Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2022, 07:27 AM   #1

Strange outlet innards....

2005 Dynaquest. Changing 15 amp. Outlets to current hi tech outlets that are gfi with USB and c type charging ports at fast charge at 5 amps. Outlet under bed looks strange, sharp/razors stick/jag into each 14 gauge 15 amp wire ! I'm just doing the 15 amp outlets, I'll leave the 20 amp outlets alone micro and a/c. Any way this strange outlet has Line in Molex and Load out Molex. I was expecting wire nuts, but instead I see this mess. By the way no Junction box's anywhere, everything is done in outlets. So no Gold bolt for Hot, no Silver lug for neutral no Green lug nut for ground. Does this look safe to you ? If I add junction box they will be new 2022 style Wagobox and their new 221 Wago spring lever connectors.

Thanks
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220804_094404.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	372868   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220804_093621.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	372869  

Chatham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #2

it looks safe to me.

What I see is a white wire, black wire , and ground .
I see 2 cables with 3 wires inside like a typical home Romex wire.

The box appears to be a quick junction box where 2 wires are pushed into a scissor type of connection where you push 2 wires into them and the connector cuts the insulation on the wire and makes a contact to the 2 wires.
This electrically be the equivalent of stripping 2 wires and using a wire nut to make the connection.

If this was a typical home 120VAC wire situation. The Black wire would be the power Line 1, white wire would be a ground ( line 2 ) the copper wire would also be a system ground. Green wires are also system grounds.

Ground fault outlets usually look a small currents that happen between lines to open up the lines so you won't get shocked. A circuit breaker is different as it opens up a line when there is a large amount of amps flowing thru a circuit .

I home this helps you .
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Must be fairly "typical". I opened up one in the bunk area of my rig and it looked exactly like this design. Also replaced one near the stovetop (on the backsplash) with a part I got from Lichtsinn. Looked the same. Not real easy to install but doable. I believe the folks at the factory have push on tools that make this go fast and easy.......... for the DIYer with a pair of long nose....not so much.

Good luck with the mod and safe travels to ya.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:54 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pretty standard in RV's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:06 PM   #5

Thin wall ; quick install outlets pretty much the RV industry standard. ( Unfortunately )

Because when used to the limit this usually happens .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	More outlet issues.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	372938  
Old 08-05-2022, 11:10 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure how many MFRs, but a common one is by DIAMOND GROUP, and they are called a SPEED BOX, expensive special tool available to press wires into box.
Old 08-06-2022, 05:39 AM   #7

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwftlaud View Post
it looks safe to me.

The box appears to be a quick junction box
I home this helps you .
It's not a junction box, no junction box anywhere throughout RV. It's an outlet with Line in and Load out. Looks weird to me so changing these OUT. Thanks for input though but I feel safer with newer outlets.

Thanks again,
Patrick
Old 08-06-2022, 05:41 AM   #8

Exclamation How do you know which is Load out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Not sure how many MFRs, but a common one is by DIAMOND GROUP, and they are called a SPEED BOX, expensive special tool available to press wires into box.
How can you quickly determine which is LOAD out. Don't inspections require quick inspection of outlets ?

Patrick
Old 08-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #9

Arrow Now I am frightened by this cheap stuff in $$$$ RV !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Thin wall ; quick install outlets pretty much the RV industry standard. ( Unfortunately )

Because when used to the limit this usually happens .
Mine (15 amp under bed near inverter and standalone charger) has dust inside this cheap outlet.

Patrick
Old 08-07-2022, 06:20 AM   #10

https://youtu.be/QL0t0TnhxaA
Old 08-08-2022, 05:52 AM   #11

I too have those same cheapy outlets. This is a reminder to me to replace every outlet with "Screw-In" terminations. No trouble yet, and don't want any trouble later.

The challenge with such a change is the need for a very shallow box, steel or plastic. The job is not as simple as it may appear.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
That is your standard shallow RV outlet. Installed correctly they are very safe.

The issue comes up when RVers think they are in a sticks and bricks house and overload circuits. They just keep plugging stuff into outlets not realizing that each device draws a few amps and therefore lowers the voltage on the circuit. Lower voltage means more amps which means more heat. Manufacturers could do a better job using more circuits with fewer outlets on a circuit.

Standard household outlets, the ones you can buy at a big box store fore $.99 should never be used in an Rv. There are only 2 ways to connect them. Either use the jab in holes for a 14 gauge wire, which requires bending them at a 90 degree angle or trying to get enough slack on both in and out cables, screwing them on and then stuffing it all into the outlet box. Screws come loose in an RV. They would need to be glued and taped to prevent loosing up.

Yes, they require a special tool to install properly. It’s not a $3.00 wire stripper. I have one I paid about $35 for. I carry a half dozen or so self contained RV outlets in my spare parts box. The outlets are about $7.00 each. Putting the right outlet in with the right tool is cheaper than burning down your coach.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatham View Post
Right off the video shows us an improperly wired "Punch-down" outlet that has a second wire layered upon the first wire. The second wire does not "experience " the same crush upon it, as did the first wire. In fact, punching down a second wire into the forks, relaxes the initial crush on the first wire and now you have a high resistance connection doomed to failure.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:17 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
They are your typical RV outlets used in RV's and possibly mobile homes.

Get rid of them and replace with standard household outlets and receptacles if possible, depending on their location.

They are a fire hazard if the wires are not secured tightly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211024_101425.thumb.jpg.595689b51f3fa89091f298e058e40f84.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	373111  
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote