Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2023, 09:21 AM   #1

strange badging

I have a sister that is looking at a 2008 Fleetwood icon 24? Now this is built on a Mercedes chassis and engine but it has a Dodge logo on the front. Seller said that it was in fact a Mercedes engine and chassis and it appears to be Mercedes but why dodge logos? I cannot find any type of info as to why this was done. any help would be appreciated. thank you.
im learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2023, 09:34 AM   #2

Dodge marketed the Sprinter line for a few years.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Dodge marketed the Sprinter line for a few years.
Yup, as part of Daimler, 2003-2009 model years.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:06 AM   #4

Likely has the pre-def engine. A winner for sure.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #5

Chrysler / Dodge was a US distributor for Sprinter vans in those years, during the Daimler / Chrysler merger years. So some, but not all Sprinters in the US market would have Dodge badging.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:59 PM   #6

strange badging

MB imported some of the sprinter vans in pieces to avoid import tariffs of 25% on light trucks and were then re-assembled here by Dodge Ram and Freightliner so there are some sprinters out there with Dodge and Freightliner branding
boaterbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:13 PM   #7

Only draw back would be the inline diesel engine , if the engine is the V-6 should be good for power .
Old 05-06-2023, 08:45 PM   #8

To answer your original question, every heard of Damiler Chrysler? MB and Chrysler parted ways in 2010. My '03 RAM pickup is a Damiler Chrysler product. Lots of rebadged vehicles in the world.

2008 could be a 2006 chassis with the 5 cyl inline diesel, I had one and liked it (winnebago view) as the economy went south and many manufacturers were stuck with chassis' for a couple of years before they put a coach on them and sold them.

The Sprinter Source Forum is the best source of information on Sprinters, and the Dodge shop manuals for the 5 cyl are found there if you need them. I won't post the link because the moderators go bonkers if you post a link to a non RVLife forum, just google it. I highly suggest joining the forum, it will be your very best source of info on the Sprinter chassis.

The 5 cyl chassis is know as the T1N chassis and was built thru the 2006 chassis model year, easily identified by the single wide air vent in the upper part of the hood. The V6 was introduced with the 2007 chassis year and is known as the NCV3 (New Concept Van 3rd generation). It is identified by having two separate air inlet louvers in the top of the hood.

Use ONLY lubricants and fluids meeting Mother Benz specs and having the word APPROVED on the container. The engines are sensitive to having the correct motor oil in them. Brake fluid for example is DOT4 plus, no one makes or markets DOT4+ except for Benz, no one. Lots of DOT4 out there but the Benz version has a higher flash point.

https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/
This is the CAR section, Vans have their specs and fluids listed in the car section and not the truck section. This replaces the old BEVO system since Mother Benz split off the truck division.

Once you select engine oil then open the first listing, sheet 223.2, then find your engine listing and follow across for the oil specs. You will want 5W40 oil per footnote 3 and spec 229.51 or 229.52 are the best choices. I don't think a 2008 or 2007 chassis would have a particulate filter.

Mobil 1 5w40 Foreign Car oil I think has the correct spec on the back of it. Get the wrong oil and you will have EGR valve problems.

Transmission fluid has been upgraded a couple of times since the owners manual was published. I think the current spec is 236.14 for the NAG1 5 speed (New Automatic Gearbox, 1 generation). Most easily found ATF fluid in the US is Shell ATF134 which most big city Shell distributors carry. Fuchs Titan 4134 can be found in O'Relly's Auto Parts.

It took me a couple of years to figure out most of the in and out of the MB spec system. The complexity of it scares a lot of people off. Many dealers even will service the engine with the wrong oil, so beware.

Charles

This is my WBO View 2007 on '06 chassis, note the single air inlet below the windshield (I removed the Dodge grill and installed the MB grill and steering wheel logo.) 2007 and up Sprinter has two separate louvers in the hood, one is A/C inlet and one is engine inlet. There is a air filter in the air conditioner box under the hood.