Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Solar battery trickle charger

Hello. I'm a newbie. I have a solar trickle charger hooked up to my start up battery. Should I disconnect it before cranking over the engine? Thanks
tomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I don't think any harm will come to your solar cell by leaving it connected to the battery when starting. What were you afraid of?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #3

I assume this is a plug into cig lighter portable type solar charger/maintainer? It can stay connected. However once started you do not need it, as the alternator takes care of charging. So it is a disconnect before or disconnect after, either way you are disconnecting it.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #4

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. The solar panel is actually integrated into the roof with cables that wrap around two cleats while the vehicle is underway. The cables can be dropped down into the engine/battery compartment and clamped onto the posts. I suppose the safest procedure would be to disconnect them before starting the engine
tomag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
First off, Welcome to the forum!!!

I am not sure that I fully understand your setup, but I will try to provide some guidance for your question. Having a solar panel connected to your starting batteries is nothing unusual. Many have them hard-wired - they are designed not to routinely be disconnected.

I am assuming by "...solar trickle charger..." that you mean it is one of the smaller 10watt solar panels. If not, a little bit more info might help us to better understand your question.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #6

Welcome!

I also have a couple solar trickle chargers hooked up to our rig for the winter storage. We keep one on the house battery and one on the engine battery and both seem to be holding up well in this brutal winter we have been having in Massachusetts.

I would recommend just to be on the cautious side to remove the charger before starting the vehicle or the generator if you have one on the house battery. It may not affect anything but you never know and I read in my solar charger instructions to disconnect it first for possible damage.

On the plus side the ones that I have are only about $20 from Harbor freight so if I forget to disconnect and it does break I am not out that much $$.

~Good Luck
jason1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Probably does not matter, but seems easy enough to disconnect before starting - just to be safe
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #8

In your case, I would disconnect them, before starting up.
You don`t need any sparks near the batteries, after start up, while the alternator is working hard, putting back the amps used to start you engine.

If they were hard wired in, you could leave them.

Be safe
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:01 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Perhaps in the cheap solar chargers they might not have a big enough diode to prevent alternator current back feeding to the cells themselves. If they suggest unplugging, better do it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar