RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Steering Problem. Wandering with Roadmaster Stabilizer

I bought a used E450 with a minnie winnie The rig wandered all over the road. The front tires had some uneven wear. I had the front wheels rotated, aligned and a roadmaster stabilizer installed. It was a great improvement even when towing my jeep. After 7,000 miles I had all 6 tires replaced with Hankooks. My wandering problem returned. It wasnít pulling, just wandering. Any suggestions?
Old New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing that comes to mind is to check the air pressure in the tires. If you haven't already you'll need to weigh the rig and then set the tire pressure to the mfg's recommendation based on their chart. Tires that are over inflated for the weight they are carrying can make the RV feel really squirrely.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:30 PM   #3

steering problem

we had loadmaster front and rear sway control bars replaced. ford bars are way to light.also did had loadmaster steering control installed, what a difference in steering and sway.run hankook tires inflated to 80 psi in rears and 70 in front...
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

The steering issue you describe is unfortunately a common problem with the Ford E series coaches .

I suggest you go to the search function on this site and type in " Ford E series steering issues" .

Everything from worn out shocks , O.E. sway bars , setting alignment caster not just camber and toe-in , installing rear air bags , installing steering stabilizer , and setting tire pressure for actual axle weights.

Any one of these will have an affect on steering .

Doing them all will make a dramatic improvement in handling and ride quality.

I know because I did all the above and it now drives like an SUV with one hand steering.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #5

Too little caster can result in wandering at highway speeds. For an E450 you want to have +5.5 to +6.0 degrees caster. Typically these units ship set at about +3.5 degrees.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, roadmaster, steering