Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #1

Steering stabilizers

I have a 2010 class C 24 foot chateau towing a ford fusion and need some advice. I am towing with the blue ox.
The rv sits on a 350 ford chassis. There is a short wheel base on the RV. Would steering stabilizers help with to keep the RV in the lane. It takes lots of concentration and white knuckle steering to keep this rv in the lane while towing. Would SafeT steering control help? I am told the short wheel base, is the cause of the problem. Will a kayak rack like this one https://www.rvkayakracks.com/ or hinder the steering problem? I was thinking the weight between the toad and rv might help? thanks for all answer
surpra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2022, 10:32 AM   #2

When I first picked up my 2019 Minnie Winnie which is 23' in length I thought OMG "What have I done"! Driving scared me to death and I couldnt relax for one second. I put on the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and had the front end aligned. 20,000 miles later it tracks down a non crowned road with no hands on the wheel( pulling a toad). It is much less affected by passing trucks. Some trucks produce more push/pull than others. After talking to the folks at Hendersons. the only addition I might consider making would be a rear "trac" bar( not sway bar). I play a little with tire pressure depending on load and if I am towing. If i could fix the nations roads and eliminate the bone jarring potholes and pounding with an improved suspension( ie shocks and or springs as per Ron Ditmer) that would be an improvement I think.....Bob
Old 03-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

We owned a 23' Born Free and experienced similar problems to what you describe. The Safe-T-Plus will help but a rear track bar is also an addition that should reduce the side to side movement. Make sure your bushings are in good shape on your front and rear sway bars; that your shocks are in good working condition and finally, that your tire pressure is correct for your vehicles weight. If you are running at a weight that exceeds your axle capacity that will make the side to side movement even worse.

As far as the rack, I cannot see how it will add stability since it will add weight to the rear end of the coach adding to the potential lift to the front end making the steering issue, to some degree, worse.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by surpra View Post
I was thinking the weight between the toad and rv might help? thanks for all answer

NO, weight that far aft will NOT help with directional control. It will lighten the front axle and transfer more weight to the rear axle.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:04 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tire pressures set by weight, and ensuring alignment and all steering/suspension components are as they should be - before any aftermarket additions.

Safetyplus typically is a good addition. Improves straight line tracking, return to center when turning, and helps in windy conditions. Plus of course the safety in case of a catastrophic tire failure.

The Ford F53 chassis as used under class A gas motorhomes doesn't have a rear track bar, and sorely needs one. Resolves the tail wag the dog handling. Dunno if your chassis has the same situation.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #6

+Caster

Having too little +caster will create a dead "do nothing" zone between left and right at highway speeds. For example +3.5 degrees is too little caster and you want to have at least +5.5 degrees for highway driving.

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave,
thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:09 AM   #7

Safe-T-Plus has a facility about an hour west of Atlanta. Contacted them and asked if they sell direct. If you buy it from them they install for free. While I was there we spoke on the track bar and had them install that as well with the money they saved me on the steering bar.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
chs

I changed the steering Safe-T Plus Steering control, sway bars front and rear. I found adding to the caster made the biggest difference. Was at 0 degrees, now about 6.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #9

Cool It's just that simple...

"Tire pressures set by weight, and ensuring alignment and all steering/suspension components are as they should be - before any aftermarket additions."

Yep, dat's da fact Jack!

Adding aftermarket toys is usually expensive and not warranted until you know you have the proper alignment {as in enough caster} and proper psi for the load your tires are actually carrying {from the tire manufacturer's load inflation table - NOT door stickers or sidewall numbers}.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:36 PM   #10

I agree with most previous replies, but Capt Steve shares an excellent "first step" in your research. You might be quite surprised how little air is required in your front tires. Over-inflated front tires will negatively affect steering control.

Our 2007 E350 rig is 23'-8" long, with a standard 158" wheel base. I have the following suspension upgrades. Keep in-mind that Ford made suspension improvements in 2008 by adding an E350 rear stabilizer bar and redesigning the front one, so some of what I installed will be less influential on your 2010 E350 chassis.

- heavy duty Roadmaster front and rear stabilizer bars
- heavy duty Bilstein RV shock absorbers
- rear Henderson trac bar
- heavy duty front Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer

About the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. There is a slight inherent "play" with it. The unit has a lot of resistance (by design) to stabilize the steering. Adding the extra large and strong driver-side mounting bracket supplied with the unit, the two in combination, mounted to the end of the E350 frame, it slightly flexes the frame which I believe is the cause for the slight inherent "play".

For you who own an E350 chassis with a Safe-T-Plus.......Lay on the ground and look up at your Safe-T-Plus driver-side mounting bracket while you have someone else turn the steering wheel 1/8 turn left and right of center and watch the bracket bend (actually more like twisting) the end of the frame. I believe the frame flexing is the cause of the slight "play".

I imagine the same thing happens with an E450 frame though less so because the frame is slightly thicker.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:22 AM   #11

Great information here, I thank you for your time. I don't understand the adjusting the caster parts, so I will be searching and learning more today.
surpra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 08:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Great information here, I thank you for your time. I don't understand the adjusting the caster parts, so I will be searching and learning more today.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...el-226353.html
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:24 AM   #13
chs

Quote:
You may not need any parts.
When I had mine done they were able to get the 6 degrees I needed. Ask your alignment tech first.
chs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
For you who own an E350 chassis with a Safe-T-Plus.......Lay on the ground and look up at your Safe-T-Plus driver-side mounting bracket while you have someone else turn the steering wheel 1/8 turn left and right of center and watch the bracket bend (actually more like twisting) the end of the frame. I believe the frame flexing is the cause of the slight "play".
Ron, our coach has a front receiver hitch which really helps "box" the front frame together. The down side is I know it has some negative affect upon the crumple zones in the frame, which is where (I believe) you see the flex.

I did the alignment and added heavy front and rear sway bars, rear trac bar, Koni shocks, and the safe-t-steer. It all made a huge difference in drivability on our 24' C. Each thing made it better and better, until I finally got all of it in and on.

Tags
steering