Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #29

Sprinter Chassis Thor Siesta questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Seven speed only is available behind the 4 cylinder diesel, not the V-6.

Charles

Wow, that's just nuts. Was in the manual so I just assumed. Had to look it up myself. Hard to believe eh Charles. Is too bad, the 6 cylinder could use some help. Started looking for aftermarket parts and wife frowned at me :-) Only thing I have found was performance air filter... thanks for correcting me. Kev
wkdoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I personally find that the 6 cylinder MB diesel has more than enough power to do anything you need to do. Motorhomes don't race anywhere, they just cruise along. I figure if I can accelerate enough to pass other cars on a 2 lane road while towing my Honda, my MB has more than enough power. I find that the power is pretty equal to my 9L cummins in my former motorhome.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:09 PM   #31

Don't get me wrong, I like my MB Thor. But I am comparing it to my 6.9 Cummings and when heavy loaded there is no comparison and my RPMs are lower on the Dodge due to the rear end. The MB has a 4.11. The little 3.0L is working hard at highway speeds.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #32
jws

I just yanked a 2015 Hyundai Veloster up I40 with my 2010 Coachmen Freelander (MB Sprinter) . It actually did quite well. However: prior to buying the Hyundai I was looking a Jeeps (TJs). My tow limit is #3500. After a lot of research I looked at several 2003 to 2006 TJs, soft top, 4 cylinder, manual. No unlimited, no Rubicon no lift, no big tires. This is the only way I could stay within the #3500 max limit. Why I bought the Hyundai? I could not bring myself to spend 14K to 16K on a vehicle with almost 100k on the odometer. Now after towing from Fl. to Texas to NC I have buyers remorse. Why, the toad take a beating on our highway system. I thought I lost it several times thru potholes that would swallow a Fiat 500. Even driving the Hyundai thru the streets of the cities we visited was nerve racking. My advice, override your conscience and get the Jeep I specified above.

John
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkdoolin View Post
Don't get me wrong, I like my MB Thor. But I am comparing it to my 6.9 Cummings and when heavy loaded there is no comparison and my RPMs are lower on the Dodge due to the rear end. The MB has a 4.11. The little 3.0L is working hard at highway speeds.
Mine runs along at 2200 rpm or so at 62-64 mph (speed limited by toad requirements). I don't consider that working hard. Don't forget, these engines are designed to operate at full throttle all day long on the autobahns in Germany.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #34

Strong suggestion for anyone owning a MB Sprinter based RV. Buy a gauge system like the Edge Insight CTS2 to monitor the engine. We have a 2017 Thor Synergy (2016 Sprinter chassis), diesel generator, small motorcycle on back. On first major trip out, Texas to Washington state and no TOAD. Engine load is always 70 to 80% and on most grades it's in the high 90%. Every time we are on a grade the engine coolant temp exceeds 225F. On a 6% grade, and we found many, we exceeded 226F many times. Boiling point of stock coolant is 225. The Edge cannot detect anything associated with tranny temp, appears to be no sensor installed or available to the ODBII port. By setting high temp alarms, we were able to shut off the Truck AC and allow the engine to cool down.

Tags
chassis, thor