Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 PM   #1

Small RV A/C requirements

I just bought a 25.2 ft class C (Jayco Melbourne 24k). It has a 13500 ducted AC unit. I’m hearing stories of 29 and 31 ft RV that require 2 AC units in southern states in the summertime. Has anyone had experience with units of similar size to mine? Im wondering what kind of adjustments I’ll have to make in order to keep things comfortable in northwest Florida.
Thanks!
2019 Jayco Melbourne 24K,
1100 miles.
Moondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #2

RV windows are terrible in the heat— even the double pane models. You can’t put enough bubble insulation or anything inside of them to make any difference...

The best thing you can do is park in the shade. No trees? It’s going to be a problem...

A 15k BTU keeps up in my 24’ very well insulated TT to 100 degrees or so but north of that it strains to keep up. By 118 the best it can do is the mid 80s. I’m considering either a second AC or exterior shades for this summer.

https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/rv-shades/
Old 03-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

Here in Yuma, Arizona, Reflectix is the go to product.....cut to fit inside windows, and line inside of cabinets........13,500 keeps this one cool....start A/C around 10 AM....also helps a lot in winter...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #4

Small RV a/c requirements

Both ideas seem worth the investment. My experience along the gulf coast is not so much high Temps (100+) as the humidity.
Moondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #5

With our class B+, an outdoor shade that includes the side windows would provide the most protection from the sun & heat. The cab area is the worst of it so stopping heat build-up there would be most effective.

Any inside shade is shielding after the heat has "entered the building". Preventing heat from building up inside to begin with would offer the greatest efficiency.
Ron Dittmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 PM   #6

Side window shades help and an outside the windshieldvalso helps. Bigger help is not a dark colored RV. Check the last ceiling vent in each run for the AC. Going away from the last vent, I blocked the run so more air flow from each run. Also colder. I'm 32ft with a 13500 AC unit.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have battled high heat for past 2 years in south Texas, TV is a class c tioga 31ft, with 2 slides, in direct sun ( no shade ) at 102 outside best I could do.inside was 85f with a 15k unit on the roof, found out that there were breaks in the roof sc ducts forward, replaced stock ac grill with a Coleman "chill grill" and by using it it cut off the forward ac ducts, open the vents in the daytime and it cools better in the forward cabin at night close the grills and bedroom stays ice cold, ok at 102 outside with grills open it would hold 78 inside temp, yah I need 2 11k units, check my other posts.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:26 AM   #8

If the reflectix doesn't cut it for the windows, try this.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/insulfoam-c...BoCs6gQAvD_BwE

You can also cut it to go inside of the cabinets along the exterior walls to help with transfer there.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:55 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
My ole 30 ft class A Mirada had one A/C unit. It did OK in the Arizona summer when the outside temps hit 115 deg.

I tinted all the windows, and made window covers out of the Reflectex (The aluminized bubble wrap insulating stuff)

Window tint and window covers – 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #10

As mentioned above, shade is your friend. If you don’t have an awning get one, and it helps to put them on all windows. Get a great big piece of the Reflectix for the windshield, and the side windows. Don’t let the MH get hot in the first place, start cooling early in the day.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #11

+1 on window awnings. We added them a couple of years ago. Makes a big difference.