Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #15

I have the upgrade sway bars and stabalizer but when pulling my offroad jeep on my trailer the hitch roller would drag when pulling into the yard and at places with little dips so I added the firestone air bags on the rear, It made a great improvement on handling and ride not to mention the added rear clearance at the hitch. the ride is much smoother and the bumps are not as harsh.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkrel View Post
I have the upgrade sway bars and stabalizer but when pulling my offroad jeep on my trailer the hitch roller would drag when pulling into the yard and at places with little dips so I added the firestone air bags on the rear, It made a great improvement on handling and ride not to mention the added rear clearance at the hitch. the ride is much smoother and the bumps are not as harsh.
How big is your Sunseeker? I've always thought that logic for the air helper springs made sense on a bigger unit--gets you off the overload springs, maybe. For my smaller unit, I always think I need LESS spring rate, not more.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I have towed for the past 11 years, with a 94 e350 shuttle conversion to rv (22-23ft). unladen 10600ish. no rear sway bar,, had bags, frt sway with poly bush, hd shocks. good tires inflated.. drug a 7x16 with avg 46-4800..had it over 6k for a year.. used a WD hitch. twice i was scaled at a toll booth 17300 and 18100ish OOPS..
Point is with trailer, it drove awesome.. without trailer , it would bob and i learned to steer into a pass etc..

I hve a 30ft minnie, 1996, E350.. towed same traler last year, no rear sway bar, stk shocks.. 29K on unit. unlaiden is around 11800 ready to pull out, some times 12k+ depends.. Towed last year it had roll but not white knuckle.. wd hitch cranked. it drops 1,5 inch and I lift it 1" back up.. Overall the long wheel base helps..

This year, we did new KYB MH specific shocks, updated steering stabill ( just a hd offroad) . frt oe sway with new poly bush. . added a Helwig to rear,, running tires a bit up on airt 5-7 psi, still under max inflation by 5 or so..
Towed a few times, and it was good, wife could not tell or complained.. that I was joey chitwood.. Ran last 2 weekends solo.. loaded .. had to be 12K+.. WAY better on slow turns off camber onto dirt roads and chopped out truck stops.. On open road, I can feel more smallbumps on rear axle without trailer,, maybe drop that 5 p[si.. we shall see,, One more trip down south in november..

Oh I have a home made track bar,, I will get photos once I redo the on bracket to be pretty.. over winter.. being a 96 options are limted.. I have around 5 hours into it and $75 in hiem joints.. A nice set of brackets will take me all day on the mill but "eye candy" is inpressive..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana170 View Post
Nice write up, Ron. A few years ago I installed Roadmaster front and rear bars on my purchased used 2006 Coach House 23' on E450 chassis. Huge difference; the sailor really sobered up. I used Roadmaster after I studied the installation instructions and info available online. The Roadmaster bars are a bit more difficult to install, particularly at the front. But the the way they are mounted makes them more effective than the Hellwig (hope I did not insult someone's religious beliefs). I installed the latest version of the very expensive Koni shocks, I am pleased with them.
It sounds like you and I have near identical conclusions after our efforts. I am happy you are running safer and more comfortable.

Very little talk is about the improvement in "safety" and "driver fatigue" from the suspension improvements.

My own experience with driver fatigue is that it is cut by 50% to 66%, based off my first motor home prior to it's own suspension improvements. I can drive 2 to 3 times longer before requiring a break. My bladder always determines when to stop, not my stamina.

Our suspension improvements saved our lives once, avoiding going over the edge of the road, down into a ravine. I was able to maintain control in a situation that would have otherwise resulted in our deaths.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
How big is your Sunseeker? I've always thought that logic for the air helper springs made sense on a bigger unit--gets you off the overload springs, maybe. For my smaller unit, I always think I need LESS spring rate, not more.
I have the 31ss its 31 ft 11 inches The air bags give it some lift but also cushions the bumps and makes for a softer ride, I also notice that the noise in the cabinets and the stove and microwave are a lot softer
Old 10-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Dittmer View Post
It sounds like you and I have near identical conclusions after our efforts. I am happy you are running safer and more comfortable.

Very little talk is about the improvement in "safety" and "driver fatigue" from the suspension improvements.

My own experience with driver fatigue is that it is cut by 50% to 66%, based off my first motor home prior to it's own suspension improvements. I can drive 2 to 3 times longer before requiring a break. My bladder always determines when to stop, not my stamina.

Our suspension improvements saved our lives once, avoiding going over the edge of the road, down into a ravine. I was able to maintain control in a situation that would have otherwise resulted in our deaths.

I haven't had a situation where I thought my upgraded sway bars saved our lives. But I absolutely agree about the driver fatigue part. The few short trips I did before the sway bars were exhausting. After that, no big deal. I also think insulating the doors helped, as it cut down on the brutal wind noise. That part is probably not an issue with the Phoenix Cruiser setup, but for us people with a cabover and 90 degree house walls--it all adds up.

For anyone doing long drives--upgrade your suspension. You'll love the difference. I say this as someone that has an underloaded RV with a good wheelbase ratio.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRider View Post
I haven't had a situation where I thought my upgraded sway bars saved our lives.
Here is my life saving "Suspension Upgrade" story.

We were leaving Yosemite National Park from the north east exit. Anyone who has travelled out from that exit is very familiar with the steep decline for many many miles with winding turns.

I used low gear to avoid riding the brakes for all those miles, but to avoid slowing traffic so badly, I would switch gears on the straights, then back again into low gear and apply the brake when approaching each curve.

I completely misjudged one curve in the road. I took it way too fast. The cabinet doors swung open, pots and pans were falling on the floor, and worst of all my wife was screaming at me.

The suspension upgrades allowed me to maintain control rather than throw all the RV's weight on half the tires which would not have allowed me to slow down fast enough while in the turn. I think we would have gone off the road and into pine boxes.
Ron Dittmer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, sunseeker, suspension, test, upgrade