Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Solar Power Stations

Hi Everyone,

I only have one coach battery...but...I am seeing more items like this that have a 30 amp outlet. One Solar Power station boasting as having as much storage as 3 Battle Born Batteries. Technology is a wonderful thing!!!
Anyone using items such as this? You could run just your AC unit at night, if needed...it would be quiet

R,
Chris

Jimmy Jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #2

It will not run AC for long, if at all.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Forget that thing. Will not work.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. Good to know
Jimmy Jime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:38 PM   #5

If you find one that has decent battery storage capacity, they can be useful. I looked at one as an addition to the solar-and-battery setup I have now, along with a couple portable panels to set out in the sun. I decided that you end up paying a rather large premium for putting it all into a little portable package, and so I'll pay half the money and get the same capabilities but in an installed set of equipment.

If I rented RV's or sometimes RV'ed and sometimes tented, I'd look more seriously at them again, as you can carry it from situation to situation. In the end, the portability is expensive.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #6

I have LiFePo4 for house batt, but I’m seriously considering the Bluetti eb70. Per amp hour, it cost less ($8.50/ah) than a single BattleBorn 100ah. Since I don’t really want another 170ah house battery, im thinking the Bluetti can give me another day or two of boondocking at a much lower cost than adding another battery, and I could also use it as indoor battery for power outages at home. Anybody have the Bluetti?
Old 08-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's the thing. With a gas generator you know you have power ... like 2200w of power as long as you have gas (or propane). And you can easily go buy more gas and take it to your campsite in the desert and continue to have full power from your generator.

But what happens when you run out of battery power on your "solar generator?" Can you go buy some more power to recharge the battery? Oh, you'll use the Sun you say. How much sun do you need to recharge your "solar generator?" What if there isn't enough sun or not enough solar panels or both?

Are you going to take the solar generator to town and plug it into an electrical outlet to charge it up? Where are you getting that electrical outlet?

You don't have these issues with a gas generator. You know exactly where to buy gas and exactly how much you need.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #8

I have a small propane generator, but prefer not to use it.
The problem with portable solar is, you have to store away the panel when you take an excursion away from your RV. This limits charging hours. If a power station can charge quickly from the tow vehicle 12v adapter, charging problem is partially solved. Not making a case one way or the other. Just would like to hear from folks who’ve gone down this road.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Per amp hour, it cost less ($8.50/ah) than a single BattleBorn 100ah.
Prowse has reviewed a few new 100aH Li batteries that are on Amazon for $400, and liked them. So I'm thinking that the BB price isn't going to be the standard much longer.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
The problem with portable solar is, you have to store away the panel when you take an excursion away from your RV. This limits charging hours.
When I was looking at portables, my plan was to simply set the panels on the roof next to my installed panels.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #11

Thought about that, but then thought a thief would see the cable coming from the roof to my sidewall port. Much the risk. Just like not being to leave the generator out even if chained to the bumper.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Thought about that, but then thought a thief would see the cable coming from the roof to my sidewall port. Much the risk. Just like not being to leave the generator out even if chained to the bumper.
I wired in excess cabling through the roof when I installed my panels, so I could run them that way. But, yeah, solar equipment seems like it would be ripe for plucking. That's also sort of why I shied away from the portables. If someone got into my rig, they really couldn't easily take the installed stuff, but the suitcase would go quick.

I know Prowse reviewed some other Bluetti's, but I haven't seen him do the EB70. Not sure why, but I've sort of settled on him as the gold standard for reviewers, and I'd be more eager if he liked it.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #13

I spent a lot of time looking into this, including posting your same question on a few forums. The many, many Youtube videos make it look cheap & easy versus installing lithium batteries, an inverter, and maybe solar. However, there was a LOT more to it than just plugging my 30 A cord into the box.
It can be done, but I decided that I'll stick with using my generator for now.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #14

I went with the Inergy solar gen. so my wife can run her CPAP machine at night without having to listen to a noisy generator. I install two panels on the roof and wired it down through refrigerator vent.
puddlejumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar