Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2023, 07:17 AM   #1

spare tire

Anyone have their spare tire mounted under their RV? I have a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 22E and am thinking about trying to mount a spare tire under the rv somehow. Just was looking for ideas.
gsuders86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2023, 07:19 PM   #2

Spare Tire

I have a Freedom Elite 24 on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.
Thor did not remove the spare tire carriage when they mounted the house portion. They used zip ties to hold it up to the frame. Not sure why they didn't remove it, but glad it was there.

I used uni-strut and 3/8 inch all thread to make an attachment to the frame.
The spare tire is in the carriage, secured with a ratchet strap as a precaution. The carriage has two 3/8 " all-thread holding it to the frame, with 3/8 nuts and 3/8 wingnuts as backstops. It also has a ratchet strap as a precaution, and to help lowering and raising the spare tire carriage.

When it stops raining, I'll take some photos and post
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 11:43 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Conquest LE Class-C with rear side bed slide out has recessed spare mounted below. (I.e. tire is NOT a clearance concern) I am hoping to add a spare tire winch, as that 75# too heavy for this old man, and I have to use jack/ ratchet straps to pull up to final position to bolt down.
Old 04-29-2023, 10:19 AM   #4

Spare tire

Here are a few photos of how I added the spare tire back on my Sprinter based Freedom Elite 24.
I used 1/2 inch all thread not 3/8 as mentioned before. The original Mercedes tire carriage was left in place by Thor. The OEM Mercedes hooks would not work. The upper strut channel slipped right into tabs on the frame. The nuts on the upper part of the all thread are set with red locktite and jam nuts. At the bottom of the all thread, small pieces of strut are used as hooks. i used wing nuts as jam nuts and have extra all thread in case they come loose. Ratchet straps also secure the carriage, as a precaution.

The photos were taken after 7000 miles of cross country travel, so not too much road grime gets on the spare. As I look at the photos, it appears I have to tighten the nuts one side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_115122.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	391634   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_115141.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	338.9 KB
ID:	391635  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_115050.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	391636   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_115039_Burst01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	391637  

Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 07:34 PM   #5

I added one to my ford 350 25’ Gulf Stream. I used a Adnik spare tire carrier. You can adjust it to many different frame widths widths. It has the winch type lift. I can reach under with a cordless gun from the side of the coach (curb side for safety) and lower or raise the tire. I will most likely add a extension to the raise/lowering shaft to have it come to the side of the rv to require even Less getting under the Rv
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 10:41 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both our Mini Winnie 24 (Ford E350) and Coach House 272XL (Ford E450) came with spare tires mounted underneath.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 05:27 PM   #7

I added a spare using two approx 2.5" wide ratchet straps. I was able to get the strap up and over the frame so its super snug and secure. I added a safety chain in the event a ratchet strap gave out, but after 4 years still holding strong!
Clotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsuders86 View Post
Anyone have their spare tire mounted under their RV? I have a 2020 Thor Freedom Elite 22E and am thinking about trying to mount a spare tire under the rv somehow. Just was looking for ideas.
You can buy a pre-built under chassis mount spare tire carrier and winch handle but needs frame space to mount it and chances are you'll need to weld up a sub-frame to mount the carrier.

Also need to consider the route a winch handle needs to take under your frame to lower and raise the spare tire. Avoiding tanks, plumbing, clearances, etc.

There could be challenges with your chassis frame which make an under mount spare tire carrier difficult or impossible to overcome.
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:14 PM   #9

2017 Coachmen Concord 300TS comes with factory mounted spare under chassis with winch system.
Old 05-03-2023, 09:41 PM   #10

My coach came with a spare mounted to the rear wall. I made a 2x4 ramp to help roll it down after dropping it to the bumper. Even a 16" tire is very heavy with a steel rim!

BTW, if you have the under-chassis winch, make sure to check the cable integrity on occasion. I dropped a spare from my old F-150 one day, thankfully just taking off from a green light. The cable snapped. If that had happened on the freeway, it could have killed someone. I replaced the winch, then added a couple ratchet straps as backup. Think about it... all that weight only supported by a cable, bouncing down the road.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:18 PM   #11

Cool Carry a spare and mount it right...

After the bumper mount{they are all a joke} fractured and failed completely having navigated one too many potholes I knew I needed a permanent solution. Fortunately we were soon to pass through Elkhart our way home from a 2 month cross country trip.

Stopped at the Nexus factory and had them weld a permanent mount under the rear of our 24' coach... An hour and half of labor at a very reasonable $75 an hour and...end of problem.

I have only needed the spare once but was damned glad to have it as we ended up sitting in the dead zone of the I-10 shoulder west of Phoenix after my outside/drivers side dually grenaded doing $4,181 in damage. It blew the wheel well right up through the bottom of the coach.

IMHO: Always travel with a mounted spare and the tools to change it out.

As always... Opinions and YMMV

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire