Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #1

Solid tire valves and installing them

So you can add me to the list of people that installed valve extensions only to end up with a deflated tire. Thankfully it deflated in storage and not on a our recent trip to Canada.

So it looks like there are three main solid valve manufacturers: Tireman, Borgman and Duallyvalve. Is one better than another?

Finally, I found a local place here in Charlotte NC that knew what I was talking about and can work on a motorhome. They want $52 a tire to install the valves and remount the tire and of course rebalance as well. They specialize in large trucks so I think I can trust them but is that a resonable price?

Thanks!
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #2

IMO, that is reasonable. These metal valve stems are not cheap themselves. The normal charge here for a 16" truck tire is about $30 for that procedure if the owner supplies the valve stem.I'm sure you already know valve stem pricing.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
IMO, that is reasonable. These metal valve stems are not cheap themselves. The normal charge here for a 16" truck tire is about $30 for that procedure if the owner supplies the valve stem.I'm sure you already know valve stem pricing.
The OP doesn't say if that $52 includes the stems or it's just the labor.
If it's just the labor that's pretty high.
If it includes providing the stems it's OK but not a super deal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the Dually Valves installed at a FMCA Rally in January. The total cost was $135 including the rubber support boots.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
rcase13,

I think it is an excellent idea to replace the short valve stem, on the inner rear dualies, with a long one to eliminate the extension. In addition, I'd recommend that you consider replacing the outside wheel valve stem which points "IN" with an angled one that points "out". I did this a couple of years ago and it sure makes life simpler. For me, the main benefit is that my tire pressure monitoring system for the outer tire (a transmitter that mounts on the end of the valve stem) is in a position where I can easily remove it to add air to the tire if necessary. If you keep the "inward pointing" valve stems on your outer dualies, getting that monitoring gizmo off is a real bear.

I see that one of the sources that you listed has a kit showing 2 of the valve stems for the inner wheels and 2 for the outer wheels (the shorter angled ones). They also have a great photo on this web page:
DL4AKW25 Chrome Dually Valve Kit

As far as price, I think I paid a little over $150 a couple of years ago to do all 4.

Cheers,
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #6

The $52 does not include the valve stems. That will be about $150 more... I will keep shopping around I guess. Everything in Charlotte just seems to cost more.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #7

valve stems

I just bought the long brass inner duel valve stems for $3.00 a piece at O'Rilleys auto store. They had them in various lengths, like 2 and 1/2 up to 5 inches. Still looking for the curve ones for the outer duel. 16 inch tires.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #8

Think about whether or not solid tire valves are worth the possible headache or cost implication for tire rotation, or if you can live with just removing the simulators and squeezing a truck tire gauge and chuck in there.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

Jackfish-good points made, but does one rotate the tires on the truck chassis? I would like to be able to check the pressure but my tire guy, also family friend, says from his experience the valve stem extensions pose a greater risk and he suggested I ought to change to the old brass valve stems. If I bought the stems he would pop them in for $5 dollars a tire. I found the straight stems but still looking for the curved ones. I thought about the pressure read out caps but too much money right now, so to minimize risk going to get rid of the extensions and go one piece valve.
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you looked here:

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Mike View Post
rcase13,

I think it is an excellent idea to replace the short valve stem, on the inner rear dualies, with a long one to eliminate the extension. In addition, I'd recommend that you consider replacing the outside wheel valve stem which points "IN" with an angled one that points "out". I did this a couple of years ago and it sure makes life simpler. For me, the main benefit is that my tire pressure monitoring system for the outer tire (a transmitter that mounts on the end of the valve stem) is in a position where I can easily remove it to add air to the tire if necessary. If you keep the "inward pointing" valve stems on your outer dualies, getting that monitoring gizmo off is a real bear.
I bought the flow through sensors so I don't have to remove them on the rears. On the fronts I did use the "cap" style as the flow throughs would stick out too far.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install