Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

Spare Tire

Wondering how many folks with Class C's carry the spare tire. We have one, but was thinking with a roadside service subscription that carrying a spare might not really be needed. That is a lot of dead weight to be carrying around.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #2

I carry one but agree that it's dead weight. My 1999 C has the original spare under it.

I probably wouldn't run on it, at that age. Just didn't want to crawl under and drop it.

Although the wheel could come in handy if I damage one.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

I carry one, and wouldn't leave home without one. I carry the necessary tools, bottle jack, electric impact wrench to change it myself, even though I have roadside assistance. Don't want to spend hours waiting for someone to respond if it's something I can do myself.
If your unable to change it yourself, and rely on roadside assistance, you still should still have one for them to change. If not, your at the mercy of whatever tire they bring, and your stuck with whatever price they will charge for it. The response and labor may be covered, but not the cost of whatever wheel/tire they bring.
I carry mine on a dual extension I bought, rather then crawl underneath the rig.
And if you think about it, spare tire/rim weighs , what, maybe 75-80 lbs? Maybe "dead weight...until you need it!!!
Grumpy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	121244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1667.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	121245  

grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many many many threads here regarding pro and cons of spare tire carry. The search tool will find several hours of reading. (-:
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Wink Having a spare is a no brainer...

Having no spare will not only lighten your coach it will lighten your wallet.... big time, when you blow a tire and get to buy one at the side of the road. Assuming the emergency responder can even find the right size tire (you will have no choice as to what they bring you), get ready to pay $300 - $400.

Picture the availability of the needed tire when you blow one 20 miles south of East Treestump late on a Sunday afternoon or going into a holiday weekend.

Just about the most dangerous place you will ever be is on the shoulder of an interstate with a blown tire and traffic whizzing by at 80. The cops call it the "dead/kill zone". If you have a spare, even if you cannot change it yourself, any tow truck operator or good samaritan can, you will be out of the zone quickly.

No spare? You will likely remain in the zone for hours. If your rig cannot tolerate an extra 70 - 80# you bought the wrong coach or have badly over loaded.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

I'll go you one better...
We're planning a 3-4 month trip across Canada and into Alaska next year, and I'll be carrying two spare tire'rim combos. One in pic, and another mounted to front via a class 3 receiver I mounted to the front. May not ever need them, but if I do, I got em.
Planning on lots of side trips...forget about East Treestump. How about a flat tire 30 miles from nowhere in Canada, on a Sunday!!! Roadside assistance will be there in a day or so, but might not have my size!!
There is no "con" to carrying one.
Carrying one is definately a no brainer.
Grumpy
Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

I would carry a spare tire for all the reasons above. There have only been a few times it was needed, but I was glad it was there. For me, it and the tools I carry provide just a bit more independence.

I have a question for those with a spare tire mounted on the rear of their MH. How do you get it down when you need it and get the flat back up in place? Those things are heavy (for an older guy)! Ours is a mounted little higher than grumpy0374's and on a solid frame. I've been thinking of fabricating a little portable crane, or something. I know, even more weight.

Thanks.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
I would carry a spare tire for all the reasons above. There have only been a few times it was needed, but I was glad it was there. For me, it and the tools I carry provide just a bit more independence.

I have a question for those with a spare tire mounted on the rear of their MH. How do you get it down when you need it and get the flat back up in place? Those things are heavy (for an older guy)! Ours is a mounted little higher than the OP's. I've been thinking of fabricating a little portable crane, or something. I know, even more weight.

Thanks.

Steve
No worries for me. I plan to have the roadside service truck do the heavy lifting. With my health issues I can't be changing tires myself any longer. I carry a spare on the rear of my Aspect.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Don't know what rig you have, but the tire/rim combo on my Lexi weighs around 70 lbs. I have, by myself, lifted it up and onto the tire carrier I have in the photos (I'm 66).
When on the road, wife is always with me and she's not afraid of getting her hands dirty.
But, even if you can't change it yourself, it's good to have so roadside assistance, or a good samaritan can change it for you. I've stopped to help rv'ers on the roadside lots of times, with a flat, only to find they didn't have a spare to use. So, they end up sitting and sitting and sitting.
Even had a couple try to buy my spare tire/rim.
Grumpy
Old 03-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post

I have a question for those with a spare tire mounted on the rear of their MH. How do you get it down when you need it and get the flat back up in place? Those things are heavy (for an older guy)! Ours is a mounted little higher than grumpy0374's and on a solid frame. I've been thinking of fabricating a little portable crane, or something. I know, even more weight.

Thanks.

Steve
Roadmaster makes a really neat spare tire/rim carrier that is rated to carry a class a tire/rim combo. When needed the combo is swung down on a pivot. Real nice, but real pricey.
Company called Pit Pass has a nice heavy duty carrier, Item Pit Pass # 292, that will bolt directly to the back of a motor home.
One I have is made by Curt and runs about 75 bucks.
Grumpy
Old 03-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
Having no spare will not only lighten your coach it will lighten your wallet.... big time, when you blow a tire and get to buy one at the side of the road. Assuming the emergency responder can even find the right size tire (you will have no choice as to what they bring you), get ready to pay $300 - $400.

Picture the availability of the needed tire when you blow one 20 miles south of East Treestump late on a Sunday afternoon or going into a holiday weekend.

Just about the most dangerous place you will ever be is on the shoulder of an interstate with a blown tire and traffic whizzing by at 80. The cops call it the "dead/kill zone". If you have a spare, even if you cannot change it yourself, any tow truck operator or good samaritan can, you will be out of the zone quickly.
No spare? You will likely remain in the zone for hours. If your rig cannot tolerate an extra 70 - 80# you bought the wrong coach or have badly over loaded.
As always.... Opinions and YMMV.
Capt Steve
I agree
Few, if any ERS, (emergency road service), policies will pay for a tire if you don't have a spare tire with you when uou need one.

But they will pay a mobile tire service to put your "mounted spare tire" on your coach if you have one...(and most will pay for the labor to mount your un-mounted spare tire in place of a damaged tire if necessary).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Thanks grumpy, you've given me some food for thought. Hopefully it will be of some use to Dr. Den as well.

My spare tire is already mounted to the back of the MH, but several feet higher than yours. The only problem I'm facing is getting it down from there and back up when I need to. I'm nearly 77 and don't need another hernia. I'm already lined with mesh from the last batch. :-))

I'll figure it out, thanks again for the ideas.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #13

Although I'm new to the Class C world I have always been a fan of spares and the tools to change them. I've never had a blowout at a convenient time or place.
JustinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:40 AM   #14

tire

If you are looking to loose dead weight there better ways to accomplish
this. You could start by oh never mind:knuppe l2:
beeman12 is offline   Reply With Quote