Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2022, 12:22 PM   #1

Spare tire- with or without rim?

I have a brand new spare tire with the rim in my storage area. Would it make sense to just carry the tire without the rim? Weight savings? Easier to move around for packing etc.?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 12:25 PM   #2

You better off keeping it mounted ! All you will save is about 50 lbs still going to take up the room !
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 02:41 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
If you are physically able to mount and dismount the tire to the vehicle, then leave it on the rim.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:30 PM   #4

There is no way I would attempt to change a tire on the RV. Road service only for me. At 75....not a chance.....bob
Old 05-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
If you don't have the tools to mount the tire onto your existing rim, and an air source to fill it up afterwards, then having a tire without a rim is useless, in my opinion.

Even if you have the means to swap tires on the existing rim, you better hope no damage was done to the rim before needed that spare. A nice new pretty tire won't be much good on a damaged rim if it can't hold the seal.
The Ward Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #6

Looks like a 16" wheel. Leave it on.
Old 05-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
If you have it on a wheel, there should be no charge if you have it changed using roadside assistance.

If you only have a bare tire, you may get charged for the labor to change it, and also it might be harder to find a roadside tire guy to do it.

JMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:21 PM   #8

Excellent points guys....the tire will stay on the rim.....thanks for all your input..
Old 05-09-2022, 09:01 PM   #9

I carried mine in a compartment for awhile. I ended up getting a spare tire lift for a tow behind camper and with a slight modification installed it under my class C. It’s easy to get down especially with a cordless impact gun. Not every class C has the room for it but if you do it frees up a nice chunk of storage
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:11 AM   #10

For our 2007 E350, I weighed a brand new tire with the stock steel wheel. It weighs 85 pounds. It sounds like a lot of weight to handle for older folks, but its size, shape, and rubber contact, makes it "reasonably" manageable.

For many years I assumed changing a tire on our rig was going to be a serious challenge. That was until I removed the front tires for the first time to change the front shocks. More recently I removed all six of my tires to replace them. That was not so bad either.

Keep in-mind I was never considered a well built guy. I was 63 years old when last handling a tire on a wheel.

Also keep in-mind that no other traveler can help you without a spare tire with wheel.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #11

Cool Keep it mounted...

I agree with Ron {but then I "usually" do...}, leave the tire on the rim for all of the reasons set out above. If it is on the rim and properly inflated than any good samaritan can help you get going quickly and easily {I assume you have a decent jack, jack stand, large lug/torque wrench {the powered ones are really nice and not that expensive at harbor Freight}.

ERS will have you rolling in no time even if you lack the tools but it is nice to have options. An extra 50# is hardly worth considering unless you are already well over your GVWR. At age 70, 5'9" and 185 I am quite capable and equipped to change any of my tires. But...did I let the ERS guy do it when we had a disastrous blowout {$4,181} on I-10... you betcha!

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:05 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I carry an unmounted spare.

Since I went to Class A RVs, I carry an unmounted spare in the bed of my pickup. I store a lot of stuff inside the tire.

When I got my first SuperC with 19.5' tires, I got a flat on I30 outside of Dallas late on a Sunday night. Good Sam finally found a tire and sent out a repair guy. He changed the tire on the side of the road. It took about 2 hours to find a right size tire. All my RV tires were Michelin, but the tire they found was a non-matching Dunlop. They also overcharged me for the tire. Good Sam paid for the tire change. Had to buy another matching Michelin later and sold the Dunlop on Craigslist for a big loss.

Carrying a matching tire eliminates the delay in finding a tire and also guarantees a matching tire at a reasonable price. An unmounted tire is much lighter to handle and having the extra storage in the tire helps.

Regards, Jerry
Old 05-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #13

Official iRV2 Sponsor

In response to your question about the spare tire being mounted --- this depends on how your rv in configured. For Example, most towables use the same rim for all wheel positions - in the case, a mounted spare tire makes sense. However, the larger Class A Models use different rims on the same vehicle. For example - their exterior rims are aluminum, while the inside duel rims are steel. For these coaches, carrying an un-mounted spare is the best course of action.
Safe travels everyone.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_TireMan View Post
However, the larger Class A Models use different rims on the same vehicle. For example - their exterior rims are aluminum, while the inside duel rims are steel. For these coaches, carrying an un-mounted spare is the best course of action.
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

Our 2007 E350 chassis has 4 visible alloy wheels and 2 hidden steel wheels. We carry a spare with a steel wheel. The spare is meant to get us on the road quickly until I find the right tire shop to repair or replace the original tire on either type of wheel.

Tags
tire