Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 09:28 AM   #1

Arrow Starting from scratch..need guidance

After having owned a Class A gas, and more recently a 40' Class A DP, we're now looking to change things up and try something new!

We're very interested in used smaller class C's (B+?)

Must haves:

1) No overhang over windshield (a little bit ie: View/Navion is acceptable.)

2) Twin beds that can be converted to king.

3) Priced below $150K

4) < 30'

So far, I've only found:

Winnebago View/Navion 24V

Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW

I know Entegra Qwest is an option, but I feel better about the Tiffin and Winnebago quality. Am I wrong?

Phoenix Cruisers seem nice, but it doesn't appear the twins can be converted to king?

Questions:

1) What else should I be considering as far as brands/models and as far as Class C's of this type in general?

2) I know the VS30 Sprinter chassis is better, but should it be a deal breaker? What are the chassis upgrades that are important?

3) We only know the difference (especially in the ride and towing capability) between our gas and diesel Class A's. Will we see as big a difference between gas and diesel Class C's?

4) I've seen a lot of issues lately with Winnebago roofs, but it's only been Class A's. Are there issues with the Class C Winnebago roofs, as well?

5) What's the oldest year we should consider?

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions, but any and all input would be appreciated.

Oh, and I'm aware of the OCCC of the Wayfarer.
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 12:57 PM   #2

I think there are very few floorplans where you can convert two twins to a king. Lazy Daze has some floorplans like that but they also have a cab overhang.
pauldub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #3

Look into Phoenix Cruiser models 2551, 2552, 2950, and 3100. All have twin beds that you can convert yourself to a king. Model 2950 (discontinued some years ago) has a rear twin bed floor plan so you can keep it a king bed all the time without it getting in the way of daytime needs.

Phoenix Cruisers are built a lot better than most others.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:23 PM   #4

Phoenix cruiser or coach house. Even if you had to hire a cabinet shop to make you a setup to convert beds into a king it’s worth it
RangerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:10 AM   #5

I mentioned "Phoenix Cruiser" earlier. The company once offered (may still) for the rear bathroom floor plans, a system to quickly convert the twin beds to a king and back again. But personally I would prefer the rear twin bedroom version 2950 for a king bed conversion. With some additional modification, it looks like there is enough room to sleep sideways to offer some floor space in front of the bed.

Here is the floor plan of model 2950.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
Look into Phoenix Cruiser models 2551, 2552, 2950, and 3100. All have twin beds that you can convert yourself to a king. Model 2950 (discontinued some years ago) has a rear twin bed floor plan so you can keep it a king bed all the time without it getting in the way of daytime needs.

Phoenix Cruisers are built a lot better than most others.

I like the PC, but I do prefer the bed in the rear. Don't see any of the 2950 around for sale. I'm curious, do you know if the Gulfstream B Touring Cruiser is somehow related to the PC? They are almost identical in layout and in name, even.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:42 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As mentioned above you might want to consider a Coach House. The Platinum 271 (E-450) chassis has rear twin beds which is convertible to a king. There are several used ones on RV Trader that meet your requirements. CH is one of the highest quality Class B+ coaches you can purchase. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #8

The Phoenix Cruiser and BT cruiser have only size, visuals, and chassis in common. They are constructed completely differently. The BT Cruiser is an entry-level rig by comparison. I am not putting down the BT Cruiser. Just understand that you get what you pay for.

If on a tight budget, I personally would pursue a used PC than a new BT, but the used PC would have to be garaged or similarly protected most of it's life.

We bought our PC-2350 SEEN HERE, new in 2007. It really is a great rig, but we do keep it garaged when not on trips. It is quite a solid rig, especially because we special-ordered it without any slide-outs. We hope to own it 35+ years total, hence no slide-out to avoid such issues with age.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post
As mentioned above you might want to consider a Coach House. The Platinum 271 (E-450) chassis has rear twin beds which is convertible to a king. There are several used ones on RV Trader that meet your requirements. CH is one of the highest quality Class B+ coaches you can purchase. Good luck with your search.
I totally agree with Growler15. If you can afford a new or used CH in great condition, this will be your best choice, even over a PC that I love so much. A seamless body is the best feature any motorhome can have. A CH without a slide-out would be "tops", but I would prefer a PC slide-less over a CH with a slide-out. I despise slide-outs that much.
Old Yesterday, 03:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You must nail down your mission before you go looking. We have a 2020 Tiffin 25RW. We love it. It drives like a dream. The murphy bed is wonderful and makes for much more space when it's closed up. We leave it down most of the time in the campground but that's not a problem. We have the entertainment center option over the cab and love it. My only real complaint is cooling. Even with the 15K air conditioner, we still have to work to keep her cool in the summer sun. Look for lighter color paint jobs and find shade! Good luck on your search.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #11

We have a 22 Delano 24TT and love it. It has a nice queen bed that we put a extra 3 inch topper on. It has all the extra amenities you could want and a great layout. We had to have some items replaced but all part of getting a new unit. It rides great and I really like the sprinter chassis. Yes it cost more but you can look them both over and see the better quality in the chassis . Only you can figure if it is worth the cost difference. The Delano is not always easy to find and cost almost 200K but can be bought for less. It looks beautiful on the outside and inside. Capacity on ours is about 950 pounds. These are all just our opinions of course!
Stevemcb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
used PC would have to be garaged or similarly protected most of it's life.

Is this particular to the PC, or are you saying RVs in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grower15 View Post

I've done a bit of research on the Winnebagos and Tiffins, but Coach House is a new name to me. Are there years that I should stay away from? There's a 2013 about an hour and a half from us that we may check out. Anything I should know about that year or other years to seek out or avoid? Also, It doesn't look like the beds are convertible. Are they on newer models?
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Coach House is a small family owned company that has been making RVs since 1985. From my research and looking at floor plans they have been building them the same way since they started. Their hand laid, carbon fiber reinforced, single piece fiberglass shell is a trademark feature which eliminates seams and minimizes leaks. Iím not aware of any particular issues, although others may chime in with experiences or information. WRT the rear twin beds, the 2022 option sheet listed a king conversion for about $600. Iím pretty sure the conversion would fit the 2013 since their dimensions donít change from year to year. You could call the factory to confirm. The interiors are beautiful! They use high quality materials and solid wood. They are also well insulated. Iíll be interested in what you think after checking it out. If itís the one listed on RV Trader in NH it only has 20K miles, so hardly broken in (-: Good luck!

Tags
scr