Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #1
xlh

Stunning Replaceable Cab Class C

My first motorhome was a 72 Winnebago Brave I drove new off the lot. In the last mere half century I've seen a lot of different motorhome designs but this one that I just came across by chance totally floored me:

Coxx Mobile Systems | X-Low chassis

It's not listed specifically as a motorhome but not only would it make an awesome extra low overall height unit (imagine the reduction in aerodynamic drag), but the concept of just unbolting the entire cab and replacing it while leaving the rest of the unit untouched has officially blown my mind.

I searched for Coxx on this forum and didn't find anything. Has this been discussed before?
xlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #2

Very interesting, I see they do go to 4 meters (13 feet) in height.

But, you could build a very nice rig under 8' with that chassis. Along with the small class A styling using the short cab. 25' with a low overall height and full air ride would be sweet.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:14 AM   #3
xlh

I think it opens up all sorts of possibilities. If you wanted to go totally nuts you could do a full two storey that didn't need to be expanded upwards at all. Figure around 7 feet for the main living area and then about 4 feet for a second storey sleeping only and/or kid's play area and/or storage area. But even if you wanted to stick to a more or less conventional format that low overall height could allow for the whole height of the living area to tuck behind the cab without any significant upper protrusions. Let's not even mention the wheelchair accessibility of such a low floor.

Then when you've toured around in it a few years and worn out the mechanicals you just buy a new cab and you're on the road again. Heck, by then you might be able to swap it out for an electric cab.

This is one of the things that I'm myself for not thinking of 20 years ago!
Old 09-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlh View Post
My first motorhome was a 72 Winnebago Brave I drove new off the lot. In the last mere half century I've seen a lot of different motorhome designs but this one that I just came across by chance totally floored me:

Coxx Mobile Systems | X-Low chassis

It's not listed specifically as a motorhome but not only would it make an awesome extra low overall height unit (imagine the reduction in aerodynamic drag), but the concept of just unbolting the entire cab and replacing it while leaving the rest of the unit untouched has officially blown my mind.

I searched for Coxx on this forum and didn't find anything. Has this been discussed before?

Interesting concept .

For a Motorhome conversion , a major downside to the design are the main frame members.

The section appears to be small and lightweight which will impact towing ability and GVWC ..

I'm sure the issue can be mitigated through engineering changes . However , it would probably raise the deck height significantly and add to the vehicles dry weight .

Great idea for it's proposed uses , for a RV conversion we'll have to wait and see.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #5

My laptop won't open the link or most links to that company. One site I could go on said they're making vehicles with up to a 16,500 # GVWR, which is 2,000# more than the Ford E 450. I have no idea what the GCWR is.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
That's very similar to the old GMC MH's with the toronado front drive. I forget just what they were called, but they were very low and aerodynamic. Still lots out there, and more just sitting and slowly sinking into the ground.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
To the OP - EU chassis, EU certification. Cost to bring it to the US, certify it, and build on it - way beyond any company's willingness to invest.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:18 AM   #8

It looks like they're here already.
https://www.linkedin.com/company/cox...le-systems-usa
Old 09-18-2021, 06:45 PM   #9

Somewhat reminds me of what Winnebago did with the Rialta. They obtained the front end of the Euro vans (they actually came shipped back to back with splices in between to hold them together) and then mated their own rear chassis and axle to it.

The LeSharo was done in a similar fashion using a Renault delivery van cab/front frame/drive train. (what a piece of junk that was)

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	factory_11_ev.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	343517  
Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #10

Being that low to the ground and in a decent length, would that present challenges with some raised RR crossings, etc?
Old 09-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Being that low to the ground and in a decent length, would that present challenges with some raised RR crossings, etc?
Yeah ... that was my observation also. The frame looks too low to the ground for me.

We want our MH to be flexible enough to take on dirt/gravel roads whenever needed with maybe even some ups, downs, and moderate ruts on the road surface - so some semblance of ground clearance is necessary. Our Ford E450 based short Class C gives us that.
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
chs

Never work. IMHO
With the frame so low, how would you run the grey and black tank lines or the black tanks itself. You would need to add a sub floor above the frame and below the floor to house everything that is usually below the frame.

I have the 28Z model and even that has the 3" black tank line runs across and below the driveshaft
Old 09-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #13
xlh

From what I understand from the site, there are two heights available, the 250mm and 400mm. I'm not advocating for this chassis to become a motorhome (I just thought the "unbolt the cab" thing was genius) but it would be fairly easy to develop a floorplan with all the water-associated features in one section of the layout with a slight stepup. Where there's a will there's a way!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #14

Cortez
5240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace