Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 03:03 PM   #1

Sonovagun (Cat stolen)

The storage lot (with double gates, cameras, razor wire, etc.) was hit and my E-450 was one of the lucky ones that is now missing its cat.

I had been waffling on the "weld some kind of cage thing on it" for about a year now. Maybe that will be moved up the to do list now.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

Replace that cat with a calico tabby. No, wait, they're just as expensive in the long run...

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems the scumbags will steal most anything. Last weekend, they tried to steal the tailgate on my F350. They punched out the lock, opened it and tool the retaining straps loose. But I have an extra lock on the hinge that takes some effort to get loose. Same weekend, my son-in-law had the door lock on his F250 punched and the went through the truck and found nothing to steal. The police told him they are usually looking for drugs, guns, electronics and money.

You know the crooks are just trying to get some Christmas cash. I now park my truck with the tailgate a few inches from the pinbox. They can't get it open now.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
MBUTTS,
There are several threads re; stolen cats.
When you replace yours, write somewhere close by, in a couple of locations, " smile, you're on camera"
Let them try to figure out if it's true, or where it is.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:04 PM   #5

Getting ridicules! Need new technology. We will all pay in our insurance bill.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:04 AM   #6

I went to the lot yesterday to have a look. The good news was that the thief cut the cat's flange off so I don't have to replace any of the exhaust system from the manifold to the cat. They did cut the O2 sensor wiring so I'll have to repair the wiring harness.

I'm getting a copy of the police report on Monday and will file a claim with Progressive. This is my first (and, hopefully, ONLY) claim with them. I'll post what my experience with their process is.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder how long it will be before the insurance companies start excluding Catalytic Converter theft from coverage? Or adding it as"optional coverage"?
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #8

The better question is when will law enforcement crack down on all these no questions asked junk yards buying them.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #9

For those with levelers, if you had a steel cage that can be slipped under the chassis, around the Cat, you could then lower the chassis so that it can't be pulled out.

When you want to travel, lift the chassis up and pull it out, leaving it at the storage yard.

You may be able to use a water trough, sold at Tractor Supply , and trimmed to fit.

Sure it can be cut, but they are in a hurry and will move on to the next one.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

Round One with Progressive: Flo has very nicely offered to buy me a $165 "universal" converter and she also threw in 2.5 hours of shop time using 1974* hourly rates. *Not really, just venting

If I can replace a converter for a huge engine for $165, why is there any market for stolen ones? I might as well order 50 and sell them to a scrap dealer for thousands more.

The shop I found after a lot of searching in Metro Detroit that does work on motorhomes gave me an estimate of $1,200 to $1,600 for a non-OEM cat installed.

Stay tuned!
Old 12-20-2021, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Round One with Progressive: Flo has very nicely offered to buy me a $165 "universal" converter and she also threw in 2.5 hours of shop time using 1974* hourly rates. *Not really, just venting

If I can replace a converter for a huge engine for $165, why is there any market for stolen ones? I might as well order 50 and sell them to a scrap dealer for thousands more.

The shop I found after a lot of searching in Metro Detroit that does work on motorhomes gave me an estimate of $1,200 to $1,600 for a non-OEM cat installed.

Stay tuned!
That price must be for a tail light converter.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
When my Cat was stolen at the RV storage yard this year Progressive covered it fully at a cost of $2700. No hassle or delays. Cost me $250 for the deductible. I got an OEM cat and Exhaust sensor, too.
Old 12-21-2021, 06:09 AM   #13

Creative,
That's very interesting. I'll bring that up if I don't lose patience and just fix it myself. The closest shop I could find in Metro Detroit was 40 minutes away so dropping it off for an estimate, picking it up while Progressive's adjuster approves that, then dropping the MH off for the repair, etc. takes up a lot of time.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Here’s how I proceeded to get mine fixed.
  • I filed a police report.
  • I called an Automotive shop that I’ve used before for RV oil changes
  • They said they could get the part and fit me in in three days. I made the appointment
  • I filed a claim online with progressive
  • When the Progressive rep called I told him the name of the shop and told him the work was being done the next day
  • He said Okay and that he’d call the shop
  • I took in the RV
  • It took them two days to replace because of a delay with the exhaust gas sensor part
  • When I picked up the RV the shop charged me $2,700.
  • I uploaded a photo of the paid bill to my claim online
  • Progressive sent me a check about a week later for all but the Comprehensive deductible

My RV is a 2017 Winnebago Adventurer on a 24,000 lb Ford F53 chassis. The replacement converter appears to be the stock part.

Tags
cat