Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class C Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Surge protector needed?

We are occasional RV’ers. We have solar but like to plug in to our pedestal at home when not is use so we can maintain our high pitch mousers and our electronic moisture catcher.
We often have power outages and so we are wondering if it makes sense to purchase a small portable power surge protector. If so , which would be good .
We have a 22’ class c .
Thank you !
Cheryl
Gabgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

Sure, it does make sense. But remember, good surge protectors, like the Progressive line, aren't cheap AND they have consumables that are replaceable. Progessive devices have a removable set of MOVs that you need to replace when the little green light goes red. Usually once a decade thing unless you live in a lightening strike area...like Florida.

OR, and this is what I did for 10 years before I finally bought an RV EMS from Progressive, whenever there's a storm coming, I'd just unplug the RV and wait it out. But I lived in it too so it was easy to anticipate. Never had to stay unplugged more than a few hours. Time to read a few more chapters in the current book I was reading. If I just HAD to have power, I'd fire up the generator for a while.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

It makes more sense to have a whole house surge protector.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Cheryl, don't waste your money on a cheap surge protector. There are many AC problems that can do extensive damage to your RV other than surges. Spend the +/- $300 and get one of the Progressive Industries EMS series protection devices! It will be the cheapest insurance you will ever buy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabgirl View Post
We are occasional RV’ers. We have solar but like to plug in to our pedestal at home when not is use so we can maintain our high pitch mousers and our electronic moisture catcher.
We often have power outages and so we are wondering if it makes sense to purchase a small portable power surge protector. If so , which would be good .
We have a 22’ class c .
Thank you !
Cheryl
This one is probably the best portable around, and Best Converter usually has the best prices. I got mine there a few years ago. It really is a must have item to protect your RV electrical systems. Nothing is perfect of course, but these are darn close.
https://www.bestconverter.com/EMS-PT...l#.YU9XVX0pB4E
Old 09-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Good idea, I’ll have my electrician look at.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #7

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Cheryl, don't waste your money on a cheap surge protector. There are many AC problems that can do extensive damage to your RV other than surges. Spend the +/- $300 and get one of the Progressive Industries EMS series protection devices! It will be the cheapest insurance you will ever buy!
Yes I’ll check this out as well as Hughes as they also seem highly rated. Then again, we just may be ok if we are covered here on our own property with our electrical set up( will have it checked out by our Electrican) and the fact that we 95% are boon dockers. Living on a very treed island we often have power outages. Very rare we have lightening as I read that is the worst .