Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #1

Super C drivability?

Just checking into Super C's. Do they, in general, drive like the truck they look like, or are they pretty comfy to drive? Thanks. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2021, 05:13 PM   #2

We have a super c, Freightliner Cascadia chassis. Solid front axle, rear axles are on air bags.
It drives very well.
On most roads it rides very well. When the road gets rough you can feel it in the steering wheel and in the cab, but the air ride seats help smooth it out.
MemByTheMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
My F700 based unit is MUCH better than a typical truck based unit because i converted the rear suspension to Full Air ride. It drive just like a pickup other than the 8 foot width and 31foot length.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #4

I have owned 2 super C's. First, based on the M2 chassis and the second is on a class 8. The M2 was more maneuverable but didn't ride nearly as well as the class 8. The class 8 is great down the freeway and 2 lane main roads but is somewhat limiting in tight situations. With the long wheel base the turning radius is greater than most other motorhomes. Other than that, it rides great and doesn't wear you out driving longer days. Cross winds have little effect, you can tow anything, climb any grade and most important, you can go down the other side safely.
bhammond1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #5

We have a Renegade Valencia 38RB on a Freightliner S2RV chasis. We traded in a gas class a about the same size and the difference in the ride is amazing. We felt the class a would have fallen apart after a few years because it was do rough riding. The super c is much more dtable and comfortable to drive not to mention a host of other issues with the class a gasser.
GWL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #6

Thanks!

That is some real information, folks! I thank you very much. I have a lot to learn about the different frames available (perhaps that is limited once I choose a manufacturer) and will read earnestly until I get educated. I am beginning to think that my manufacturer list will be pretty short. Some of these rigs are about $300K and that is out in left field somewhere where I have never mowed the grass. Cheers. j
Old 09-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
That is some real information, folks! I thank you very much. I have a lot to learn about the different frames available (perhaps that is limited once I choose a manufacturer) and will read earnestly until I get educated. I am beginning to think that my manufacturer list will be pretty short. Some of these rigs are about $300K and that is out in left field somewhere where I have never mowed the grass. Cheers. j
I know I came to the party a little late, but I didn't see any comments on the Ford F550 platform.

About 8 months ago, we downsized from a 42 foot fifth wheel toy hauler, to a 33 foot Thor Omni, XG32. It is on the F550 chassis with the 6.7 turbo diesel. We love it! Yes, it has much less room than the toy hauler, but is much easier to drive (especially in town and smaller two lane roads). If rides very much like the F350 dually that we pulled the toy hauler with. Of course it doesn't ride like the unloaded 350, but comparing the 350 with the hauler to the 550 MH, I have to say the MH is easier on me.

And, by the way, the 350 with the same 6.7 diesel got 7-9 mpg (pulling the hauler) depending on wind and hills. The new Super C consistently gets 11-11.5.
AlfaBaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #8

I have a Ram 5500 based super-C which is just under 37ft long. It rides fine and is a pleasure to drive. As with all rigs this heavy and big you’ll not get the ride of a regular vehicle. The nice thing is I have diesel to easily pull my Ram 1500, a long front end for protection, and a relatively quiet cab going down the road. Added timbren SES bump stop replacement rubber springs to reduce roll that really wasn’t bad before I added them. It made the ride even nicer.
Old 09-10-2021, 10:41 PM   #9

Good info. Thank you. Presently, I think my wife has nixed the idea of an "ugly, way too high to crawl up into truck". The beasts appeal to me viscerally, but I am not ready to trade her in for a Nexus 34TSC.... not today, anyway. Cheers. j
Old 09-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Good info. Thank you. Presently, I think my wife has nixed the idea of an "ugly, way too high to crawl up into truck". The beasts appeal to me viscerally, but I am not ready to trade her in for a Nexus 34TSC.... not today, anyway. Cheers. j
Good luck on converting your wife. We have different ideas of what is ugly
Old 09-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
We guessed that to get a Passenger Bus type of ride, we would want a Bus Chassis under our MH.

We have a Gillig Bus chassis and it has delivered a quiet comfortable ride.

I know Country Coach patterned their proprietary chassis after @ 1997 on the Gillig Bus Chassis.

I suspect that is true of manufacturers that formerly used Gillig Bus for their chassis, such as Monaco, Beaver, and American Coach.

Also all Prevost, Newell and Foretravel rigs have bus quality ride chassis.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #12

Thanks once again....

.... for the feedback on this, esp the Ram 5500 chassis. We are now looking at the Dynamax line in the Isata 5, 28SS and 30FW range. Now I can get my nasty tough frame and my squeeze can get the looks and easy entrance to the cab. The only snag I can see so far is no rotating passenger seat, and in some models or years there is an ugly (even to me) console between the two cab seats that will make in/out kind of tough, esp w/ two AH minnie doxies sleeping between the seats. I am calling Dyna as soon as possible to check into (a) how far back the passenger seat slides, which may do it, or (b) me, them, or an RV shop swapping that fancy lay-back seat for a more normal one that swivels. Other than that, I see no reason to not get one. If it ain't one dang thing it's another..... j
Old 09-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
.... for the feedback on this, esp the Ram 5500 chassis. We are now looking at the Dynamax line in the Isata 5, 28SS and 30FW range. Now I can get my nasty tough frame and my squeeze can get the looks and easy entrance to the cab. The only snag I can see so far is no rotating passenger seat, and in some models or years there is an ugly (even to me) console between the two cab seats that will make in/out kind of tough, esp w/ two AH minnie doxies sleeping between the seats. I am calling Dyna as soon as possible to check into (a) how far back the passenger seat slides, which may do it, or (b) me, them, or an RV shop swapping that fancy lay-back seat for a more normal one that swivels. Other than that, I see no reason to not get one. If it ain't one dang thing it's another..... j
As an owner of an Isata 5 I can tell you that it is more difficult to exit the front seats to the back. I don’t think it is too difficult but not “easy” by class A or larger Super-C standards. The floor drops down in the front so swiveling seats would put your legs straight out like you’re sitting on the floor.
The outside storage is great compared to a regular C and that is why the floor is higher. Probably other reasons like having auto-leveling jacks and room underneath for other stuff.
My 85lb Black Lab sometimes lies between the seats with his head on my lap although I can’t fathom how he thinks it is comfortable. Closes his eyes when rubbing the ears.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaBaz View Post
And, by the way, the 350 with the same 6.7 diesel got 7-9 mpg (pulling the hauler) depending on wind and hills. The new Super C consistently gets 11-11.5.
This may be due to the fact that Ford derates the 6.7 in the F550 and up.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote