), or "on my motorhome" this is how it works.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

The reason I said all motorhomes is that you wouldn't want someone to open the slideout while going down the road. Therefore with the parking brake activation will be a safety issue.

As far as experience I will say I don't know every coach but do know all my coaches and have been rving since 1989. I also learn a lot from this website and by talking to other rvers.

Finally if I am having a problem that I don't know or can't find on this websitecall Winnebago and they are very helpful plus I used all the drawings and service tips that they have on their website which are downloadable.

Enjoy!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
The parking brake has to be engaged to open or close our slides on our 2003 Minnie Winnie 30v. The engine does not have to be running.

Also the manual says the parking brake must be engaged. We did the same thing and drove our new to us C class home only to find the slides did not work. So I pulled out the manual and found the brake must be applied.

John and Miri
Islandgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #19

Our 2008 Allegro Bay on a Workhorse W24 the parking brake also needs to be on. But that is manufactures wiring. The chassis has a wire to indicate the brake is on, if the builder doesn't use it--he doesn't care much about your saftey!

The latest issue of Good Sam Highways magizine, has an article about slideouts by the RV Doctor. He says, Lippert, the makers of a lot of slide, and other RV components, says the biggest 3 problems with slides is VOLTAGE, VOLTAGE and VOLTAGE. It takes power to turn those motors. power is equal to voltage times amperage. Too much amperage will burn out the motors. The answer is--ALWAYS run your engine when operating the slideouts, and you'll be doning all you can to supply the max voltage. You gotta go turn the key on anyway--just turn it 1 more position
I hope the RV Doc has saved at least one of you from slideout problems.
Ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #20

rondi
On my 2001 Damon Daybreak Workhorse chassis the power to the slides is locked off by a pair of normally closed relays when the ignition is on. When you turn the ignition on or start the engine the slides do not work. You could not accidently extend them while driving. The only "parking brake" is the one on the drive shaft that is automatically applied when the transmission is in park. I have to admit I have never tried the slides when not in park so I guess the "parking brake" is applied by default. I guess if the coach batteries were dead and you needed to pull in the slides you would have to run the engine long enough the put enough charge in them to allow the emergency start relay to close so you could use the chassis battery to assist or start the generator.
Lots of different ways to wire them.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several different interlock systems.

I have two different ones on my Motorhome (Damon Intruder 377W (W=Workhorse))

My Jacks, and some slideouts. As noted above, Engine running (Well key on) Tranny in PARK (or neutral) and parking brake set. In the case of the re-wired jacks (Control failure I built my own controller) It does not sense the tranny, it does the parking brake and ignition though.

SLIDES, Parking brake, ignored, tranny ignored, IGNITION OFF, must be OFF.

PLUS there is a key lock on the control panel. this one must be ON.

Then the slides will work....Less I snap the )@(#)$*@# shear pins again. Then all but one of them work.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
2005 Monoco Esquire.......just set up camp in Asheville area mountains.........everything works EXCEPT the slide = dead. I do not think that I am getting electricity to the unit and am not able to find the correct circuit. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Packard49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Have you read the previous posts on this subject? The parking brake must be on and the key lock switch turned to on. Other than that eithere read the manual or call Monaco.

Good Luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb0628 View Post
There's a key switch to enable the slide switch, and there's no safety strap on the slide. Makes me wonder what they changed so that you don't need the safety strap?
Some that have a a safety strap or bar to keep the slide in could could be hydraulic units which could leak down and allow the slide to extend, without some way to physically keep it in. That shouldn't be an issue with slides that have electric motors instead of hydraulics.

I didn't realize there were two pages to this thread when I replied, or that it's an 8 1/2 month old thread.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you. Just thought that I would look under the truck. Did not know what I was looking for, desperate as I was. Back at the rear of the truck is a wiring harness. One of the large connections was apart. I guessed and prayed that I was not going to blow the electrical system. Guess what? That harness was the problem. My guess is that the harness connection was never in the lock (clicked) position from the factory, and , over the years, it came apart.

I hope my experience is able to help someone.
Packard49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout