RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #1

Steering stabilizer bracket to frame bolt torque?

I just took off the OEM steering stabilizer and put a new Monroe on, and I had to remove the passenger side frame bracket to get it out.

When I removed the three smaller bolts that hold the bracket to the frame I actually removed them with just a 3/8 ratchet handle, and they came out fairly easy. However I've seen on other forums someone mentioned that they should be tightened to 67 foot pounds, and someone else agreed, which seems crazy.

Then I found a E450 torque guide and it says 35 foot pounds for those three bolts, but they just keep turning. It feels like the bracket is against the frame, but I don't know if I should keep turning them, I'm just afraid it's going to strip.

Has anyone else removed and replaced that bracket? The bolts are snug now but I'm afraid they might be slightly stripped.

If so I have a tap set, I can retap the holes and get bigger bolts.

The more I read about it elsewhere, I have a feeling the threaded portion on the frame is just soft. The bolts look okay. I'm wondering if I could get just a little bit larger self tapping bolts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_154654.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	307225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Torques.png
Views:	8
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	307226  

Name:	20201107_164022.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	307230  
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #2

I cannot remember how much torque I put mine right now. However, I was surprised when I visited the Ford dealer with the numbers they gave me. They were low in my opinion, but did what I was told by them.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONWisconsin View Post
I cannot remember how much torque I put mine right now. However, I was surprised when I visited the Ford dealer with the numbers they gave me. They were low in my opinion, but did what I was told by them.
I really appreciate the reply. I have a feeling these bolts were just installed as self tapping bolts, and are not really meant to be taken out and reinstalled.

In fact I was surprised when I could remove them with just a 3/8 ratchet handle. I'm going to think about it and either retap the holes, or even put a through bolt, at least in one of the holes.

It's like the spring clamps they put on the radiator hoses. Makes it easier for manufacturing, but not for maintenance.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

Well it wasn't easy, but I got all three bracket holes retapped up to 7/16" x 14. Could not get a drill bit in the side holes to drill them out to about 25/64" for the tap ( just not enough room, even with a right angle drill) so I decided to get new M10 x 1.5 bolts (the stock bolt size) screwed them in with a couple washers, and cranked on them until I stripped the holes out. That made them just about the right size for the new tap.

But that was a problem too because I couldn't use the tap handle, except on the bottom hole, so I had to do all kinds of odd things to turn it, including using an adjustable wrench on the flat parts of it.

But I got it done, and all three bracket bolts are torqued to 35 foot-pounds with anti-seize on the threads, and the pivot points on the new Monroe stabilizer are at 48 foot-pounds, which is what they recommend. That's lower than what Ford recommends, but I'm going to go with the Monroe recommendation. They say if you torque it higher than that you could damage it.

Glad that's all done! Now I just have to see how it handles if I take it out next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20201108_155814.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	307332   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201108_160701.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	307333  

Tags